Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So

I was at the grocery store 3 days ago and they had 100% pure apple juice on sale for $1.78 per half gallon so I thought to myself "Self, you should make apfelwein cause you've seen that thread at HBT so many times".

So I bought 3 gallons. And ordered a 3 gallon ported better bottle and "stuff" from BMW, soon as it arrives I'm going to make some apfelwein :ban:

I also have some overripe bananas and assorted fruits in the freezer I'm gonna blend up and boil and throw in this too for "fun" and a packet of the EC-1118 yeast (it's $.90 at the LHBS and I keep it around for emergencies).

I was given a bottle of Possman Frankfurter Applewein this last weekend. I was so excited and rushed home to compare to my EdWort's Apfelwein.

Um. EdWort wins. The stuff was just okay, but my apfelwein is wonderful.

Also, I made a batch last night and was dismayed that my [certain-store-brand] "gallons" of apple juice that are in the same size looking jugs as the other gallons are actually 3 quart jugs with dimples in the back to let them cheat you out of a quart. So now I need to go buy more apple juice to top off the batch.

Anyone know what a scaled down version of this recipe would be (say for 1 gal jugs)? I get anxiety thinking about trying to look back through the 150+ pages of this thread to figure it out.

I certainly understand that it may go quickly, but I'm thinking of giving it as a gift to someone else. Sort of a kick-start into home brewing.

Anyone know what a scaled down version of this recipe would be (say for 1 gal jugs)? I get anxiety thinking about trying to look back through the 150+ pages of this thread to figure it out.

I would say divide the suga by 5. 1 gal of juice. Use less yeast, or the same amount.

five gallons juice plus 2 pounds sugar.

divide by five: 1 gallon juice, 2/5 pounds of sugar.

Just use one yeast packet either way.

OK, what do you think happened. The first gal. of Edworts has been in the 1 L bottles for 3wks and I just opened one today and it shot out 3/4's of the bottle. Carbing was a success i guess. The 6-8 oz that was left was dry, tart without much apple flavor. It was 7 wks. from start to openning. This bottle was the last of the gal. and it had 3/8" of dead yeast at the bottom. I must has sucked it up from the Primary. Not the whole 3/8" of lees maybe only 1/8" at bottling. I did prime the bottle and seeing that it was the last 1L bottle out of a 1 gal jug I added some straight apple juice to top off the bottle. I used the Moncharet yeast and 1/3 cup of corn sugar at the start. Also the bottle was at room temp when opened. The sg was 1.053 at the start and .996 for four days straight and at bottling.
How many ways did I screw up?
Its' been 3 hrs since I posted this and chilled bottle 3of4. It didn't blow any out. It is nicely carbed, still dry and tart. It has a weird thing in the back of my mouth. SWMBO thinks that if it ages up it may get right. As far as Edworts' 3 glass rule. I just poured the third glass and I can feel it after only two. I can see that this has a good chance at coming out great.
Glass #4 with acouple ozs of apple juice tastes real good. Of course if I have another glass I can drop the hot end of my stoogie in and it will still taste good.
Thanks Edwort.
You are the Man

My guess is that when you added more apple juice, it started the fermentation process again since you added lots more sugar for the yeast to eat (on top of the priming sugar you added).

How did you add the priming sugar? Did you prime each individual bottle, or the whole gallon of Apfelwein?

How sure are you that the priming sugar was evenly mixed into suspension?

The recommended amount of priming sugar is ¾ cup or 5 oz. per 5 gallons, you used double the amount needed.

BrewNinja1 is right about the apple juice.

An ounce of sugar is approximately 28.4 grams, most of the apple juices I have checked run right around this per serving. So depending on how much juice you added to the last liter, you could have had four times the recommended amount of priming sugar.

