Malt extract - contents?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasseg

Reaction score
I've been looking everywhere for some information about what malt extract contains when it comes to fermementable sugar versus dextrins. Does anybody have a clue. I would imagine that darker varieties have more dextrins, but as it is now I have not got any idea what-so-ever. It sure would make brewing a lot easier...
cheers

Intersting question. I downloaded all the Breiss DME product data sheets before I bought bulk. DME Pilsen Light is 13% glucose, 48% maltose, 14% maltotriose, 19% higher sachrides, 75% fermentable and is 2 degree Lov. Their other DMEs are pretty much identical specs other than the lovibond. You can read the product sheets here:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Malt_Extracts.htm (scroll down)

For dextrin style malt:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Carapils_Malts.htm
They recommend up to 5% to increase foam, head retention, & mouthfeel.

thanks, very good. One thing, higher saccharids must be dextrines then and they make up 19%, so rest of the unfermentables must be from the other sugars then, to make things add up to 100% I mean?

75% is much higher than I thought it would be after making a couple of batches, could it be that the brew kits have lower fermentables to match the sugar one is supposed to add. Sort of a surprise as well that the fermentability is the same no matter the darkness of the malt, not at all what I would have thought.

Sort of a surprise as well that the fermentability is the same no matter the darkness of the malt, not at all what I would have thought.

The main difference is in the composition of the non-fermentables, more caramelization of the higher saccharides. The mono- and di-saccharides aren't effected.

The main difference is in the composition of the non-fermentables, more caramelization of the higher saccharides. The mono- and di-saccharides aren't effected.

so caramelized higher saccharides are something different from dextrines then? Would they be responsible for the sweeter taste of darker beers then...

Latest posts

Back