Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or as the master poet of our time asked... (Not directed at you personally.)

Ok, here is a philosophical question for you. We are all familiar with the question of if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

So...

If a bunch of people get drunk and don't care about polarization, did the NEIPA/IPA debate every really exist at all?

Sounds like the ultimate solution to world peace if you ask me!

Ok, here is a philosophical question for you. We are all familiar with the question of if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

So...

If a bunch of people get drunk and don't care about polarization, did the NEIPA/IPA debate every really exist at all?

Sounds like the ultimate solution to world peace if you ask me!
Will it change things if one gets drunk on only IPA or just NEIPA?

Will it change things if one gets drunk on only IPA or just NEIPA?
What happens if you get Canadian IPA?

It's so polite it won't be so hoppy so as not to offend.

I had this IPA in Toronto.... Alexander Keith's

It's exactly what I mention above. An IPA with no perceived bitterness. LoL
IMG_20191015_204848.jpeg

Last edited:
What happens if you get Canadian IPA?

It's so polite it's won't be so hoppy so as not to offend.

I had this IPA in Toronto.... Alexander Keith's

It's exactly what I mention above. An IPA with no perceived bitterness. LoLView attachment 648380

Alexander Keith is a macro brewery similar to BMC. A very poor example of what we have available. Cheers

Mention of the "master poet" reminds me there are some limes in the fridge that need to soon find a use. Meanwhile, this abstract (full text paywalled) seems on point regarding testing whether bitterness response correlates with disgust response. More may be found in this survey piece and its references. Less may be found about what use to make of this insight -- assuming it's even valid.

It's so funny, people were arguing about this stupid crap when Black IPA was around. "How can you have a black IPA? It's an oxymoron! It doesn't make sense! Mom!!!!!!!!!" "No it's Cascadian Dark Ale!" "No it's Black IPA!"

I draw the line at Milkshake IPA. That can piss right off. That is not beer.

It's so funny, people were arguing about this stupid crap when Black IPA was around. "How can you have a black IPA? It's an oxymoron! It doesn't make sense! Mom!!!!!!!!!" "No it's Cascadian Dark Ale!" "No it's Black IPA!"

I don't think I ever walked into a beer bar and saw something merely labeled "IPA" and received a black IPA. But I've gone into numerous bars and seen things merely labeled "IPA" and received hazies.

Yes, American Black India Pale Ale conflates American/India and conflates Black/Pale. What's next, brew it with lager yeast and call it an American Black IPA Schwarzbier? But at least "Black IPA" or "Cascadian Dark Ale" or whatever you call it actually references what it is, and the rest of us know it's not a standard American IPA, which is the default when you merely hear "IPA".

I'm not saying NEIPA or Hazy IPA shouldn't "be a style"? I'm saying that breweries and bars should clearly label whether their IPA is hazy or not on their menus. Because American IPA or West Coast IPA are styles distinctly different From NEIPA or Hazy IPA, and the server should take care not to conflate them.

I don't think I ever walked into a beer bar and saw something merely labeled "IPA" and received a black IPA. But I've gone into numerous bars and seen things merely labeled "IPA" and received hazies.

Yes, American Black India Pale Ale conflates American/India and conflates Black/Pale. What's next, brew it with lager yeast and call it an American Black IPA Schwarzbier? But at least "Black IPA" or "Cascadian Dark Ale" or whatever you call it actually references what it is, and the rest of us know it's not a standard American IPA, which is the default when you merely hear "IPA".

I'm not saying NEIPA or Hazy IPA shouldn't "be a style"? I'm saying that breweries and bars should clearly label whether their IPA is hazy or not on their menus. Because American IPA or West Coast IPA are styles distinctly different From NEIPA or Hazy IPA, and the server should take care not to conflate them.
American Black IPL, duh.

It's the logical next step from the direction NEIPA has taken.

That doesn't mean it's not disgusting.

Meanwhile there are far more insidious things afoot.

View attachment 648482
King Hammurabi, was a Babylonian ruler responsible for mankind’s first set of laws, known as the Code of Hammurabi. With this in mind, these kind of unusual "beverages" should perhaps subject the creator to be forcibly drowned in their own swill.

King Hammurabi, was a Babylonian ruler responsible for mankind’s first set of laws, known as the Code of Hammurabi. With this in mind, these kind of unusual "beverages" should perhaps subject the creator to be forcibly drowned in their own swill.

That is what you vomit up if you accidentally drink toilet bowl cleaner.

If saisons can have a barnyard character, why shouldn't a sour milkshake IPA have a vomit like texture and mouthfeel.
Hmmmm, barnyard. Now that sounds like a "Cowpie" PA with a real down-to-earth farmyard character.

Hmmmm, barnyard. Now that sounds like a "Cowpie" PA with a real down-to-earth farmyard character.
I stopped using gelatin for getting clearer beer after I got a good whiff of the jar I heated the gelatin in. Very reminiscent of warm afternoon near a Wisconsin dairy farm.

