Made a couple yeast starters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a couple batches soon so I got the yeast going.

First I resurrected an old jar of German Ale 1007 with a 1 liter starter.
The yeast was a bit slow to wake up but it is going decently now with a layer of yeast on the top.

The second is a 2 liter with a brand new pack of wyeast Munich Lager.
This one took fairly quickly.

I don't have a stir plate, so try to shake the jugs from time to time (keep it clean guys!).
I've never worked with actual lager yeast before...when I shake the Munich jug a boatload of CO2 always comes out of solution. The first time I didn't expect it all and it foamed hard, filling all the head space and blowing up through the top of the jug! Crazy!

CO2 coming out of solution always happens with shaking starters vs. stir plate. I thought I was doing something wrong a few times. If you shake/swirl them more often it's better. You can also do it in steps. Swirl until some comes out, let it sit a minute, swirl again, sit again, etc. You'll slowly release the same volume of CO2 over time vs releasing it all at once. The easiest thing to do is sit on the couch and swirl them at commercial breaks.

You can also do it in steps. Swirl until some comes out, let it sit a minute, swirl again, sit again, etc. You'll slowly release the same volume of CO2 over time vs releasing it all at once.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. That Munich lager yeast is flocculating pretty hard...I have chunks of the stuff whirling around in there when I swirl it.

Back