Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a batch of this Jan 14 and I had air lock bubbles after 24 hours .They slowed down this Monday and it is starting to clear up .To free up my carboy I want to put it into 1 gallon glass jugs with screw tops to set a few months and carbonate. Will this type container be ok?

Personally I would be nervous of using screw tops, unless you are 100% sure that the fermentation is 100% finished, and the yeast is 100% dead/removed...you risk bottle bombs. Better that you put airlocks on each jar, or at the least a stopper that can pop out if pressure builds.

Cheers

HW

I made a batch of this Jan 14 and I had air lock bubbles after 24 hours .They slowed down this Monday and it is starting to clear up .To free up my carboy I want to put it into 1 gallon glass jugs with screw tops to set a few months and carbonate. Will this type container be ok?

what if he were to refridgerate the batch to stunt the yeast and then k-meta kill it? then he should be able to bottle it up wouldn't he?

what if he were to refridgerate the batch to stunt the yeast and then k-meta kill it? then he should be able to bottle it up wouldn't he?

My understanding (I haven't tried it yet) is that a cold crash, followed by a racking and dosing with Potassium metabisulfite (Kmeta) and Potassium sorbate (sorbate) will in most cases stabilize enough to bottle safely. I say "in most cases" because I have seen several threads (CvilleKevin's yeast/juice experiments in the Cider forum come to mind) that even after this process some combinations of juice/yeast can start up again once it gets warm.

The recommendation I have read is to leave the stabilized and back-sweetened wine under an airlock in a warmish environment to make sure it doesn't start up again, then after you are comfortable (2-4 weeks maybe?) go ahead and bottle it.

Again, I haven't done this myself yet but I plan on going through it in the next couple of months so I have been trying to learn all I can about the recommended methods.

Cheers

HW

I just started a 6-gal batch in my new apartment. 2.5 lb corn sugar. OG is 1.076, if it dries up like last time im looking at ~10% abv. Unless the montrachet dies before then, but since its a wine yeast I figure its hearty enough. My LHBS doesnt sell 2lb or 4lb bags of dextrose, so i had either 1.5 or 5. I bought the five and split it in half. Figure more cant hurt (well, maybe my head)

I did a double batch last time (summer 2009) and I have one bottle left. Last time I had one it was last September, so it was over a year old.

The stuff was amazing. A year and it tastes like epic champagne. I am going to be starting another batch in two weeks just to get a supply going.

Has anyone else made a batch with this high of an OG?

Ok learned the hard way. Do not drink it at 2 weeks even if it is 1.00. I drank my far share of it wed night and was sick all day thursday. Mostly stomach and not head. I dont think I drank alot to feel that sick, but who knows. Maybe the yeast not being done or something did it. I dont know, but I am not touching it for a while now.

ok just drank some more last night at 1 month. I started it on 1-11-2011. It tasted more like apple juice. Like apple juice watered down. I didnt drink much this time on purpose cause of last time getting sick.

I made the straight Edwort recipe and let it set for 5 weeks and forced carbed for 10 days. My SWMBO and I really liked it. I bought a can of Strongbow English Dry Cider today, which I have always enjoyed. My cider smelled exactly the same as the Strongbow, and mine tasted better to me and SWMBO.

If you enjoy Champagne and dry cider, you can now make the equivalent of 25 bottles of Champagne for $22.00. Love it.

Do not use any bottle, especially glass bottles, that were not designed to handle carbonated beverages. Very dangerous.
One gallon cider jugs, wine bottles, etc. will not hold up to the pressure and could explode causing serious harm to you or a loved one.
Champagne bottles, beer bottles, plastic soda bottles, etc. are all ok.

Couldn't stand it anymore and drew 2 oz out of the carboy, after almost a month of fermentation.... wow! This tasted so good, it smelled and tasted like a good white wine. SWMBO thought so too. In fact I think she actually (for the first time in my brewing life) got a little excited about it!
I'm gonna give it another month on the yeast, then force carb most and bottle without carb a few!
Thanks Edwort!

Thanks I read how the gallon jugs are not pressure rated .I will put it in a keg or some beer bottles .I may use one of the Coors draft mini kegs I have two of them to play with. There is no rush now I watched my airlock and it is still going every 10 min or so. I went on and used ale pale for the second batch and it was lot easier to put the sugar in.

