making mango ipa when should i add the mangos?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyrobertson

Reaction score
hey guys i am about to brew an ipa that has mangos when should i do this this i was thinking either 5 minutes to flame out or dry fruit it five days before kegging HELP!~

i would use mangos in a secondary fermentation. adding mangos in the boil can cause a pectic haze. if you use to much it can cause the beer to be tart. ive found that fermenting with mangos will also decrease the bitterness a bit so adjust for that. in my mango habanero ipa i use 3lbs of frozen (trader joes) mangos per 5.5 gal in secondary..thaw, sanitize bag/scissors, add to secondary, and rack beer onto them. you will loose a good amount of beer to the fruit mush. i suggest using citra late in the boil and dry hopping to help up the mango intensity.

Friends of mine in Australia did a mango saison. They added it to secondary for 2 weeks and it wa perfect!

Back