Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I bought a gallon of apple cider from a heritage variety called 'Grenadier' with Apfelwein in mind.

I tested it using my hydrometer (which i'm not very good at!) and the OG looks like 1.15, does this sound about right? It is a very dry juice and quite acidic.

I would like to ferment this to around 13% ABV although higher wouldn't be the end of the world. I have EC-1118 yeast and a couple others but the EC-1118 seems to get a good vote in the thread.

Can anyone guide as to how much sugar I should add to the gallon? I would like this to ferment dry.

Thank you!
I'd double check that reading. 1.050 is more common. You might have a very sweet batch, that happens sometimes with late season apples. Usually, those batches are more like 1.085 though.

If the 1.150 reading is correct, don't add any sugar. You could easily end up with something that won't ferment as the sugar has started acting as a preservative.

Sorry forgot to add these
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like a lacto infection to me. If that's what it is, there should be something like an oil slick on the top of the brew.

Alright I'll give that a shot. I just wasn't sure if I should be using whole cinnamon sticks, or maybe soaking the cloves in muslin bags .
Oh, whole spices in a muslin bag work well too. I just specified the most readily available forms and the most consistent addition method.

Adding whole or just cracked spices to a muslin bag and letting it sit in secondary with your brew works very well. Just make sure to sample it about once a week though. With whole spices in a liquid containing alcohol the spices will continue to give up flavor compounds to the brew for around 6 months. Generally, you'd want to remove the spices somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks. Depending on taste and the amount of spice you are using.

View attachment 162230

Sorry forgot to add these

Well, Leadgolem has more experience than I do, and he says it looks like a lacto infection. However, I had exactly the same situation as your images depict on my first batch, and it's been delicious and has gotten me inordinately drunk at least twice so far, haha, so I don't know if it's something you need to worry about.

More recent

image-2396191122.jpg

Attachments

• image-881157543.jpg
    image-881157543.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 354
Well, Leadgolem has more experience than I do, and he says it looks like a lacto infection. However, I had exactly the same situation as your images depict on my first batch, and it's been delicious and has gotten me inordinately drunk at least twice so far, haha, so I don't know if it's something you need to worry about.
Oh, not really. Not with infected batches anyway. I've only had two of those, and one I infected on purpose.

More recent
Hmm, yeah that actually looks fine. Looks like krausen in the more recent pictures.

Has been a real uneventful fermentation, is that due to wine yeast or just a slow fermentation. First attempt at cider

As was noted, the "Rhino farts" tend to happen if you ferment above 70F. Keep it in the 65-68F range, and you should be golden.

guys, been thinking about this for a minute and i just need a little nudge in either direction from you all about whether or not to do it.

I've got 5 gals that has been aging for 2 years.... yes. two years. kegging it here in the next three days to be served at an xmas party on dec 20.

Thinking about soaking 2 vanilla beans, 2 cinn sticks, 2 cloves in rum and adding that mixture as well as a can of apple concentrate at kegging.

Does that sound good? Any other/better ideas?

guys, been thinking about this for a minute and i just need a little nudge in either direction from you all about whether or not to do it.

I've got 5 gals that has been aging for 2 years.... yes. two years. kegging it here in the next three days to be served at an xmas party on dec 20.

Thinking about soaking 2 vanilla beans, 2 cinn sticks, 2 cloves in rum and adding that mixture as well as a can of apple concentrate at kegging.

Can you split the batch? Plain old 2-year apfelwein should be rockin all by itself, especially carbed. Not knocking the spice idea, but it would be terrible to add a lot of stuff now that might need even more aging to mellow.

Maybe you could steep some sort of spiced syrup that can be added to the glass, per the drinker's fancy?

Can you split the batch? Plain old 2-year apfelwein should be rockin all by itself, especially carbed. Not knocking the spice idea, but it would be terrible to add a lot of stuff now that might need even more aging to mellow.

Maybe you could steep some sort of spiced syrup that can be added to the glass, per the drinker's fancy?

thats a good thought. i tasted a sample of just rum mixed with the uncarbed apfelwein and liked it. gonna have to think about this more tomorrow when i'm sober haha

Just the nature of the yeast. Slow and steady.

Yeast doesn't ferment the juice slowly unless the juice is missing nutrients. Plain old apple juice is missing nutrients - add some DAP and it will ferment dry in a week. Of course, DAP isn't part of EdWort's recipe.

Beer wort itself usually provides a very high level of nutrients. My 7% ABV stout, for example, finished at 1.015 and tightly flocculated in less than 4 days in an 18 celcius room. It never ceases to amaze me how fast it goes, literally like a machine gun out through the airlock.

