Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Sunday night is here, and there is little appreciable difference in clearing since Friday morning. I am going to leave the apfelwein in the inner patio - temps will be in the mid-40's this week, so while it's not the low 30's, it's certainly lower than in my office/fermentation room.

Or should I leave it in the warmer room - would the warmth (62-68 on any given day) help in clearing with Premier Cuvee yeast? Anyone?

hi just go into brewing and had a carboy laying around to i made this to the orig recipe (i think) when i was at the LHBS i bought a 4# bag of corn sugar. i split tha bag about half which came to about 8 cups. is this about right? the reason i ask is from reading 100+ pages of this i read about half batches using 2 cups table sugar.
p.s. i don't have a hydrometer. it was broke during shipping and i couldnt wait to start brewing.

Well, I took the (tiny) plunge and made two 1.5 gallon batches, one with brown sugar and cinnamon and one per EdWort's original recipe. I used brown 6 liter Tap-A-Draft bottles so I won't be able to see it clears. Any comments about that? I'm thinking just ride out the 4-5 weeks, kill the yeast off and back sweeten.....

Why do I have the sinking feeling that this will become a staple in my house? At least it gets SWMBO into the action.

I have part of a brown sugar/cinnamon batch left. It never did clear but it tastes so good who cares? It's also very tasty mulled with a little additional spice and poured into mugs over some honey. In that case it doesn't really matter if it's cloudy--looks good anyway.

Well, I took the (tiny) plunge and made two 1.5 gallon batches, one with brown sugar and cinnamon and one per EdWort's original recipe. I used brown 6 liter Tap-A-Draft bottles so I won't be able to see it clears. Any comments about that? I'm thinking just ride out the 4-5 weeks, kill the yeast off and back sweeten.....

Why do I have the sinking feeling that this will become a staple in my house? At least it gets SWMBO into the action.

let it go longer before killing off the yeast. all my batches still had bubbling airlocks after 4 and sometimes even 5 weeks. i'd say 6 or 7 and you should be good, but i've always waited 8 to bottle just in case

I made a batch the other day and see very little activity(a few small bubbles) and none in the airlock. Some of the yeast stuck to the side of the funnel so I was thinking that may be why.Can you over pitch this stuff as I was thinking about pitching another packet?

Anybody ever use Motts apple juice. I've made it with Tree Top already and it turned out good. The wife picked up Motts since they were out of Tree Top. I'm pretty sure they're too similar to tell a difference, but just wondering if anyone's used it before.

I used some Kroger generic brand juice and I and everyone who has tried it think its great. I don't think you can go wrong no matter what juice you have.

I popped open my first bottle on christmas day, one i started in september and bottled in November.

Gotta say, It seemed very lacking on flavor. Tasted like an apple flavored VitaminWater more than applewine.

Maybe i didnt add enough sugar, or maybe the apple comes out more with age

ill let it sit for awhile, see what happens :rockin:

Could someone recommend an amount of Splenda they used to backsweeten the Apfelwein? I have looked thru a lot of the posts, but am getting dizzy...there are so many!!
I'd like to sweeten it just a little, not terribly much. But I dont even know where to start with amounts!!
Thanks in advance-

I just tested my Apfelwein which I started on 12/22 (2 weeks ago) and the aroma is still slightly sulfuric even after chilled. I used costco not from concentrate juice with KV-1116 yeast (my LHBS did not carry the Red Star Montrachet) and also added some yeast nutrients. My gravity was down to 1.010 from a wopping 1.074 (8.5% ABV?).

Throughout the fermentation so far I have not gotten any huge gorilla farts although it did give off a slightly not so rosy aroma for the first couple days. This aroma is still slightly noticeable though. Is this normal? Will it go away after the suggested 4-5 weeks? I was thinking about trying to halt the ferment at around 1.005 so I could leave some of the apple taste in it, but I'm now wondering if I stopped it, would it keep the not so pleasant smell? I could stomach it as it is "my brew" but I don't want to have to give a "Don't worry about the smell, it's natural!" speal to my friends every time I serve some or give some away.

