Malting co. of Ireland: Has anyone used any of their malts yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Their Stout Malt caught my eye, so I ordered some. I've got a batch of Red Barleywine with 7lbs of the stuff in it brewing now. It'll be a while before I'll be able to provide feedback on that one.

I decided to order 20lbs more of the stuff for some other brews on the horizon and I'm wondering if anyone else here has used any of it yet. If so, please share your impressions.

The only impression I can add is that the grains are truely plump looking. It mashed out just fine. Not sure about any color contributions as I was mashing some caraAroma with them.

I buy direct from the factory sometimes...I live in Ireland. It's never let me down thus far. The stout malt is incredibly light in color, like 3 ECB or something.

They have it at our LHBS. Never used it but tasted a few batches from a buddy of mine. A smash if I recall. Decent, nothing stuck out but nothing was wrong with it.

I have 20 lbs of it in my basement. I've brewed an Irish stout with it and it was good. The malt is bigger than 2 row and other malts I've seen. No issues to report with this malt.

Yea, Chop and Brew did an episode about it. Check it out!! Blam!!

How would you describe the flavor profile?

Unfortunately I've never made a Smash with it and I don't think it would be hugely flavoursome on its own. It's just a good clean builder to add speciality grains on to of.

AFAIK they don't supply Guinness. That's a maltster up the country in Athy.

Back