Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I tasted my 4lbs of sugar apfelwein and it was dry with ec1118. Not sweet at all.

It certainly got me and the gf drunk as heck though but no hangover at all. I am going to make another batch with 6 or 8 pounds of sugar and see what happens. I want to push the ec1118 to it's 18abv limit. Starting gravity be damned. The experiment continues.

did you ever go through with your "experiment"?

did your batch(es) ever clear up - the one(s) you made using motts?

It was Tree Top, but no, not really. It's got a slight haze in the glass, but it tastes fine.

4 weeks ago I started 2 batches side by side, both with Member's Mark Apple Juice, and 1 with Montrachet, the other with EC-1118. They both seem to be clearing about equally, so I'm convinced the apple juice was the issue.

Bottled today!! Super excited to try my first batch! Tasted a little during bottling. Pretty good. Dry tasting but strong apple flavors. Hope it carbonated well. Now how long did you guys say after bottling its good to drink?

Bottled today!! Super excited to try my first batch! Tasted a little during bottling. Pretty good. Dry tasting but strong apple flavors. Hope it carbonated well. Now how long did you guys say after bottling its good to drink?

Give it a few months for the alcohol heat to dissipate. The apple flavor will become more intense and you'll drink aplfelwein like it was as smooth as the original apple juice...until the town police find you drunk out of your mind up the tree in your neighbor's yard with your pants around your ankles. Mind EdWort's warning...he's not bull****ting.

Try to get your significant other to sample before you...it will make for an interesting evening. :ban:

I bottled mine a few weeks ago and have already had 20 bottles already probably haha Its not carbed up yet but its still damn good :D

I actually like the carbed stuff young.

"As soon as there's bubbles, you can get into trouble!!"

but find that if you bottle it still, it gets better and better with age.

I actually like the carbed stuff young.

"As soon as there's bubbles, you can get into trouble!!"

but find that if you bottle it still, it gets better and better with age.

I agree with you there. When carbonated, it seems great even when young.

I bottled mine almost 2 weeks ago and the plastic soda bottle I'm using as a test still isn't hard. It actually doesn't feel any harder than when I first bottled. How long do I have to wait for it to carb?!? I've always drank it still and this time I carbed it and I'm itching to drink it.

I bottled mine almost 2 weeks ago and the plastic soda bottle I'm using as a test still isn't hard. It actually doesn't feel any harder than when I first bottled. How long do I have to wait for it to carb?!? I've always drank it still and this time I carbed it and I'm itching to drink it.

You can still drink it now, it will actually taste sweeter because it isnt carbed yet

Odd.. I don't think I have ever waited more than 10 days for carbing, and even after a week there was SOME effervescence.

Recluse said:
Odd.. I don't think I have ever waited more than 10 days for carbing, and even after a week there was SOME effervescence.
Maybe it's the temperature? It's starting to get cold outside and I had it all sitting up against a wall in my laundry room. It's probably 62 degrees or so in there. I moved them upstairs where it's usually around 66 or so. Will that help at all or will I need to find a way to get them all up to 70ish?

Maybe it's the temperature? It's starting to get cold outside and I had it all sitting up against a wall in my laundry room. It's probably 62 degrees or so in there. I moved them upstairs where it's usually around 66 or so. Will that help at all or will I need to find a way to get them all up to 70ish?

That could be it!! Higher is usually better, but 66 should be OK. I used to move things out of the cold basement for carbing till I achieved enough of a back log that I could afford to let them sit and take their time. Some yeasts do better at lower temps (like Nottingham for ales) but I don't know exactly how the wine yeasts do. EC-1118 is rated from 50-80 deg Fahrenheit and should probably do just as well. Montrachet is rated 59-80 so might give a more sluggish carbonation at 62.

I'm about to bottle some cranberry wine made with Montrachet, so for the portion I am going to carb, I think you reminded me to take it upstairs!!

Recluse said:
That could be it!! Higher is usually better, but 66 should be OK. I used to move things out of the cold basement for carbing till I achieved enough of a back log that I could afford to let them sit and take their time. Some yeasts do better at lower temps (like Nottingham for ales) but I don't know exactly how the wine yeasts do. EC-1118 is rated from 50-80 deg Fahrenheit and should probably do just as well. Montrachet is rated 59-80 so might give a more sluggish carbonation at 62. I'm about to bottle some cranberry wine made with Montrachet, so for the portion I am going to carb, I think you reminded me to take it upstairs!!
I moved it upstairs where it's closer to 66 so hopefully it carbs up a little quicker. I just hope its carbed for thanksgiving!

If it's left at 62, it would carb but just take longer, right?

I moved it upstairs where it's closer to 66 so hopefully it carbs up a little quicker. I just hope its carbed for thanksgiving!