I just opened a bottle that I started in June and bottled around the 7th of November....
Its the longest I have let one age yet.
I wish I would have hidden more of them and let em age.
This stuff is sooooo much better than the ones we drank at 4 weeks in the bottle.
I bet its even better after 6 months in the bottle.

If I am getting a kind of fart like smell/apple smell a couple days after I have got it set to ferment, is this normal? The stopper is bubbling every few seconds. The color still looks good.

If I am getting a kind of fart like smell/apple smell a couple days after I have got it set to ferment, is this normal? The stopper is bubbling every few seconds. The color still looks good.

Perfectly normal. Search the forum for "rhino farts" and count your blessings if all you have is a little :)

Yep. One day after I "brewed" the apfelwein I came home to a smell which I thought must have been the result of the largest "log" in the litterbox known to mankind. 'Twas not the kitties. The smell even made them wrinkle their noses. Took a few days (and 2 glade plug-ins) to subside.

In my current batch (4.5 gal, started on Dec 6, 2009) I used the the recommended 1 tsp/gal of Fermax yeast nutrient and got barely any Rhino Farts. It was also very cool in the basement (56-62 deg F) so maybe that contributed to the decreased SO2 production.
Hope the Yeast Nutrient doesn't provide any off flavors.

I just read about 50 pages on this and just craigslisted a few carboys last week. I was thinking how would this turn out for a first time recipe. I havent made wine before either.

4.5 gallons apple juice or cider
1 or 2 Lb dextrose
1 Lb brown sugar
1 packet monichet yeast
1 can apple concentrate

I would boil the juice with the sugars first then put in a ice bath to bring down to pitching temp or naturally cool. Is a ice bath necessary?

I also have a wyeast activator in the fridge for a hefe... I wonder how that would turn out instead?

It will be fermenting in a winter baltimore basement... prob 55-60 degrees

Also do I need to add a campden tablet at all to the juice or cider?

When completed I intend to keg and carbonate at 10 or 12 PSI.

How do you think this will turn out any insight is appreciated.

Ummm...ok, so I moved this summer and with a 2 year old had a bunch of stuff going on...yada yada yada. I've got 2 5-gal carboys full of this stuff (made on 4/1/09 and 5/21/09) thats just been sitting in the basement chillaxin...what should I do?

I'm sippin on a uncarbed sample now and it's smooth...exactly like wine...not much bite, slight apple taste. I wonder if carbed and chilled will make a difference? If I carb, should I add a packet of yeast to the bottling bucket since these batches are 8 and 9 months old?

I just read about 50 pages on this and just craigslisted a few carboys last week. I was thinking how would this turn out for a first time recipe. I havent made wine before either.

1 or 2 Lb dextrose
1 Lb brown sugar
1 packet monichet yeast
1 can apple concentrate

I would boil the juice with the sugars first then put in a ice bath to bring down to pitching temp or naturally cool. Is a ice bath necessary?

I also have a wyeast activator in the fridge for a hefe... I wonder how that would turn out instead?

Why do you want to boil it?

Hegh,

I was thinking to boil it and add a campden tablet to eliminate other bacteria that may be in there and to dissolve the sugars to make a evenly mixed mixture before I pitch.

Oh. Dear. Gods.

I brought my first batch of this stuff, kegged, to the new year's party I went to last week. A full 5 gallon batch.

There's probably no more than a gallon left in the keg. :drunk: :mug:

HOLY SHEET THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! Ed, my hat's off to you. I can't wait to see what the next two batches taste like once I let them age for awhile. And I need to refill my now-empty carboy. And find something to fill up my new 6.5 gallon carboy from Christmas...Should I dare having...FOUR batches going at once?!?! Or would that just be overkill?

1 or 2 Lb dextrose
1 Lb brown sugar
1 packet monichet yeast
1 can apple concentrate

no need to boil, just be sure everything is clean. make sure that your AJ concentrate has no preservatives. also, i'd recomend doing a batch at the same time with no brown sugar just to compare the results. trust me, you can never have too much of this stuff kicking around, and it has this strange habit of dissapearing on the very same nights that i forget what i did.

one more note- personally i really don't care for this when it's carbed, it's just so much better plain. but that's just me. also i really prefer it made with juice over cider, it's just more crisp and fresh tasting.

