Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love IPA's and I recently made a great NEIPA. Matter of fact, it ended up being on of my best beers. But yes I have gotten a bit tired of the tropical IPAs and the NEIPA style. I recently made an IPA with only Warrior hops and it came out great. Nothing tropical about it. Just old school and hoppy.
Nothing wrong with liking more than one type of IPA. Gives you plenty of options. Cheers

No, the sludge look that people crave nowadays comes from that
Must be a location thing then. Around here the "hazy" beers that people crave don't have any sludge and are craved because of the hop flavour. Basically there just a more flavorful unfiltered ipa. More I read these comments makes me feel I'm lucky to have so little mediocre brewers around me. Cheers

I get more excited by seeing Brut IPA on the shelves at stores personally. I like dry beers though. Interested in trying Founders Civilized IPA. https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/civilized-brut-ipa/

I’m in New England and have had my fair share of Hazy IPAs over the past 5 years, it’s played out IMO. They all live in the same flavor zone of fruity/tropical with a residual sweetness that I don’t care for.

It was fun to try various takes on the style when it first came out but now every start up craft brewery tries to place their bets on it with the same hops and can’t come close to execute as well as brewers like Alchemist, Trillium, TreeHouse, Hill Farmstead, etc

I get more excited by seeing Brut IPA on the shelves at stores personally. I like dry beers though. Interested in trying Founders Civilized IPA. https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/civilized-brut-ipa/

I’m in New England and have had my fair share of Hazy IPAs over the past 5 years, it’s played out IMO. They all live in the same flavor zone of fruity/tropical with a residual sweetness that I don’t care for.

It was fun to try various takes on the style when it first came out but now every start up craft brewery tries to place their bets on it with the same hops and can’t come close to execute as well as brewers like Alchemist, Trillium, TreeHouse, Hill Farmstead, etc
I think the key is not sticking to one style exclusively to avoid getting sick of them. Old ipas are a great example of that. They were the popular kids beer for so long as there wasn't really any other IPA to choose from or at least that people wanted. When the new ipas came out majority completely abondoned the old style as it was so played out at that point and the breweries were forced to stop making them as there's no point making something that no longer sells. It's slowly making a comeback around here though. About a year ago you could go to the top 10 breweries and find 8 new style ipas and maybe 1 old style if you were lucky. Now there usually at least 1-2 old style. Hopefully some day there will be a more balanced variety. Definitely a bummer if you only like the old style though. Cheers

I think it depends on the brewery - take Sierra Nevada, their portfolio is still heavily west coast ipa and pale ale but they dabbled in the “hazy” area to keep current.

So many small startup brewers are putting all their chips on a “juicy” ipa or two. Bad move. The market in that category is over saturated.

If I was a startup brewery right now, I wouldn’t touch that style, it’s played out.

I think it depends on the brewery - take Sierra Nevada, their portfolio is still heavily west coast ipa and pale ale but they dabbled in the “hazy” area to keep current.

So many small startup brewers are putting all their chips on a “juicy” ipa or two. Bad move. The market in that category is over saturated.

If I was a startup brewery right now, I wouldn’t touch that style, it’s played out.
As they say once you open a brewery you no longer in the business of brewing beer you like its brewing beers that sell and at least in the micro brewing world the new style ipa is still the king of sales hence the creation of the thread. Of course if your in a different location as myself or the op the situation could be completely the opposite. Admittedly I'm assuming the op wasn't refering to the stuff that's sold at Walmart/target like Sierra Nevada etc. Cheers

Admittedly I'm assuming the op wasn't refering to the stuff that's sold at Walmart/target like Sierra Nevada etc. Cheers
I made a rare venture into Target recently and saw shelves full of juice bombs, pastries, and sours. I take that as a solid indication that these styles are no longer cool. Karen wants to see the manager about the price.

Seems to me that alot of these recent techniques like BIAB and NEIPA have just arisen out of laziness.

I BIAB and I do not consider myself anywhere near lazy.

I also like NEIPA. However I also like traditional IPAs, stouts, pilsners, blonds, Scottish ales, alts.

I respect your opinion that you are not a fan of hazy beer (or maybe even dark beer). But that doesn’t make me lazy.