OK, I'm ready to get a reaming for asking this, but I don't want to try to read through 738 pages for the answer.

Just Exactly when do you know when this stuff is ready to bottle?

I've brewed beer for 20 years so I'm not a total idiot, never made a bottle bomb.

I put together a 1 gallon test run of this stuff 5 weeks ago, basic recipe with a small can of frozen concentrate added, for the hell of it.

If it were beer I'd know what to do, but this thing has gone through a few weeks of steady fermentation with airlock activity, now just settled down to a low fizz of bubbles, not enough to move the airlock.

Will it ever stop with the little bubbles? I did not take the whole thing very seriously, and though I think I took an OG reading I guess I did not record it. Anyway I'd like to bottle it (carbonated) and if we like it do a full blown 5 gallon batch.

Sorry for my stupidity, but do I just wait it out till it goes dead flat in a few weeks, months or years and add an ounce of sugar ?

At what gravity would this be safe to bottle ?

It's fairly clear with 3/8 inch of yeast on the bottom and has been sitting in the upper 60's for temp.

Safe bet would be to sit on it, but I'd like to bottle and carb it and see if we like it and go with a 5 gallon batch if this one turns out. Just not used to this process or this yeast, any help here?

OK, I'm ready to get a reaming for asking this, but I don't want to try to read through 738 pages for the answer.

Just Exactly when do you know when this stuff is ready to bottle?

I've brewed beer for 20 years so I'm not a total idiot, never made a bottle bomb.

I put together a 1 gallon test run of this stuff 5 weeks ago, basic recipe with a small can of frozen concentrate added, for the hell of it.

If it were beer I'd know what to do, but this thing has gone through a few weeks of steady fermentation with airlock activity, now just settled down to a low fizz of bubbles, not enough to move the airlock.

Will it ever stop with the little bubbles? I did not take the whole thing very seriously, and though I think I took an OG reading I guess I did not record it. Anyway I'd like to bottle it (carbonated) and if we like it do a full blown 5 gallon batch.

Sorry for my stupidity, but do I just wait it out till it goes dead flat in a few weeks, months or years and add an ounce of sugar ?

At what gravity would this be safe to bottle ?

It's fairly clear with 3/8 inch of yeast on the bottom and has been sitting in the upper 60's for temp.

Safe bet would be to sit on it, but I'd like to bottle and carb it and see if we like it and go with a 5 gallon batch if this one turns out. Just not used to this process or this yeast, any help here?

I dont even bother taking gravity with this stuff. After 1 month, I bottle it along with half a can of half a can of apple juice concentrate and it carbonates good enough for me about 2 weeks after bottling.

I dont even bother taking gravity with this stuff. After 1 month, I bottle it along with half a can of half a can of apple juice concentrate and it carbonates good enough for me about 2 weeks after bottling.

OK, thanks. I assume the half can is for a 5g batch?

I've only got a gallon to play with, it just seems like the little little bubbles are going to go on indefinitely.

My first batch is 16 days old, I gave it a taste last night and it's defiantly not ready, I have a very strong white wine taste bordering on vinegar like, I will give it another 2 weeks an taste again. It's really early still. I can't wait to see how it is after a few months. It's my first time fermenting anything purposefully so it's hard to wait lol.

I just bought my carboy and the yeast for by Wednesday, I'll have this sitting in my closet bubbling away! Also, if I do the_bird's recipe at 2.5Gal with 1lb brown sugar, how much sugar would I add before I bottle. I would probably use cane sugar, since I'm not a fan of corn sugar.

You use 1 oz. of sugar per gallon to prime, so 2.5 oz. for 2.5 gallons.

I just bought my carboy and the yeast for by Wednesday, I'll have this sitting in my closet bubbling away! Also, if I do the_bird's recipe at 2.5Gal with 1lb brown sugar, how much sugar would I add before I bottle. I would probably use cane sugar, since I'm not a fan of corn sugar.

Popped open a bottle of this that is about year old last night while BBQ. Tastes completely different. So much better with the year age on it!!!

