Making Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I have 4 Kg of 2 row Barley .

How can I make Pale ale and Munich malt from the Barley at Home ?!

Hector

I would go buy the book Radical Brewing from Randy Mosher. It has some good info on making and roasting your own malt. In fact I am making my own crystal malt as I write this!!!

Malting is a complicated and time consuming process, this might get you started, just scale down a bit:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/

Munich malt is highly kilned pale malt. Here's a link that may help in that: http://brewery.org/brewery/library/Malt_AK0996.html:mug:

I've read a lot about the process . It was written in an article that for making Pale Ale ,

the green malt should be kilned for 3-5 Hours at 176-185 Degrees Fahrenheit ( using the Oven ) .

How would you find out if the malt has reached to the point ?!

I mean , how long should I wait ? 3 , 4 Or 5 Hours ?!

Hector

If I remember correctly it should weigh the same as when you started. It's not that critical as long as you get it dried, Your problem is going to be airflow assuming you're using an oven.

You need to move the malt around about every 5 or 10 minutes, go for 5 hrs if you can keep them from scorching/burning. You want to carry away the moisture as quickly as possible without letting them get too hot.

Be wary that the setting on your oven dial is not necessarily the temperature in your oven.

If I remember correctly it should weigh the same as when you started. It's not that critical as long as you get it dried, Your problem is going to be airflow assuming you're using an oven.

You need to move the malt around about every 5 or 10 minutes, go for 5 hrs if you can keep them from scorching/burning. You want to carry away the moisture as quickly as possible without letting them get too hot.

Be wary that the setting on your oven dial is not necessarily the temperature in your oven.

My main Problem is that our Oven at home works with Gas and the lowest Temp. is 250 Degrees Fahrenheit !!!

That's suitable for making highly kilned malts ( Dark ones ) .

Another Option is the Oven Toaster which stands on the Kitchen Counter and works with Electricity .

It's lowest Temp. is 122 Deg. F. , but it's Timer can be set up to 1 Hour .

Can you give me any suggestion , how to keep the Temp. around 180 D.F. for 3-5 Hours ?!

Hector

If the toaster oven goes to 180F, set it at that, test it with your thermometer before starting, then ROCK ON! If it doesn't, then bend over or buy something different.

If the toaster oven goes to 180F, set it at that, test it with your thermometer before starting, then ROCK ON! If it doesn't, then bend over or buy something different.

Do you mean that just 1 Hour in the toaster oven is enough ?!

As I said , it's Timer can be set up to 1 Hour .

I think if I would set the Timer again and again for 1 Hour ( 3-5 times ) ,

I should buy a new toaster oven every Week .

Hector

Is this a joke? Am I on candid camera? Where's Ashton at?

Not every week, buy one every hour.

I was serious , NOT joking !

So , there is no way for me to make Pale Ale at Home :(

Hector

Just so we know everyone's talking about the same thing.....

Where did you get the 2-row barley? Are you sure it's unmalted?
If you got it got it from a food co-op or grocery store, it's probably unmalted. If you got it from a brewing supply store, it's almost certainly already malted.

If it's already malted, start reading How To Brew by John Palmer. Read lots of stuff here on this site. Ask questions. Get answers.

If you're wanting to start brewing but don't know how, you probably don't want to start by malting your own grains. Make your first batch with malt extract and some grains for steeping. Get an understanding of the process, the proceed to more advanced methods.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm no novice either, and malting my own grains isn't anywhere on my list of things to do yet. Maybe never will be. But certainly not for a first batch.

Keep reading, get some good ingredients, and jump in!

To HomerJR :

The Barley is 100% Unmalted .

In fact , I began brewing my first batch (DME) 2 Weeks ago and yesterday

as I took a sample to measure the Gravity , I noticed that it smells like Vinegar .

I know that it's because of Bacteria . Although , I always sanitized everything with Iodophor .

I should be more careful next time .

I'm planning to brew an All Grain batch in the Spring . I've read a lot about the Process .

But , at first I should make the Base Malt . my main problem is Temperature and Time .

If I use the Oven , the Temp. is too high and If I use the toaster oven , it's Timer can be set up to 1 Hour .

Hector

Back