...Should I dare having...FOUR batches going at once?!?! Or would that just be overkill?

Afewlwein... Overkill? I don't think there is such a thing. My largest regret right now is that I have a mead I am making for a coworker that is taking up precious Apfelwein space! 1 carboy of Apfelwein just isn't enough in the pipeline.

Hegh,

I was thinking to boil it and add a campden tablet to eliminate other bacteria that may be in there and to dissolve the sugars to make a evenly mixed mixture before I pitch.

If you are using campden tablets for sanitizing your juice, use 1 per gallon (crushed up). Mix them in well, and wait a couple days. No need to boil (which would destroy much of the flavor and nutrients in the juice).

Honestly, you really don't need to worry about it. Everybody else just sanitizes the fermenting vessel and dumps everything in. Doesn't even matter if the sugar isn't completely dissolved, since it'll dissolve as the yeast move everything around and reduce the sugar concentration in solution.

I am going to leave the apfelwein in the inner patio - temps will be in the mid-40's this week, so while it's not the low 30's, it's certainly lower than in my office/fermentation room.

Or should I leave it in the warmer room - would the warmth (62-68 on any given day) help in clearing with Premier Cuvee yeast? Anyone?

Well, since no one chimed in with experience or ideas on my own question, I'll give y'all the lowdown for future reference: Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast does flocculate at low temperatures (40-50*F), but very, very slowly. I just moved the carboy into my workshop to keg it, and it's finally clear - but it took almost two weeks to drop out of suspension. I don't know for certain if it would've cleared faster at the original room temp (62*F), but the nice thing is that the extended time in the carboy won't hurt the apfelwein, as we all know!

Well I just got a brew kit and stumbled upon this thread. Wow this stuff looks really good. I bought a second 5 gallon carboy last night and plan on making this stuff. I found 100% real apple juice not from concentrate and no perservitives at lunch. Would this be good to use or should I use 100% apple juice from concentrate? If you live in the midwest It is the meijer brand apple juice. When you look at the ingredient label all it says is "apple juice"

Well I just got a brew kit and stumbled upon this thread. Wow this stuff looks really good. I bought a second 5 gallon carboy last night and plan on making this stuff. I found 100% real apple juice not from concentrate and no perservitives at lunch. Would this be good to use or should I use 100% apple juice from concentrate? If you live in the midwest It is the meijer brand apple juice. When you look at the ingredient label all it says is "apple juice"

Not from concentrate is best, although from concentrate certainly turns out well also.

Perfect, went to Costco tonight to see if they had the brand listed on the first page. They didn't but they did have kirkland's 100% apple juice. Picked up 5 gallons of it, plan on mixing it all up Saturday. The first page also says to leave in the carboy a long time, like up to 5-6 months. Is it better to do that than let it sit in bottles? Also if I do let it sit that long in the carboy I am assuming I do no have to let it sit to long in bottles then. Is that right?

Perfect, went to Costco tonight to see if they had the brand listed on the first page. They didn't but they did have kirkland's 100% apple juice. Picked up 5 gallons of it, plan on mixing it all up Saturday. The first page also says to leave in the carboy a long time, like up to 5-6 months. Is it better to do that than let it sit in bottles? Also if I do let it sit that long in the carboy I am assuming I do no have to let it sit to long in bottles then. Is that right?

I've done all my batches so far with Kirklands and aged them in the carboy anywhere from for 2 - 5 months but people have gone a year or more with no problems. Whether aged in the bottle or carboy it only gets better with age. For me it's drinkable in two months but at 6 it's better and so on. My first batch was February of last year which is coming up on a year and I still have a few bottles left. The trick is keeping it in rotation before you drink it all so you'll always have some on hand.
My last batch I made with spiced apple cider from Costco that's been bubbling away for a few weeks in the closest. I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Any one try Cran-apple or cranberry juice just straight?
I'm wondering how cranberry cider would taste.....:cross:

The apfelwein is made. I plan on bottling in 3 months. Since I have never tasted it before I think I can manage the wait :)

Okay, I've put this off forever, but I'm about ready to take the plunge I think. I don't have a carboy right now since I am just starting, should I look for a 5 gallon glass carboy or a 5 Gallon Ported Plastic Carboy (Better Bottle Brand)?

