Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its ok if you are not ready for this. We are here to share. Its your turn to share. Maybe you dont feel comfortable sharing. I shared the ninja vs unicorn in solidarity[emoji110]
Are you implying that a clear IPA is for a beginner and that a new england is for a more advanced palate?

Damn it! Why do I always forget the pic. Oh thats right i live in Denver.
20191018_191828.jpeg

Well Applescrap, come on to the Brew Hut tomorrow to help us judge. Three sessions from 9 am to 5 am.

Maybe you can teach us clear beer fools why turbid rules.

C'mon man, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't be ridiculoous.
Look at the ingredient list of a good West Coast IPA- it's not cheap by any means and it's certainly not flavorless.
And "meh"? everyone likes different stuff, man, but you can hardly call West Coast IPAs meh.
Are NEIPAs the only style you like?
I enjoy almost all styles of beer tbh, just depends on my mood. (yes, including NEIPA hazy bois)
The guy probably doesn't like beer and didn't start drinking it until they made beer that tastes like juice, my brother is the same way.

you guys are putting "hazy" and "new england" together as the same thing. They are not the same. The New England fad started out (i believe) by Alchemist and the like using Conan yeast and heavy dry hopping combined with not filtering. result was heady topper and the like.
Trillium, treehouse, other half, and all the NJ breweries i see churning out 2 or 3 new NEIPAs per week are doing the whole "heavily oated and wheated" thing along with big late and multiple dry hoppings. many of these are good. some are bad. they are all very similiar.
I dont think anybody could genuinely tell the difference between ANY variety of trillium NE DIPAs.
These are the beers that I'm over. they have the look and mouthfeel of porridge.
I don't want NEIPAs gone (to each their own) i just want a resurgence of bitter, clear, piney, citrusy, vibrant, crisp West Coast IPAs.
I'm going to SanDiego next week for a week and plan to bathe in classic West Coast IPAs and to mail some home.

If you like bitter, clear, piney, citrusy, vibrant, crisp West Coast IPAs, your headed to the right place to get them in SD. While down there, look for Beachwood, El Segundo, RIIP, and Chapman on the guest handles. They are some of the OC and LA breweries just up the freeway that are also producing excellent West Coast IPAs. Cheers!

Its ok if you are not ready for this. We are here to share. Its your turn to share. Maybe you dont feel comfortable sharing. I shared the ninja vs unicorn in solidarity[emoji110]
buddy, what?
i work at a craft beer bar. our bottle share is crazy in that i get to try a ton of amazing New Englands. I'm just over them is all. You assuming that I'm not "ready" or "advanced" enough to appreciate them is just laughable at best.
My wife's boss is like this. He got into craft beer around the time that juicy NEIPAs rose to fame and that is the only thing the man understands as craft beer. we try and expose him to stouts, saisons, sours, real belgian beers etc... no go... "i just want something juicyyyyy"
one time, as a joke, i put like 1/3 OJ in a NEIPA and he liked it. joke didnt land, lol

that would be stupid tho since it implies that whatever is new or currently popular is somehow "better" especially since we're talking flavor preference.

Not better to everyone but it is better to the majority therefore making it the new/currently popular choice. Cheers

Dang, I am glad you shared. Wow, you really have drank some brews. Sounds amazing getting to try all that variety. I am over paying for them. But now I am drinking pina colada sours at 4 a can so at least I got that going for me.

buddy, what?
i work at a craft beer bar. our bottle share is crazy in that i get to try a ton of amazing New Englands. I'm just over them is all. You assuming that I'm not "ready" or "advanced" enough to appreciate them is just laughable at best.
My wife's boss is like this. He got into craft beer around the time that juicy NEIPAs rose to fame and that is the only thing the man understands as craft beer. we try and expose him to stouts, saisons, sours, real belgian beers etc... no go... "i just want something juicyyyyy"
one time, as a joke, i put like 1/3 OJ in a NEIPA and he liked it. joke didnt land, lol

Bouillabaisse or marinara. Sure argue one is better than the other based on preference or flat like one better based on preference, got it. The ol end all, I prefer that.

Going past that, perhaps the neipa is in actual fact better, in identifiable ways. They are likely more expensive to make, have more complex grain bills, more hops, and more flavor. From a non biased view wouldnt a rational person, perhaps a non beer drinker, conclude one is in actual fact better. Just like you would go to the gumbo over tomato soup. That said sometimes I do like tomato soup a lot!

Bouillabaisse or marinara. Sure argue one is better than the other based on preference or flat like one better based on preference, got it. The ol end all, I prefer that.

Going past that, perhaps the neipa is in actual fact better, in identifiable ways. They are likely more expensive to make, have more complex grain bills, more hops, and more flavor. From a non biased view wouldnt a rational person, perhaps a non beer drinker, conclude one is in actual fact better. Just like you would go to the gumbo over tomato soup. That said sometimes I do like tomato soup a lot!

I think the key here is that @applescrap is "woke". I mean, we're all just locked into these outmoded "style guidelines" that attempt to define beer, when what truly defines a beer is what it itself identifies as.

Who's to say that a 1.050 pale lager with noble hops isn't an Imperial Stout if that beer really inherently identifies as an imperial stout?

