Malto Dextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootYtRappeR

Reaction score
Does Malto Dextrine have to be added to the wort boil or can it be boiled by itself and added to the primary (or secondary)?:confused:

BT

You can even add it to the priming bucket, if an ale needs more body. I'm thinking about that for my Bent Rod Rye. It has 6 oz. of dextrine malt, but it's not where I want it.

david_42 said:
You can even add it to the priming bucket, if an ale needs more body. I'm thinking about that for my Bent Rod Rye. It has 6 oz. of dextrine malt, but it's not where I want it.
6 oz is a lot. I try to keep my MD usage below 1. I think it makes some brews too thick.:D

Dosn't it make the body of a beer thicker and the beer sweeter?
not sweeter (if it does I never noticed) I use it in beers that would normally ferment out to 1.009 or below to add body and mouth feel. or where you want more body but not necessarily more sweetness.

jaybird said:
I personally have never used MD what does it do for the end result?????
cheers
JJ

Take a Guinness Stout and Bud (I know... bear with me) and outside of the fact that they taste different because they are different beers(ok... one might not be a beer). How do they taste different? Well one is real thin tasting and one is not. It has this what is refered to as "mouthfeel" to it. That is what MD will give you.... Lactose will also give this as well as a few others. They do this because they dont ferment out completely. The sugars leave unfermentables in the beer. This as apposed to something like honey, which completely ferments out (why beers brewed with honey taste drier).

Latest posts

Back