Okay, I've put this off forever, but I'm about ready to take the plunge I think. I don't have a carboy right now since I am just starting, should I look for a 5 gallon glass carboy or a 5 Gallon Ported Plastic Carboy (Better Bottle Brand)?

I'd say glass given the long fermentation time.

Wow, fast response, thanks.

Now that I'm thinking of this, my original plan was just to find the items in the list below and order them online individually. After looking at the list again it look like a lot of this may be included in starter home brew kit (which I've been looking at getting in the near future anyway). If I just get the home brew kit at the same time would I need to buy anything other than any extra carboy, airlock, and stopper?

Definitely a good first recipe. And, the earlier you start, the better it will be in October.

Basic equipment and approximate costs (cheapest solution):
5g Better bottle $28
Stopper $2
Airlock $2
Autosiphon $12
Vinyl tubing $5
Bottling wand $7
Bottling bucket $15
Star-san $12
Subtotal: $83

Ingredients and approximate costs:
5g Apple juice $19
2lbs Dextrose $6
1pkt Montrachet yeast $0.60
Subtotal: $26

Total: $109, repeated cost for further batches: $25-$26 (depends on whether you re-pitch onto the yeast cake)

What's up guys/(gals)! I just brewed my first batch ever and it happened to be a hybrid of EdWort's recipe. I'm not sure if anyone's done a fully organic batch yet, but I brewed mine with 5 gals of organic unfiltered apple juice (Pricey - but I got 5 free 1gal bottles out of the transaction) and 2lbs organic brown sugar. I used Cote des Blanc yeast and it's fermenting right now around 65 degrees in a 6 gal better bottle.

However, I completely forgot to take the OG, so I'm just going to keep a good eye on it, take samples here & there and see where she's at. Judging from others' experiments with CDB yeast and brown sugar and fermenting temps, I'm expecting to be hitting bottling time around 8-10 weeks from now.

I would recommend buying a brew kit with upgrades, as an example, Midwest Supplies will add a 5 gallon Better Bottle with bung and airlock for $20, or $30 for a glass carboy. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11166&fd=1

I pieced together my setup and it has cost me much more money than this kit would have even with the shipping.

You will still need to buy a sanitizer with the kit.

Beer bottles will work for bottling, especially if you are carbonating your Apfelwein, although a wine or Champagne bottle just seems more appropriate to some people.

Tom
Wow, fast response, thanks.

Now that I'm thinking of this, my original plan was just to find the items in the list below and order them online individually. After looking at the list again it look like a lot of this may be included in starter home brew kit (which I've been looking at getting in the near future anyway). If I just get the home brew kit at the same time would I need to buy anything other than any extra carboy, airlock, and stopper?

Well, Ed seems to highly advocate the Better Bottles, and he's been doing this for a while...so I don't think it matters. FWIW, I've got my current batch fermenting in a BB.

The kit I was looking at was actually from the same store, the Brewing Intermediate Kit w/Two 5 Gallon Glass Carboys ( glass because I have a sister in-law who is a doctor that has told me several times the dangers of plastic... she knows her stuff, but I think she's a little over paranoid). I couldn't tell if the second bottle was a spare so I could have two batches brewing at once or if it for an extra step in the brewing process. Is the intermediate kit the upgrade you were referring to, or is there an upgrade option somewhere I am not seeing.

I would recommend buying a brew kit with upgrades, as an example, Midwest Supplies will add a 5 gallon Better Bottle with bung and airlock for $20, or $30 for a glass carboy. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11166&fd=1

I pieced together my setup and it has cost me much more money than this kit would have even with the shipping.

You will still need to buy a sanitizer with the kit.

Beer bottles will work for bottling, especially if you are carbonating your Apfelwein, although a wine or Champagne bottle just seems more appropriate to some people.

Tom

Back