Malt comparison plan...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, yesterday I did a back to back brew day and I was AMAZED at the difference between mashing Marris Otter (MO) and 2 Row. MO was used for an Heady Topper clone and the first smelled sweet and bready and relaxing. Even the GF wanted to come downstairs once in a while.

Right behind that was a another DIPA, a Stone Ruination clone but the mashing 2 Row had a harsh iodine/salty aroma for most of the mash. I am not sure if it was just because it was so close in brew time to the MO, but this really made me wonder about ever using 2 Row again.

The worts of both tasted ok, with the Heady feeling sweeter, but the Ruination being cleaner on hop flavors.

The plan now is to find my home base malt. Starting with a pale ale, I am thinking: MO, Golden Promise, UK Pale Ale (Crisp), and Rahr 2 Row. Maybe just a dash of Magnum at 30 to bitter and then Centennial at 10 and whirlpool of 10 minutes.

Should I add a bit of crystal 20 for color and tiny bit of maltiness? Or leave them plain?

These would have to be brewed over a 4 day marathon I guess, so I'll need a couple more fermentors. Pitch us-05 in all and ferment at like 64F.

I'd love to read other's experiences, but I need to pin those aromas and tastes down in my head. Should I look at different base malts than these?

SMASH em! and see what you like. US05 Single Base and Single addition hop. Something Cheap and easy, 1 gal base and let em ride. No one will taste the same things you taste, you are better off spending the <$20 and choose your favorite.

Another user compared 2-Row vs Maris Otter vs Golden Promise vs Halcyon vs Pearl vs Optic. Definitely worth a read: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=439642

Regarding your question about hops and malts, why not do a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) test and stick to just your base grains and Centennial? In my opinion this will give you the truest representation of each malt, as well as showcase the effectiveness of using a single hop throughout the boil (I'd go with 60, 10 and Flame Out additions).

Back