Tom

OK, what do you think happened. The first gal. of Edworts has been in the 1 L bottles for 3wks and I just opened one today and it shot out 3/4's of the bottle. Carbing was a success i guess. The 6-8 oz that was left was dry, tart without much apple flavor. It was 7 wks. from start to openning. This bottle was the last of the gal. and it had 3/8" of dead yeast at the bottom. I must has sucked it up from the Primary. Not the whole 3/8" of lees maybe only 1/8" at bottling. I did prime the bottle and seeing that it was the last 1L bottle out of a 1 gal jug I added some straight apple juice to top off the bottle. I used the Moncharet yeast and 1/3 cup of corn sugar at the start. Also the bottle was at room temp when opened. The sg was 1.053 at the start and .996 for four days straight and at bottling.
How many ways did I screw up?
Its' been 3 hrs since I posted this and chilled bottle 3of4. It didn't blow any out. It is nicely carbed, still dry and tart.

All right, so I mixed up a batch of Apfelwein, and set it aside to ferment, BUT I think it was too cold for the yeast.

I'm totally confused now. My apfelwein has started to develop two small spots of mold on the top, after 4 days. I am certain that everything was washed and sterilized. Anyone have any hints on what I might have done wrong, and is it salvageable?

I'm totally confused now. My apfelwein has started to develop two small spots of mold on the top, after 4 days. I am certain that everything was washed and sterilized. Anyone have any hints on what I might have done wrong, and is it salvageable?

Are you sure it's mold and not yeast bubbles? Take a picture and post it. It's probably fine.

Bottled my small batch this Tuesday after more than two months in the fermenter. Had a bottle a couple of days ago and it was pretty good. Definitely gonna make this again.

I've now got 17 gallons of the stuff at various stages (0-4months) and I haven't even tried apfelwein before. SWMBO thinks I'm crazy. She might be right. I sure hope this works out.
Can I quote myself? Its OK, I'm a dork.

Update-We kegged the first batch. Wife & I both liked it. So, I stopped @ Costco today and grabbed 10 gallons of juice. I'll start a batch today. Maybe 2 if I don't need to keep both heated (cold basement).

Jeff

Hello!im a noob with is what probobly is a dumb question.first off i have 2 batches of apfelwein on,never even tasted it before but i fig it must be good since 3/4 of the worlds pop.seems to love it,i had 2 empty carboys so i fig why not.if im low on bottles when the time comes can i use gal.bots with screw on tops and if so can i put them in my fruit cellar or do they need refrigerated.thanks

Hello!im a noob with is what probobly is a dumb question.first off i have 2 batches of apfelwein on,never even tasted it before but i fig it must be good since 3/4 of the worlds pop.seems to love it,i had 2 empty carboys so i fig why not.if im low on bottles when the time comes can i use gal.bots with screw on tops and if so can i put them in my fruit cellar or do they need refrigerated.thanks

I have one batch and will start a second batch the next time I see apple juice on sale. I would say just leave it in the carboy until you round up the bottles you need.

Just did my first batch of Edwort's Apfelwein today! followed the recipe to a T except for the brand of juice. Came out with a 1.062 OG which seems about right, can't wait to check on it later and see it bubbling away.

One comment, I used a better bottle for the first time for this recipe, and thank god I use vodka in the airlocks because it must have sucked back at least 2 shots worth just from moving it into place and attaching the airlock. These things are so pliable they suck in every time you touch it, I'm not too sure I like that...

Other than that I'll be back in 2-3 months with the results! Thanks Edwort for sharing this recipe with us. I can't Wait!

So if i cork it will keep just like my kit wines?theres only 1 wk between batches and if i bottle one can i leave the other just sit on the dead yeasties or should irack to a secondary?i think i may be worrying a little too much.

So if i cork it will keep just like my kit wines?theres only 1 wk between batches and if i bottle one can i leave the other just sit on the dead yeasties or should irack to a secondary?i think i may be worrying a little too much.

Everything I've read says go ahead and leave it in the primary for as long as you can (I'm not planning to bottle until August, then drinking in October)

Are you sure it's mold and not yeast bubbles? Take a picture and post it. It's probably fine.

Can't take a picture because the camera got beat up by the cat, but it is definitely mold. Big green patches of it, getting bigger everyday. Well, back to the drawing board. I'll try again next week after I get this mess cleaned up.