I made a rare venture into Target recently and saw shelves full of juice bombs, pastries, and sours. I take that as a solid indication that these styles are no longer cool. Karen wants to see the manager about the price.
I didn't mean that as a dig at Sierra Nevada or anything sold at the box stores just that at that point it's more a mass produced product and not the micro brewed stuff I believe this specific discussion was based on. Cheers

I am drinking one of the founders right now - it is pretty tasty. AND, IT IS CLEAR!!!

How do you get ignored? I feel I am being ignored if I am not being ignored too!
It usually starts of with a debate between 2 people. Rather than just admitting defeat some people choose to ignore the other to save there pride. An example in this thread would be something like person 1 would say something like I like all types of ipas. person 2 would then say something like person 1s tastes are incorrect and there tastes are correct. Person 1 would then reply that taste are subjective. Person 2 wouldn't have a rebuttal and would say there gonna ignore person 1 to save face. It's the homebrewers version of flipping the gameboard over right before loosing on monopoly. Cheers

Last edited:
Now I really hate to ask a dumb question (Well .. . . not really) But, I usually peruse this particular topic as entertainment while imbibing, and perhaps I have misunderstood the topic at hand. But it seems to me it all boils down to apple pie. I LOVE apple pie. Greatest pie on earth, and the most popular pie in America to boot. But I know there are folks that can't stand it - and that is fine; MORE FOR ME-right. But then a feller come along with a big old slab of peach pie, and tells me," I got me some new apple pie here." Now I look at and I can see it ain't apple pie. It don't smell the same, look the same, taste the same, it is different. So I say, "That ain't apple pie." And Mr. Peach says, "To hell it ain't!!! It is apple pie - real apple pie - apple pie with REAL apple pie flavors; not that tasteless bland old fashion apple pie!" Now I say, " But it ain't really! It's pie fore sure - but it ain't apple pie, its totally different." At which point Mr Peach gets totally self righteous, calls me names just because I am sliding gracelessly into geezerhood, and tells me that I am a pieracist because i won't acknowledge that his peach pie is just as much an apple pie as my old fashioned apple pie. Then he tells me I am stunting his growth and limiting his prospects and generally demeaning pie in general, because i won't like his pie as much as mine . . . . Or is this different than that?

((((( ( I would post an ironic picture of some one crying with snarky commentary and such right here - but being a boomer I probably don't know how)))))))

Now I really hate to ask a dumb question (Well .. . . not really) But, I usually peruse this particular topic as entertainment while imbibing, and perhaps I have misunderstood the topic at hand. But it seems to me it all boils down to apple pie. I LOVE apple pie. Greatest pie on earth, and the most popular pie in America to boot. But I know there are folks that can't stand it - and that is fine; MORE FOR ME-right. But then a feller come along with a big old slab of peach pie, and tells me," I got me some new apple pie here." Now I look at and I can see it ain't apple pie. It don't smell the same, look the same, taste the same, it is different. So I say, "That ain't apple pie." And Mr. Peach says, "To hell it ain't!!! It is apple pie - real apple pie - apple pie with REAL apple pie flavors; not that tasteless bland old fashion apple pie!" Now I say, " But it ain't really! It's pie fore sure - but it ain't apple pie, its totally different." At which point Mr Peach gets totally self righteous, calls me names just because I am sliding gracelessly into geezerhood, and tells me that I am a pieracist because i won't acknowledge that his peach pie is just as much an apple pie as my old fashioned apple pie. Then he tells me I am stunting his growth and limiting his prospects and generally demeaning pie in general, because i won't like his pie as much as mine . . . . Or is this different than that?

((((( ( I would post an ironic picture of some one crying with snarky commentary and such right here - but being a boomer I probably don't know how)))))))

Yes, it's JUST like that.

The difference is that the peach pie isn't murky.

Your on the right track. But person 2 needs to also have a apple pie to relate to this thread. The taste is different between 1 and 2s pies because they were made differently. Person 1 feels there both great but person 2 challenges that. Person 1 reminds person 2 that tastes subjective. Person 2 has no more argument but instead of admitting there incorrect they flip the game board and storm out. Cheers

Your on the right track. But person 2 needs to also have a apple pie to relate to this thread. The taste is different between 1 and 2s pies because they were made differently. Person 1 feels there both great but person 2 challenges that. Person 1 reminds person 2 that tastes subjective. Person 2 has no more argument but instead of admitting there incorrect they flip the game board and storm out. Cheers

NO - I am pretty sure its apples and peaches.