If it's left at 62, it would carb but just take longer, right?

I think so. I've had stuff eventually carb in the cold basement at even lower temps.

You should be good for Thanskgiving! How much priming sugar did you use? I generally go with 1 oz per gallon. Roughly equal to 3/4-1 cup corn sugar per 5 gal but I always weigh it.

Recluse said:
I think so. I've had stuff eventually carb in the cold basement at even lower temps. You should be good for Thanskgiving! How much priming sugar did you use? I generally go with 1 oz per gallon. Roughly equal to 3/4-1 cup corn sugar per 5 gal but I always weigh it.
I used 5oz of corn sugar for a 6 gallon batch.

Well, I tried to rack before adding my oak cubes today, but so much of the yeast came with it that I ended up just pointlessly transferring everything from one carboy to the other, haha. Maybe it'll chew through the last .01 of my gravity and ferment dry while I'm oaking it.

I used 2oz of medium-toast French oak cubes (sanitized by pouring a little boiling water over them, covering, and letting them steam for a few minutes), and I'm looking to bottle in January. Will they be good sitting in there a couple of months, or will they over-extract in that time?

Me too. Thinking the yeast might be all dead after 9 months in the secondary. Gonna try warming it up a bit. Otherwise I have sweet still cider bottled!:rockin:

I think I'm going to sweeten my next batch. Will I need to pasteurize if I use Splenda? I know it doesn't ferment but I just want to make sure that means I don't need to pasteurize. I don't want bottle bombs.

I've siphoned a gallon or so outta both 5 gallon carboys (made 5 gal sticking to the original recipe, and 5 gal using half sugar half brown sugar with a few cinnamon sticks thrown in) I started them both at the end of july, and while I like them both, they seem to be a little bland tasting, not what I was expecting. I'm gonna try to bottle about half of what is left in the carboys this weekend, but have wondered the same thing in regards to still having enough yeast activity to carb in the bottle.

I've been drinking the stuff I siphoned off, adding a half pack of sugar to the glass to sweeten, and I really dig drinking it, just was expecting a more "wine like" flavor.

For those that would like a more "wine like" flavor, what would be the recommended amount of tannin or acid blend to use? Obviously this recipe is more of a "quick and dirty, but good tasting" recipe, but most of the specifically wine-making forums recommend acid blend/tanninf or apple wines (using real fruit). Since we're using mostly juice, the skins aren't contributing any tannins.

For those that would like a more "wine like" flavor, what would be the recommended amount of tannin or acid blend to use? Obviously this recipe is more of a "quick and dirty, but good tasting" recipe, but most of the specifically wine-making forums recommend acid blend/tanninf or apple wines (using real fruit). Since we're using mostly juice, the skins aren't contributing any tannins.

It really depends on the apple juice you use. You need to experiment with it.

Many people find that cheaper juices often seem to produce better apfelweins, and I'm pretty confident this is due to the fact that most of the more expensive and premium juices and ciders tend to be less acidic (which is something I've definitely observed), whereas the cheaper (and generally more acidic) juices produce a "brighter" character. So obviously I think an apfelwein can benefit from acid blend, especially if you find it a bit dull and lacking. I feel the same way about using a bit of tannin as well. They are definitely two of the best tools you have to take this simple product to the next level (when done judiciously); and while I'm not sure it'd make for "authentic" apfelwein, oak is another big one.

But like I said, how much to use depends on the juice you're starting with since they're all going to be different. And even with the same juice, these are aspects that very much come down to personal taste. When you combine these two facts, it should be apparent that it's difficult to make a specific recommendation. Luckily, these are things you can experiment with by the glass, and add to the rest of it afterwards. I'd start with around half of what you might find recommended for a dry white wine, and adjust from there.

Ed,

Google likes your recipe too!

Untitled.png

I think it was Irongolem who reported good results "dry-hopping" his apfelwein with several Granny Smith's.

Wow! That is a great idea! I was going to "dry hop" my cranberry wine with some crushed cranberries..and I wish I had!!! Somehow I never thought of it for Apfelwein.

RhodySeth said:
So basically just slice up a couple apples, soak 'em in vodka and put 'em in the carboy for a few weeks before bottling?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with vodka. IF I was feeling particular protective of my elixir, I would wash my apples well, then toss them, my knife, and plastic cutting board in Star San for 10 minutes.

I hit 90mph on my way to a taco truck at lunch today though....

Ciders made with fresh fruit and cider made from bottled apple juice do have one major difference, besides being treated with pectin enzyme. Bottled apple juice usually has it's PH adjusted with ascorbic acid. AKA, vitamin C. The reason that's done is to lower the temperature the juice has to be pasteurized at to be deemed safe by the FDA. Pasteurize apple juice over about 160f and it loses a lot of flavor.

