Making Baby Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is about two months pregnant right now, and I'm already looking forward to making our own baby food, when the time comes. I've read that freezing in the ice cube tray, then sealing in ziplock bags should keep good for up to 3 months or so. I just bought a Foodsaver and wondered if this may increase the life of the frozen baby food (as it does with others). Anyone with some experience?

With both sets of twins we made our own. I can't remember the name of the book she used but there were some great recipe for various “stews” and veggie combinations. We also did sauces with apple/blue berry, Apple/cherry, pear, peach and whatever else was in season. Just use old baby food jars not plastic to freeze in. (There are many chemicals in “food safe” plastics that will leach out). All in all it was a money saver and we felt better about their diet. One funny thing we noticed was for the second set we made a lot less and just fed them a lot more of our table food!

(and all 4 had mostly moma-milk up to 6 months!)

And here is the book:
http://www.amazon.com/First-Meals-Revised-healthy-toddlers/dp/075660365X

As a bonus the book got us back to cooking our foods with parsips, Rutabaga and more veggies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shallow braise something like cubes of butternut squash or carrots in a wide pot with water until the food has softened considerably and the water partially evaporates. Puree the solids in a food processor until very smooth, adding some of the cooking water as necessary to reach desired texture. Quick chill the puree in an ice bath, cover, label, date. Feed child contents of container within 3 days. Discard on the 4th day.

(Alternately, you can roast the squash and use breast milk or formula to thin it out in the food processor).

The title of this thread made me think of boobies. Then I saw the date of the first post, and it made me think of zombies.

I am not opposed to thinking of zombie boobies. Am I a sick person?

Haha! At the boobies.

Anyhow, my wife made baby food for a while, she froze it in ice trays, then popped it into ziploc bags. usually sweet potato's.

Worked so slick and we saved a sh** load by making our own! My kids eat a lot.

They are all past that stage now, but it worked well back then.

Get one of those Magic Bullet blenders. They do a great job pureeing foods, especially in small amounts. You will only need it for a few months for baby food, but they are perfect for milkshakes or frozen Magaritas.

We ONLY made our own baby food for our daughter. We used ice trays as someone already suggested. Everything from sweet potatoes to avocado's. We got fairly creative, little meat loafs in muffin tins with ground turkey, chicken, beef.

I also got hooked on frozen mangoes during this time. Great snack.

I would make huge batches at a time. Freeze in trays, then put them in freezer bags with the "made on" date. First in first out.

Never calculated any dollar values but I am sure we saved a boatload. Also she has loved veggies since day one. Which is great.

Back