Noob question- Do you guys think its ok to let the apfelwein sit in the primary for 4 weeks, then transfer to the secondary and immediately carb? Is stabilizing neccessary? After 4 weeks of carbing, I'd bottle it and try to leave it alone for a while.

This is my first real attempt at making a wine.

When you age this can you age it cold once it Carbed and bottled or do you need to keep it at room temp?

You add the priming sugar at bottling. If you stabilize you can not carbonate in the bottle. Transfer to secondary is not necessary if you used Montrachet yeast.

Tom

QUOTE=thadeus_d3;2658774]Noob question- Do you guys think its ok to let the apfelwein sit in the primary for 4 weeks, then transfer to the secondary and immediately carb? Is stabilizing neccessary? After 4 weeks of carbing, I'd bottle it and try to leave it alone for a while.

This is my first real attempt at making a wine.[/QUOTE]

reality_felix said:
my 1year aging of apple wine have bitter after taste, anyone have this problem??

Bitter or tart? I've aged a batch for 6-9 months and it had a dry tartness to it, but it was delicious and not unpleasant. I did find that use of brown sugar instead of corn sugar made the apfelwein much more tart.

i think is tartness... i using normal sugar to make it.. i believe i put too much sugar, the alcohol taste is a bit strong.. but is less sour since the 1st day i try it. BUT a glass full with ice and 1y apple wine in evening is so enjoyable.

reality_felix said:
i think is tartness... i using normal sugar to make it.. i believe i put too much sugar, the alcohol taste is a bit strong.. but is less sour since the 1st day i try it. BUT a glass full with ice and 1y apple wine in evening is so enjoyable.

It took me a while to get used to the tartness. Try adding some Sprite or 7-Up. That's a good combo.

Now, I prefer the tartness.

Well, after letting mine sit for 2 weeks I gave it a taste yesterday and took a hydro reading. Reading was way down at 0.998. It isn't going to tell me much since I never took an OG reading... :drunk:

I made mine with brown sugar and Nottingham ale yeast and the taste is quite nice, even after loading it with 5 sticks of cinnamon, the cinnamon flavor wasn't all that noticeable but was there. Should be even better with some age and carbed up. I think I'm going to bottle this stuff in some standard 12oz bottles in another 2 weeks and let it sit for a bit. In the mean time, I need to get another batch of it started. Damn, I need more carboys.:D

ec810fa7.jpg

I forgot to ask, since I used an ale yeast do I need to transfer this to a secondary, or can I just leave it in the primary for the full 4 weeks?

The wife and I made our first batch this weekend! I love how easy it is to make, now we just have to be patient. I have it in a 5 gallon glass carboy sitting on the kitchen counter, I have read that this can be bottled in clear bottles ( no hops to skunk from uv's ) but I just want to confirm this is going to be ok in the light in our kitchen. Thanks! :mug:

I picked up 20 1/2 gallon bottles of juice, 4 lbs of corn sugar, and a packet of Montrachet and a packet of Côte des Blancs yeast. LHBS guy says the Côte des Blancs will result in a sweeter wine/cider. I'm going to do the two side by side and see which one the wife prefers.

Hello new here. I've decided to do this as my first real home brew experience. I have a quick question though what if I added some of this to it? Would that be a good way to up the apple flavor of it? Sorry if something like this has been asked before.

EDIT: Might as well put up the recipes I'm thinking of doing as well. Note I'm doing them in Mr. Beer fermenter kegs will they work fine?

One batch is gonna be the vanilla recipe by EdWort
2 gal apple juice
1 lb dextrose
montrachet yeast

The other is gonna be

Cote Des Blanc Yeast (read about it from the guy above me :))
2 gal Apple Juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Clove (too much?)
1 lb brown sugar
1 oz of that apple flavoring up there

Thought of another question should I cut down the amount of yeast that I use because of the smaller size of the batches? I'd think you would but wanted to be sure.

Hello new here. I've decided to do this as my first real home brew experience. I have a quick question though what if I added some of this to it? Would that be a good way to up the apple flavor of it? Sorry if something like this has been asked before.

EDIT: Might as well put up the recipes I'm thinking of doing as well. Note I'm doing them in Mr. Beer fermenter kegs will they work fine?

