Magical 48 hour carbonation... or potential bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonOfAVondruke

Reaction score
12 hours after bottling my latest batch (An amped up Wit with some hoppy west coast flair) I discovered every last one of them from the flip-top growlers to 12 oz bottles had a tiny foamy white krausen floating on top, which has yet to subside in most of them. 36 hours later I gave in to temptation to check that everything was alright. To my surprise there was no gush, nothing amis at all, just the best beer I've ever made already adequately (if not completely) carbed up and begging to be guzzled down. Now, the vast majority of fermentation in the primary was finished in a similar length of time (with a blowoff being absolutely necessary within hours of pitching) and the krausen took some gentle manhandling of the bucket to finally sink after about 10 days during the last few of which the gravity didn't move a wit. I'm not particularly worried about infection here given the timetable (though it is always a slight possibility), but it all seems a bit too good to be true.

Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on here?

1bpCymC.jpg

ksCxE75.jpg

For any good it will do, or to sate curiosity, the recipe:

3 Lb Dry malt extract (Light)
3 Lb Dry malt extract (Wheat)
1 Lb Flaked Oats
1 Lb Vienna Malt
1 Lb Honey Malt
.5 Lb Rye Malt

2 oz Perle pellets (1 oz at 45 min, 1 oz at 15 min)
1 oz Crushed coriander at 15 min
1 oz Bitter orange peel at 15 min

1 oz HBC 438 pellets for 36 hours immediately prior to bottling.

Right about 5 gallons into the primary, OG: 1.068, FG: 1.018

It really doesn't take long for the yeast to eat the simple priming sugars and beer carbonates quickly but often the beer improves with a little more time in the bottles. Leave some of the beer bottled at room temperature for a month and compare the flavors.

Being that this beer is a wheat beer, it may not change much in the next few weeks. A darker beer definitely will.

I'm certainly planning to give it another week or so in the bottles before I open another. The mini krausens in the bottles and unprecedented (in my limited experience) speed carbonating just had me a little concerned and wondering if anyone else had run into such phenomena.

Back