Who's to say that a turbid beer with low bitterness can't identify as an "IPA" if it wants to? I'm not going to tell a beer that it has to be what *I* think it is... That would just be bigotry. Let the beer come out as whatever it wants!

"Style" is just a construct, man... It's imposed by the powers that be [TPTB] to keep alternative beerstyles down. What's important is what a beer, in its core, believes itself to be!!!

In the words of Louis Armstrong, its either good or its bad. Before him Shakespeare said nothing is either good or bad, thinking makes it so.

To summarize your clever post: long live reinheitsgebot?! Man my mind is going wild with the whole who's to say thing.

Some side fyi, the term woke or to wake up is used often in buddhism and zen buddhism. It is a state of being present and aware. A compliment indeed.

I think the key here is that @applescrap is "woke". I mean, we're all just locked into these outmoded "style guidelines" that attempt to define beer, when what truly defines a beer is what it itself identifies as.

Who's to say that a 1.050 pale lager with noble hops isn't an Imperial Stout if that beer really inherently identifies as an imperial stout?

Who's to say that a turbid beer with low bitterness can't identify as an "IPA" if it wants to? I'm not going to tell a beer that it has to be what *I* think it is... That would just be bigotry. Let the beer come out as whatever it wants!

"Style" is just a construct, man... It's imposed by the powers that be [TPTB] to keep alternative beerstyles down. What's important is what a beer, in its core, believes itself to be!!!

Last edited:

OK, I'll throw a crate on the dumpster fire. Since we've wandered into the kitchen now, a fruit cake is likely more expensive to make, have a more complex ingredient list, more fruit, and more flavor than a plain old rum cake, but I would wager that most rational folks would not choose the fruit cake as better than the rum cake. Complexity/cost is not a linear relationship to quality or preference. You can hand me the best NEIPA ever produced, and I will enjoy it, but I would not consider it better than a west coaster, just different.

MICA.....gotta get one of those hats.

OK, I'll throw a crate on the dumpster fire. Since we've wandered into the kitchen now, a fruit cake is likely more expensive to make, have a more complex ingredient list, more fruit, and more flavor than a plain old rum cake, but I would wager that most rational folks would not choose the fruit cake as better than the rum cake. Complexity/cost is not a linear relationship to quality or preference. You can hand me the best NEIPA ever produced, and I will enjoy it, but I would not consider it better than a west coaster, just different.

Rube Goldberg did make the best machines ever, didn't he?

Fruitcake, fruitcake! Haha, no one eats fruitcake. But yeah thats a good point perhaps my palate isnt sophisticated enough to enjoy it. I vehemently disagree with you and that thinking was ruining my life until someone here on hbt helped me to the light in a steak discussion. Sure, ill agree that cost and complexity arent directly corollary with preference. The ol i prefer that, got it.

Cost and complexity are positively proportionate with quality in most cases imo. I get there are many cases this might not be true, but things that cost more are generally nicer and of higher quality from speakers to hotel rooms. Just my opinion.

I loves me a good hazy but check this out:

IMG_20191026_132227.jpg

It's really quite good. Light and crisp at 7%.
According to BA:
Malts: American Copeland Pilsner and the Choicest Rice
Hops: CTZ, Czech Saaz (for spice), Oregon Amarillo, Yakima Citra and Michigan Chinook.

55 IBU

They're calling it a brut. I would have not suspected that upon first sip. Kind of tempted to pull out the hydrometer.

It's clear.

When Bruts get to the higher ABVs the alcohol does a lot to boost body. It’s very deceiving. If there’s very little bitterness and the water profile is correct they drink more like a 2.5* FG beer. It’s kinda nuts. I’d bet it’s below 1 Plato FG.

Last edited:
Fruitcake, fruitcake! Haha, no one eats fruitcake. But yeah thats a good point perhaps my palate isnt sophisticated enough to enjoy it. I vehemently disagree with you and that thinking was ruining my life until someone here on hbt helped me to the light in a steak discussion. Sure, ill agree that cost and complexity arent directly corollary with preference. The ol i prefer that, got it.

Cost and complexity are positively proportionate with quality in most cases imo. I get there are many cases this might not be true, but things that cost more are generally nicer and of higher quality from speakers to hotel rooms. Just my opinion.
Don't knock fruitcake until you try it.....

Soaked in rum and other boozes.

Truth be told my mother made fruitcake every year. Loved it as a kid since it was fresh. Some years later she made it with a healthy dose of Triple Sec, Gran Marnier, Rum and Brandy.

You must realize your argument is silly by now.
More does not always equal better.
"More flavor" had me laughing irl btw. How many flavor units does a neipa have? Lolololol
Similar to cooking i prefer fewer ingredients and finding the right way prepare them so they shine as opposed to a kitchen sink approach.
I dont mean the rheingoldstat (spelling?)
I mean it more like honey nut cheerios are better than fruit loops despite the fruit loops having "more flavor"

Yeah, brewers tend to name the beer after the style they intended to brew. VERY often the beer becomes something else, but they stick with the name rather than adjusting to what the resulting beer became. This creates a false sense of brewers making "bad" beer rather than the fact that it didn't turn out as expected and can be a very good beer if advertised as it is.

Back