Low temp fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman1988

Reaction score
Greetings fellow beer crafters, quick question. I have left a fresh batch of pilsner to ferment in the hotpress. Its on day 7 now with sediment on the sides present. Its dark in colour and has a strong smell.I live in ireland so the temp rises and falls. Is it possible for the batch to turn bad if the temp is too low even though there are signs of fermintation present.

We are the beer-makers,We are the dreamers of dreams-Gene Wilder

Greetings fellow beer crafters, quick question. I have left a fresh batch of pilsner to ferment in the hotpress. Its on day 7 now with sediment on the sides present. Its dark in colour and has a strong smell.I live in ireland so the temp rises and falls. Is it possible for the batch to turn bad if the temp is too low even though there are signs of fermintation present.

We are the beer-makers,We are the dreamers of dreams-Gene Wilder

What is the temp range and yeast used?

Most off flavors occur with fermentation temperatures being too warm. If fermentation is continuing at lower temperatures (which you should verify with a hydrometer), then you're probably okay.

currentlly the temperature is between 18-20 degrees celcius. And I have used coopers brewing yeast. I took a reading with the hydrometer this morning and it has just passed the start beer line. I reckon it still needs two more weeks

Those temperatures sound pretty good. If anything, lower temperature will slow the fermentation process, sort of lull the yeast to sleep, but given enough time, it'll work out just fine. I'd wait two weeks minimum and then take an FG reading. Worst case you give it enough time for the yeast to clean up after themselves and you have a clearer beer. Slainte!

currentlly the temperature is between 18-20 degrees celcius. And I have used coopers brewing yeast. I took a reading with the hydrometer this morning and it has just passed the start beer line. I reckon it still needs two more weeks

Those temps are too warm if you're making a true pilsner with a lager yeast. Lager yeast should be kept closer to 10-14°C. I'm not familiar with Cooper's yeast, so I don't know if it is a lager or an ale - are there different strains of Cooper's?

(and if you're using an ale yeast, your temps are OK, though you're not making a pilsner)

I'm not familiar with Cooper's yeast, so I don't know if it is a lager or an ale - are there different strains of Cooper's?

While this is a serious concern, I think most Cooper's kits come with the same ale yeast, regardless of style. I may be wrong.

No, warm temperatures can make your batch bad.

If you are brewing a lager, 20c is way too much.

So According to Palmers Book

Cooper's Ale (Cooper's)
All-purpose dry ale yeast. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures. More heat tolerant than other strains, 65-75¡F; recommended for summer brewing. Medium attenuation and flocculation.

Your Temps = 64.4 to 68
Coopers = 65 to 75

SO unless I am missing something you should be OK.... but it won't be a Pilsner...

It looks like Coopers does a European Lager Kit but I have not been able to find out what yeast it uses.... I get the impression it is the Ale Yeast...

Also no luck at finding their web site I think the company name is Thomas Cooper

After looking at the box I remembered it is a coopers european lager so it came with the yeast.I still have left it in the hot press(boiler room for people who are wondering what a hot press is ):). I,ve checked its condition today and its bubbling away nicely. I'll leave it a while till I get a reading. Any ideas how to clear sediment in the brew.I was thinking over time , it would clear.

We are the beer makers,we are the dreamers of the dreams-Gene Wilder

Gravity is the best and "safest" way to let it clear up. You can use gelatin if you transfer to a secondary, or maybe even in the primary(haven't tried it yet), to help clear it. But a tried and true method is to let gravity do the work for 3 weeks and you should get a nice yeast cake at the bottom and clear beer on top.

Back