making the beer a little fruity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
i have a question about putting some fruit into a beer. as i have been reading, the closer to the end of the primary or secondary (before bottling or kegging) when adding fruit gives the beer a sweeter taste. this is what im going for.

however, is this only true because it give the yeast less time to consume the sugar from the fruit or is there something else?

i dont wanna say what im doing in fear of being scolded by everyone :D but lets just say that when i add my raspberries, i wont have a yeast problem anymore, and if thats the case, could i keep the raspberries in the secondary longer than a couple days to give the beer even more flavor?

I made a raspberry weizen with decent results. What I did was crush the raspberries in the bottom of the primary then added the wort. The raspberry taste is stronger than the beer taste. I don't know much about adding them after the fact, but that might make it taste more like beer with a raspberry touch. Hope this is helpful!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Freeze the fruit first! That way whenyou thaw it, it will break the cell walls in the raspberries allowing the flavor to come out more.

Back