Lyles Black Treacle flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Making a British Brown and adding Lyles Black Treacle. Any ideas how much to add? I used 8 oz blackstrap before and it was fine, but am not sure what flavor this will add.
The recipe is from a fantasy draft so I have to use the ingredients.
9lbs Optic
8 oz Bairds dark crystal
3 oz Crisp Black Patent
1oz EKG at 60
1oz Fuggles at 5
London Ale WLP013

Thanks in advance!

I would start with only 4 Oz. Then use that as a baseline by which to determine the addition for future brews.

I agree. I brewed an old ale recipe and used 4 oz in a 2.7 gallon batch (2.5 gal keg target).

This was 4.4% of a 5.75 lb fermentable bill, OG 1.060, FG 1.016. Half as much might have been better. The beer has only been in a keg about 5 weeks. It's good, but not great (yet). The treacle leaves a sweet flavor even though as we all know, the sugar has totally fermented away. The treacle seems to cover the malt flavors, or at least, I find the distinction muddled.

Thanks. I had a feeling 8 oz would be too much. Ill try 4oz this time. Let you know how it turns out!

I have a recipe book mostly with English brews and the Author uses 3oz of black treacle in 5 gallon batches, that was a beer called old peculiar. if you know the beer you know how good it is, one of my favorite tipples

thanks. Made a note of that for next time! Wort tasted amazing this morning. Optic malt is nice!

Recently made an old ale with black treacle, I used a whole Lb. Took a while to mature but taste great from the fermenter now. Going to rack tomorrow to secondary for barrel aging.

Would anyone be able to comment upon the difference in the flavor characteristics of Lyle's Black Treacle (~100L) in comparison to Belgian DL-90 Candi Syrup (~90L)? Say perhaps for 4 fluid Oz. of Black Treacle vs. 1 lb. of DL-90 (as these seem to be relatively common respective usage levels between them).

Obviously my brew was just done yesterday with Treacle, but in the raw form, Treacle is much stronger in the molasses flavor and there are no toffee/bready flavors. I was also surprised at how dark the wort got instantly after adding. I will report back in a few weeks after ferm is complete.

Update: I kegged this on 11/21. The 4 oz of treacle flavor was evident, but not overpowering. Last night that flavor seems to have diminished some. The beer tastes fantastic. Compared to a similar beer I brewed using 8 oz of blackstrap molasses, the treacle has a nicer, smoother flavor, probably due to the lesser amount used.
I really would like to compare to a British brown. Can anyone provide some names of classic imported British Browns/milds that can be found in the Mid-Atlantic area?

The only ones I've seen regularly in NJ are Newcastle Brown Ale and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I have a strong preference for the latter (it's really good).

My 2.5 gallons of Old Ale with 4 oz. treacle is still not really pleasing me after 10 weeks in the keg. But then I guess I used twice as much treacle as you did, assuming your batch was 5 gallons.

Correct. 5 gallons. I have not had those beers recently, but I def can get them. Hopefully I can find some other British examples. Just split a sack of Fawcett Pearl with a friend and am excited to experiment with that.

No I have not revisited that ingredient. I remember that you only needed a small amount and it tasted better than molasses. It has been a while since I brewed.

Back