Making oak chips from old oak casks--how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasenman

Reaction score
I've got two old oak casks that won't hold water anymore. I'm thinking I might be able to make my own oak chips/cubes.

Anybody done this or know of a good place to inquire how to do this?

They're 50l barrels so there's lots of wood to be salvaged.

I'm thinking it could be as easy as using a circular saw to cut in half, separate the staves from the metal pieces and either cube it with the circular saw or chip it (somehow).

If I do this, is there a possibility the outer surface would cause problems when I use it in beer (off-flavors, bacterial contaminants, other)?

Cheers for any ideas!

If I do this, is there a possibility the outer surface would cause problems when I use it in beer (off-flavors, bacterial contaminants, other)?

Novel idea. But along with the chance of contaminants in the wood, I'm not sure you'd get that traditional "oaky" essence from wood that had been previously saturated with another form of libation. Also consider how they've been handled and what they've been exposed to, plus the possibility that the inside surface may still be harboring bacteria (both active and dormant) from previous use. Although you could skin off the surfaces to get to what looks like "fresh" wood, you'd want to boil the chips to sterilize them, which is also going to boil off some of the potential flavor. If I were dead set on using them and was doing a 5 gal batch, I'd pull off a 1 gal. sample and oak that to see what I got. I don't think I'd get the traditional effect of oak chips, and for my time and effort, I'd pass on using them.

EDIT: re: using a well-oiled chainsaw to chip them with --- some of that oil is going to end up in the wood.

Thanks for the responses gents!

I think I'll stay away from the chainsaw idea though for this though. Although convenient, I think GHBWNY has a good point about contamination.

A wooden chisel sounds good, though a lot of work. But, seems worth it!

So, I'm thinking just do something close to my original idea to cut in half with a circular saw, but use some kind of sterilized chisel/saw to chip out the parts that haven't touched anything buggy (outside area, parts that touched saw, yucky inside if any, etc.).

For sterilization, I was just thinking to soak chips in grain alcohol or some good, high-alcohol liquor (bourbon, scotch, rum, etc.)--similar to what homebrewers tend to do with chips and cubes.

A long process I'm sure, but one that might give me oak chips and cubes for years to come! :rockin:

Any obvious or theoretical problems with doing this aforementioned process?

So, besides rubbing oil all over it, (sarcasm aside) you guys have any advice for cutting with a circular saw? You guys seem to have more experience with saws than me. I've used a chainsaw, but that was on trees in the yard...

Just saw it up into cubes, I have done it in the past for aging some fuel ethanol I made in a past life. Works likes champ!

Frankly, I'd find some cool project to build them into, like lamps, or small tables, or something. It's so cheap to buy quality oak chips or cubes.

I've even seen a place open one end, put some speaker inside, and hang them form the ceiling. Makes a nice full sound and looks cool as hell.

I've chain-sawn oak; burning up chains is no joke! ;)

Yeah... Oil is needed, especially on well seasoned Oak.

BUT...

Oil in beer - no good!

The staves would have a natural curve to them... what if you were able to use them as parts to a rocking chair? Drill pilot holes so you don't split the wood grain and make sure to use a good glue like TightBond III.

Yeah... Oil is needed, especially on well seasoned Oak.

BUT...

Oil in beer - no good!

The staves would have a natural curve to them... what if you were able to use them as parts to a rocking chair? Drill pilot holes so you don't split the wood grain and make sure to use a good glue like TightBond III.

Skis

So, I'm guessing from all the great, sarcastic (and some not so) suggestions, this is a tough project to undertake. If I had regular access to oak chips in China, I might not be so keen on this. But, I'd like to try to use these casks for brewing somehow.

So, no one knows how they do the cubes and chips that homebrewers buy in homebrew stores? For as cheap as they sell them, I can't see that it'll take a master craftsman to chip them up somehow.

Just a bandsaw or a table saw will work. It will take some time, but it'll work.

On a commercial scale they just use a wood chipper. That is a bit extreme for the hobby level. Cube it up using a circular or table saw.

a6473a3135ef8490087fe2_l__54292.1383292809.1280.1280.jpg

one of the few shops i frequent sells these guys. So far it's going awesomely after soaking in some bourbon.

Latest posts

Back