Malts & Adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley1271

Reaction score
So I am reading Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation and I am loving it. I have learned so much already. I have read Palmers How to Brew as well. For my next book I am looking to read about malts and adjuncts. Is there even a book that talks that in-depth on malts? I found Beer Advocate's Malt & Adjunct Guide, but it seems there should be more info than that. Or am I over thinking it?

One of the things I really liked about the Yeast book, was the science behind it. It's not just simply a "do this and then this" kind of book. You actually get reasons and math behind what they are saying. So I am looking for books that really go in depth into the science or how they are made/grown.

Also is there something to read on hops that would be about the same?

-Stanley

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am reading Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation and I am loving it. I have learned so much already. I have read Palmers How to Brew as well. For my next book I am looking to read about malts and adjuncts. Is there even a book that talks that in-depth on malts? I found Beer Advocate's Malt & Adjunct Guide, but it seems there should be more info than that. Or am I over thinking it?

One of the things I really liked about the Yeast book, was the science behind it. It's not just simply a "do this and then this" kind of book. You actually get reasons and math behind what they are saying. So I am looking for books that really go in depth into the science or how they are made/grown.

Also is there something to read on hops that would be about the same?

-Stanley

New Brewing Lager Beer by Noonan has a good section on malt (also decoction mashing). That might be the best you can do unless you want technical/professional literature.

Yeast was the first in a four? part series covering the major ingredients. Not sure when the malt book is expected or who is writing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back