Ok the wifa and I made a 5 gal batch last Wednesday. We would like to serve this at our 4th of July party. My thought is to leave it in the primary for two months then bottle to give it around 3 months to condition in the bottle. Does this sound like the best schedule based on the amount of time we have or should I leave it in the primary for only 1 month (as long as fermintation is complete)? Just want to ensure I get the most Liquid Panty Removalness out of it!?!

:eek:WOW!it has been 36 hours since inoculation and my closet reeks of sulfur. My Apfelwein is steadily bubbling away I can't wait to try it in a few months.

Ok the wifa and I made a 5 gal batch last Wednesday. We would like to serve this at our 4th of July party. My thought is to leave it in the primary for two months then bottle to give it around 3 months to condition in the bottle. Does this sound like the best schedule based on the amount of time we have or should I leave it in the primary for only 1 month (as long as fermintation is complete)? Just want to ensure I get the most Liquid Panty Removalness out of it!?!

Sounds good. 3 + 2 would also be good. It's pretty forgiving.

:eek:WOW!it has been 36 hours since inoculation and my closet reeks of sulfur. My Apfelwein is steadily bubbling away I can't wait to try it in a few months.

I've been waiting for one month and I'm at my wit's end! I'm not expecting mine to clear up anyways because I used unfiltered apple juice, so my buddy and I are planning to bottle this thursday night (which will make it exactly 40 days in the primary. Then the real waiting game begins.

I tried to search for this answer and nothing seemed to pop up. I apoligize if it has been asked already.

I made Apfelwein and must of been a little buzzed at the time. I used 2 pounds of DME instead of corn sugar. I just poured it in each gallon and shook the crap out of it till it dissolved. It really took off in the fermentor.

It has been about a month. I am just curious how it will turn out. Any guesses?

I've been waiting for one month and I'm at my wit's end! I'm not expecting mine to clear up anyways because I used unfiltered apple juice, so my buddy and I are planning to bottle this thursday night (which will make it exactly 40 days in the primary. Then the real waiting game begins.

I also used natural apple juice which is unfiltered so I don't expect mine to be clear either. I too can't wait but you are a month closer than I am!:mug:

Thanks, I figured there would be a thread like that but I couldn't find it.

Do you guys bottle this in beer bottles? I was thinking about using wine bottles but don't have a corker.

I plan to run through all the possible combos, bottled and corked in wine bottles, and primed and sweetened for a "wine cooler" effect in either beer bottles or champagne bottles, primed and bottled dry for more of a true champagne, and maybe sweetened without carbing. I'll use whatever I can get, wine bottles, champagne bottles, beer bottles, you name it. I'm currently collecting clear beer bottles (Newcastle, anyone know of others?) for carbing/sweetening some apfelwein and welch's wine with so it's nice and clear.

I just finished the entire thread!
It all started out by researching some recipes and I ended up making an apple/cherry/grape juice coctail 4 gallons- water 3 gallons-table sugar 11lbs! and went to lhbs and told them I wanted to make some "prison wine". The guy sold me two packs of yeast for 3 bucks each but the attitude was free.

Then I found Ed's immaculate thread. I had to have 10 gallons of his exact recipe. So now I have about 17 gallons of something I never tried but I did stay at a holiday inn before.
With BMC 6 packs going for around 6 bucks now I'll take my chances. SWMBO likes being called SWMBO and even likes the samples I've pulled from the first "prison wine" batch and cold crashed for 2 days in the fridge from the blue wal-mart water bottle. I feel my liver quivering like it's going to jump out and run.
Best part about this stuff is you could mix it up then have it ready when you get out of rehab

So I'm reading here the longer the better in terms of primary fermentation vessel...can I start a batch this weekend and leave it for 5-6mo in the primary or do you need to keg/bottle after 4-6weeks then bottle/keg condition for the remaining period. I dont want to tie up one of my 2 cornys for that long and would much rather have a carboy out of commission until its ready. Thoughts?

Back