One batch is gonna be the vanilla recipe by EdWort
2 gal apple juice
1 lb dextrose
montrachet yeast

The other is gonna be

Cote Des Blanc Yeast (read about it from the guy above me :))
2 gal Apple Juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Clove (too much?)
1 lb brown sugar
1 oz of that apple flavoring up there

Thought of another question should I cut down the amount of yeast that I use because of the smaller size of the batches? I'd think you would but wanted to be sure.

Depends on what you do with that single clove. I made a Christmas beer with apples, honey, cinnamon, ginger, and a single clove for a 5 gallon batch and that one clove was definitely present. I steeped the spices and made a tea that I added to the boil a minute or two before flameout.

What I was thinking about doing with the spices was boiling them for a couple minutes in some of the apple juice or some water, cut the heat, and then dissolve the sugar in the the same pot. Let it cool then add it to the rest of the juice. Maybe I should use a little less if it was "present" in a 5gal batch?

What I was thinking about doing with the spices was boiling them for a couple minutes in some of the apple juice or some water, cut the heat, and then dissolve the sugar in the the same pot. Let it cool then add it to the rest of the juice. Maybe I should use a little less if it was "present" in a 5gal batch?

If you boil it in apple juice you will have a clearing problem. I would suggest either boiling it in water or making an extract with an alcohol base, such as vodka. I would just make the tea as perviously suggested.

Depends on how much you like cloves. I wanted just a bit of the spice. I really wanted the apples, honey, and cinnamon to dominate the beer.

One clove was alright for the 5 gallon batch. It's the 1.5 oz of freshly grated ginger I'm concerned about.

Also, I didn't grind or crush the clove, just dropped it in the water.

If you boil it in apple juice you will have a clearing problem. I would suggest either boiling it in water or making an extract with an alcohol base, such as vodka. I would just make the tea as perviously suggested.

I brought I think a gallon to 160* added the spices, and turned the heat down to low to steep for the duration of the wort boil. All the spice flavors came through. I strained the tea as I poured it into the wort.

Thanks for the recipe, Ed!

After I pitched the yeast I was washing it in with a quart of juice and there was quite a bit of foam on top. So naturally, being an idiot, I squeezed the better bottle to remove said foam. This did in fact get the foam out, along with more than half the yeast. I added the rest of the juice and put on the airlock. I didn't have any more yeast on hand to add and the LHBS was closed for the night and next day.

36 hours later and I'm getting an airlock bubble once every 5 seconds or so. Will my reduced pitch rate cause any problems? Should I add more yeast at this point, or should the yeast already working replicate and be able to do the job?

Thanks for the help.

(First Post!)

Depends on how much you like cloves. I wanted just a bit of the spice. I really wanted the apples, honey, and cinnamon to dominate the beer.

One clove was alright for the 5 gallon batch. It's the 1.5 oz of freshly grated ginger I'm concerned about.

Also, I didn't grind or crush the clove, just dropped it in the water.

I brought I think a gallon to 160* added the spices, and turned the heat down to low to steep for the duration of the wort boil. All the spice flavors came through. I strained the tea as I poured it into the wort.

I just want a hint of the clove in there. The tea won't water down the apfelwein will it? Sorry if that's a newbish question.

I didn't realize that boiling it in the apple juice would be a problem. I guess I'll just make a tea out of it like jtkratzer suggested. Doing an extract sounds interesting might have to look into that.

I just want a hint of the clove in there. The tea won't water down the apfelwein will it? Sorry if that's a newbish question.

I didn't realize that boiling it in the apple juice would be a problem. I guess I'll just make a tea out of it like jtkratzer suggested. Doing an extract sounds interesting might have to look into that.

Try using apple juice, just don't boil it. You just want to warm it up and soak/steep any spices you're using. I used apple cider to steep spices and disolve honey for a beer once. Seemed to work fine. Just make sure it's mixed well before pitching the yeast so it's not going into 100*+ juice.

Boil is kinda the wrong word I should have said steeped instead which is more what I meant. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try do get the stuff and do this tomorrow.

One last question would using yeast nutrient be a good idea?

Back