making some cider Premier Cuvée Dry Wine Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talamant3z

Reaction score
wife loves cider and after finding a recipe online i gave it a shot. i used 2 gallons of apple juice 2 pounds of sugar and an old mr beer plastic keg i had laying around. the recipe called for Premier Cuvée Dry Wine Yeast. after reading online i see people reporting it will make high abv cider or wine like cider. my question is how can i prevent wine like cider? would cutting fermentation time down help. if it cant be prevented i am not upset because the apple juice was maybe 5 bucks and yeast 50 cents but if i can save it i would like to give it a try, any suggestions?

wife loves cider and after finding a recipe online i gave it a shot. i used 2 gallons of apple juice 2 pounds of sugar and an old mr beer plastic keg i had laying around. the recipe called for Premier Cuvée Dry Wine Yeast. after reading online i see people reporting it will make high abv cider or wine like cider. my question is how can i prevent wine like cider? would cutting fermentation time down help. if it cant be prevented i am not upset because the apple juice was maybe 5 bucks and yeast 50 cents but if i can save it i would like to give it a try, any suggestions?

Making a "cider"ish cider would mean not adding sugar and extra fermentables to apple juice/cider because more sugar means a more wine-like flavor and body when the sugar ferments out.

Just about any wine yeast or brewer's yeast will take a cider dry, but it can be sweetened later on if you'd like a sweet cider.

Making a "cider"ish cider would mean not adding sugar and extra fermentables to apple juice/cider because more sugar means a more wine-like flavor and body when the sugar ferments out.

Just about any wine yeast or brewer's yeast will take a cider dry, but it can be sweetened later on if you'd like a sweet cider.
oh okay i really should have done more research on this thank you for your reply

It's the sugar that gives the higher ABV, it doesn't matter what yeast you use. And 2 pounds of sugar is a lot of sugar for 2 gallons of juice. I typically use 2 pounds for 5 or 6 gallons, get a specific gravity reading of about 1.075, or a potential of 10% ABV.

Did you get a starting gravity reading from your hydrometer?

I used it without any extra sugars, and result is a 5% abv, green-apple like cider with some residual sugar...great when carbonated!

Back