I stopped using gelatin for getting clearer beer after I got a good whiff of the jar I heated the gelatin in. Very reminiscent of warm afternoon near a Wisconsin dairy farm.
Use isinglass. Fish guts smell way tastier than cow feet.

Gelatin is a translucent, colorless, flavorless food ingredient, derived from collagen taken from animal body parts. Maybe the wrong parts ended up in your jar... [emoji481]

Nothing in your description speaks of aroma. It was Knox brand gelatin, simple test just heat to 160 in a covered jar. It may be tasteless but the thought of something that smelled like that in my beer does not seem right. It is time and gravity for me now, what does not fall out I live with.

What's next is an Imperial Mild or A Doppelkölsch. Maybe a Light Belgian Quad.

Or for you Canadians out there....

A Timmy Hortons Double Double Coffee Stout. A little sweet and creamy. In a cardboard growler with a nitro widget included. The place to stop before work and after work.
d981df6d079cd3edc11c5f01770b6af0.jpeg

That is what you vomit up if you accidentally drink toilet bowl cleaner.
You never drink toilet bowl cleaner by accident.

It's like getting a girl pregnant by accident. You were naked with a piss hard on, you tripped over a shoe, on the way to the bathroom, then fell on top of her while she was looking for a lost contact on the carpet. Bada Bing Bada Boom she was pregnant. While claiming not to know why she was naked and in your bedroom in the first place. Dumb luck I guess. Maybe she was sleep walking...
That stuff is made from the hooves. Try agar-agar it's made from algae. But you might turn your bottles or kegs into yeast slants.

Last edited:
You never drink toilet bowl cleaner by accident.

It's like getting a girl pregnant by accident. You were naked with a piss hard on, you tripped over a shoe, on the way to the bathroom, then fell on top of her while she was looking for a lost contact on the carpet. Bada Bing Bada Boom she was pregnant. While claiming not to know why she was naked and in your bedroom in the first place. Dumb luck I guess. Maybe she was sleep walking...
That stuff is made from the hooves. Try agar-agar it's made from algae. But you might turn your bottles or kegs into yeast slants.
A piss hardon? haha, I've been saying piss boner for YEARS...thought I was the only one who got those :D

I had a Pliny last night... I suppose it was "decent" too, you know, for an obviously inferior "clear" beer. :p
Your in the wrong tread. This one's about how not clear beers are obviously inferior mess ups and the only reason there so popular is because anyone that likes them are sheep's following the trend and not because they actually like them. Cheers

Exactly. I don't want NEIPA to go away. If people like drinking them, then good for them. Most people in the world truly don't like bitterness as a flavor. We're attuned to sweetness as a rule. If you think about it from an evolutionary biology standpoint, sweet things had more sugar [obviously], so they were more often than not going to be higher calories per unit volume than something bitter. If you didn't know when your next meal would show up, sweetness was a signal that you were getting more sustenance.

But I love bitterness. I drink coffee black. I can barely eat milk chocolate, but those 85% cacao dark chocolate bars taste like perfection to me. I like kale and all the other bitter leafy green vegetables. This might be TMI, but I actually enjoy eating orange peel, and that's bitter af...

I don't drink a lot of imperial stouts, barleywines, etc. They're usually too sweet for me. Nothing against the people that love them--I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just saying that they don't really do it for me.

So this trend towards only late hopping, trying to get all the hop flavors and aroma and a tiny portion of the bitterness? I mean, I do like some of those beers. After all, they still have some bitterness to offset the sweetness. They're just not my favorite style of IPA.

But a well-made West Coast IPA, with a clean and crisp malt bill, a nice big hop aroma, and a crushing bitterness in the 60-90 IBU range? I'll take that all day long.

I like bitter things like you: black coffee, dark chocolate, etc. I like some west coast IPAs. I also like NEIPAs. I tend to brew mine as a fusion of the styles. I don't like crystal in my IPAs, so I brew with a NEIPA malt bill (mostly pale ale malt or golden promise, some carapils, a small amount of flaked wheat and oats....about 7% of each). I hop early for bitterness, then the typical whirlpool hops and dry hopping of NEIPA. The result has a sublte malt balance, IBUs (theoretical) in the 70's and the intense hop flavors and aroma of a fresh NEIPA. It's not murky, but definitely hazy.

...and it's glorious.
DingoJuice.jpeg

Bro, thats murky, and yes glorious looking. Dang that looks good.
I like bitter things like you: black coffee, dark chocolate, etc. I like some west coast IPAs. I also like NEIPAs. I tend to brew mine as a fusion of the styles. I don't like crystal in my IPAs, so I brew with a NEIPA malt bill (mostly pale ale malt or golden promise, some carapils, a small amount of flaked wheat and oats....about 7% of each). I hop early for bitterness, then the typical whirlpool hops and dry hopping of NEIPA. The result has a sublte malt balance, IBUs (theoretical) in the 70's and the intense hop flavors and aroma of a fresh NEIPA. It's not murky, but definitely hazy.

...and it's glorious. View attachment 648671

Back