Just sampled some that I started back in March. Outstanding! :mug: It will make a great wine for the Thanksgiving meal.

Just sampled some that I started back in March. Outstanding! :mug: It will make a great wine for the Thanksgiving meal.

Same here. I tried some that I made in the first week of April, and cant wait to have it with a turkey dinner. Carbed half of it and bottled still the other half. Both are great, but people seem to like the carbed version a little more.

Same here. I tried some that I made in the first week of April, and cant wait to have it with a turkey dinner. Carbed half of it and bottled still the other half. Both are great, but people seem to like the carbed version a little more.

I have some 7 month old still apfelwein that I often drink mixed with seltzer. It's kind of nice to be able to have it still or sparkling as desired. I have another batch conditioning in the carboy now and I am on the fence as to whether I want to carbonate it or just bottle it still. It's a pretty flexible beverage.

Anyone know the recipe for making hot toddy type drinks with Apfelwein?

Not sure if this qualifies but this was Ed's recommendation:

" Oh yeah, this makes a great Grog in the winter time.

Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

I've got you beat. Mine has been sitting for 3 1/2 years!

This recipe has rave reviews but is in the wine thread. Is it just like cider? or is it more like wine? can I back sweeten to bottle and add carbonation?

This recipe has rave reviews but is in the wine thread. Is it just like cider? or is it more like wine? can I back sweeten to bottle and add carbonation?
Since it is an apple juice base, I would say it's a cider. With the bump to the ABV from the sugar, it blurs the line a bit. That, and the German name for it. IMO, it would be fine in either section.

You can bottle card this perfectly well.

Since it is an apple juice base, I would say it's a cider. With the bump to the ABV from the sugar, it blurs the line a bit. That, and the German name for it. IMO, it would be fine in either section.

I believe that the German Apfelwein isn't normally fortified with extra sugar - it really is just straight cider. The boost of corn sugar in EdWort's recipe does push it in a more wine-like direction.

Gonna do the standard recipe suggested for my first go around. But, should I add yeast nutrient to the mix?
If you are doing the recipe exactly as stated, it's not necessary. Bump the ABV up much more, and I would. Otherwise you can get some sulphury aroma that can't be removed.

If you are doing the recipe exactly as stated, it's not necessary. Bump the ABV up much more, and I would. Otherwise you can get some sulphury aroma that can't be removed.

Thanks. Ya, my 1st batch is exactly what the recipe calls for.

Well, actually my fist batch is in the making right now (letting the foam settle after shaking in the dextrose).

Ugh, so much info here I don't know which yeast to commit to! I have the the 5 star but I also have a Nottingham I kinda want to use. It sounds like the Nottingham will leave a bit more apple flavor and sweetness which I will prefer but I can also back sweeten the 5 star to my liking which would help for the carb I want when I bottle. decisions, decisions.

My son in law drank a bottle of the stuff like it was apple juice. I believe he was saying something about a two day hang over and called Edwardt something nasty........

Hey, at about three weeks old, just popped my airlock on my 1st batch of apfelwein to see what it smelled like, it still has that SO2 smell to it. Is this normal for another few weeks?:eek:

Hey, at about three weeks old, just popped my airlock on my 1st batch of apfelwein to see what it smelled like, it still has that SO2 smell to it. Is this normal for another few weeks?:eek:

Yes. I believe the HBT technical term is "Rhino Farts." They last awhile.

Rhino farts...it'll pass. :cross:

Seriously, 3 weeks is very young for Apfelwein. Let it set in the fermenter a couple months and you should have some apple goodness.

Forgive me, I am sure that this has been addressed on 1 of the 1200 pages....

What is the difference in this and apple wine?

Thanks all

Forgive me, I am sure that this has been addressed on 1 of the 1200 pages....

What is the difference in this and apple wine?

Thanks all

I think this concoction dances in the gray area between wine and hard cider. Personally I would consider it to be more of cider. If I wanted it to be more wine like I'd bump up the sugar, probably add some tannin and acid blend, and drink it still. Most folks, including myself, carbonate.

I think this concoction dances in the gray area between wine and hard cider. Personally I would consider it to be more of cider. If I wanted it to be more wine like I'd bump up the sugar, probably add some tannin and acid blend, and drink it still. Most folks, including myself, carbonate.
I just call it cider too, and I carb mine. Up here, people don't know what apfelwein is, or even apple wine. hey, is this thread post # 12,000?

Back