Just to make sure: you understand apples are generally smooth outside, and pale inside. And peaches are generally fuzzy and sort of orangish yellow . . . . It's a drunken analogy thing :ghostly:

Just to make sure: you understand apples are generally smooth outside, and pale inside. And peaches are generally fuzzy and sort of orangish yellow . . . . It's a drunken analogy thing :ghostly:

And apples and peaches are both related to roses, but peaches have cyanide in the middle. It's another drunken analogy thing. [emoji6]

The only consistent thing in life is change.

I have decided that my 2020 New Years resolution is to brew a NEIPA. Yes. There, I said it. I’m going to branch out HBT peeps. [emoji482]

The only consistent thing in life is change.

I have decided that my 2020 New Years resolution is to brew a NEIPA. Yes. There, I said it. I’m going to branch out HBT peeps. [emoji482]
But are you going to be in New England when you do it?

If not, it's Not Exactly India Pale Ale. - LoL

Hazy Little Thing is SNs 2nd best selling SKU at the moment and has been for a while....

I just want to brew the best hoppy beers I can. For me most of them end up being hazy. Haze is never the goal, just happens to be the end result.

Generally no wheat or oats, plenty of hops in the kettle, FG around 3-3.5, generally Sulfate heavy although keeping the Ca a little lower. Highly flocculent yeast, although it’s English or sometimes Cali/English blend. Dry hopping after fermentation always. However the whirlpool and dry hop loads end up being rather large and the beers have tons of hop flavor and especially aroma. Generally new school hops although often a little nugget, chinook, Sterling, crystal thrown in for complexity. Enough bitterness to balance them out yet a nice soft profile to make them pleasurable to drink.

Never ever fined. Often hazy, but not always.

I have two beers on tap now. Both exactly the same recipe, water, and process from start to finish. One is crystal clear and one is incredibly hazy. Only difference is the hops. One has hops really high in polyphenols, one doesn’t.

Just make great hoppy beer, who cares what it looks like.

No I am pretty sure its apples to apples. One pie is busting at the seems with the best freshest tastiest apples and the other has a few tasteless overcooked apples. Its like that. No peaches. But I sure do enjoy your point making.
NO - I am pretty sure its apples and peaches.

I just want to brew the best hoppy beers I can. For me most of them end up being hazy. Haze is never the goal, just happens to be the end result.

I have two beers on tap now. Both exactly the same recipe, water, and process from start to finish. One is crystal clear and one is incredibly hazy. Only difference is the hops. One has hops really high in polyphenols, one doesn’t.

Just make great hoppy beer, who cares what it looks like.

That's an interesting thought. Look at the hop parameters. Aside from AAU. I never really look closely at the values.

FYI - Citra

Copy and pasted from here: http://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/citra/

Also Known As Citra[emoji2400] Brand HBC 394

Characteristics - Citrus, grapefruit, lime, tropical fruits, harsh bitterness

Purpose - Bittering & Aroma

Alpha Acid Composition - 10%-15%

Beta Acid Composition - 3%-4.5%

Co-Humulone Composition - 20%-35%

Country - US

Cone Size - Medium

Cone Density - Tight

Seasonal Maturity - Mid

Yield Amount - 1600-1800 kg/hectare (1400-1600 lbs/acre)

Growth Rate - Medium to high

Resistant to - Downy mildew, powdery mildew and verticillium wilt

Susceptible to - Aphids

Storability - Retains 75% alpha acid after 6 months storage at 20ºC (68ºF)

Ease of Harvest - Easy to moderate

Total Oil Composition - 1.5-3 mL/100g

Myrcene Oil Composition - 60%-70%

Humulene Oil Composition - 7%-12%

Caryophyllene Oil - 5%-8%

Farnesene Oil -1%

Substitutes - Simcoe[emoji2400], Cascade (US), Centennial, Mosaic[emoji2400]Style GuideIndia Pale Ale, American Ales, Amber

Back