So, the acid content is probably closer to optimal then you might anticipate from the figures being used with fresh pressed juice with no other treatment. It is still less then perfect, but not nearly as far off as you might think.

I personally dislike tannin. It's really rare for me to use it in my brew. So, I can't really comment on using it in apfelwein.
I think it was Irongolem who reported good results "dry-hopping" his apfelwein with several Granny Smith's.
Lead, not Iron, but yes. :)

2 lb of apple solids per gallon of cider seems about right to me. Washed, quartered, cored, and dropped in a cold 1:10 solution of water and lemon juice. So they don't brown while you are processing the rest of the apples. If you don't want to use lemon juice solution then you can lightly steam them instead, but that's more of a pain. Then add just the apples to the cider after it's hit FG. Leave them in for two to three weeks. If you want a clear cider you will need to add pectin enzyme according to the instructions for fruit solids.

Freezing the apple first will get you a faster flavor extraction. The ice crystals that form when the fruit is frozen perforate the cell walls and allow for a faster liquid exchange. Doing that you can cut the time with the apple solids in the liquid to one week. The down side is the apples tend to disintegrate when you try to take them out. That makes it rather difficult to the clear the resulting cider.

Any tart apple is ok for this. The milder apples don't contribute very well to the flavor. They aren't bad, they just don't add anything. The sugar is going to ferment out, so you want to find something that's going to have a lot of flavor after it's sugar is totally gone.

Crab apples are actually the best for this, but the trees aren't usually taken care of. So, the fruit is in bad shape and it takes a lot of work to get much that's usable out of them. A close second would be early green apples. They are usually a lot larger and don't require as much work. Neither of those are sold as food. They are really only marginally edible, but they make for a great flavoring.

That's what I like for solid apple additions. Happy brewing. :mug:

Crabapples are also used in a similar manner. It's especially nice if you have crabapples anyways, since you can actually use them for SOMETHING.

Yesterday morning I put 2 cinnamon sticks in a tall shot glass, filled with vodka and let them soak 12 hours. I dumped it all in the carboy with 2.5 week old apfelwein. CAnt wait to try this in a month :D

Is there any need to degas or add k meta if you plan on bottling in wine bottles and aging them? My apfel is a few months old and about to be racked to a carboy for clearing and long term aging.

Thanks, J

Does anybody here have any suggestions on how to use cinnamon & clove to spice your cider before bottling? I'm not really sure how much to use or how to add it. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
Ken

Is there any need to degas or add k meta if you plan on bottling in wine bottles and aging them? My apfel is a few months old and about to be racked to a carboy for clearing and long term aging.

Thanks, J
As long as you're sure it's at FG, not really. For some reason cider doesn't seem to have the oxidation problems you get with wine.

Mottes okay to use?
Yes. Any juice is, as long as it doesn't have either potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it.

Does anybody here have any suggestions on how to use cinnamon & clove to spice your cider before bottling? I'm not really sure how much to use or how to add it. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
Ken
The amounts are going to vary a lot depending on how much spice flavor you want. For a lightly spiced cider, simmer 1 tbs ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, and a dash of nutmeg in about 1/2 quart of cider for 20 minutes. Then mix that back in with the rest before bottling. If you want something with more spice presence you can triple the spice amounts. IMO, much over that and you start unbalancing the flavor.

Hi All,

I bought a gallon of apple cider from a heritage variety called 'Grenadier' with Apfelwein in mind.

I tested it using my hydrometer (which i'm not very good at!) and the OG looks like 1.15, does this sound about right? It is a very dry juice and quite acidic.

I would like to ferment this to around 13% ABV although higher wouldn't be the end of the world. I have EC-1118 yeast and a couple others but the EC-1118 seems to get a good vote in the thread.

Can anyone guide as to how much sugar I should add to the gallon? I would like this to ferment dry.

Thank you!

image-2214003314.jpg

Sorry forgot to add these

Attachments

• image-2098312379.jpg
    image-2098312379.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 316
  • image-2637515742.jpg
    image-2637515742.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 316
The amounts are going to vary a lot depending on how much spice flavor you want. For a lightly spiced cider, simmer 1 tbs ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, and a dash of nutmeg in about 1/2 quart of cider for 20 minutes. Then mix that back in with the rest before bottling. If you want something with more spice presence you can triple the spice amounts. IMO, much over that and you start unbalancing the flavor.[/QUOTE]

Alright I'll give that a shot. I just wasn't sure if I should be using whole cinnamon sticks, or maybe soaking the cloves in muslin bags .

Latest posts

Back