Low og cause on hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a Hefe where I forgot my water adjustments, didn't measure, as I got lazy after it checked out several times in different brews. The calculated pH with no adjustments was 5.78. No change in OG comparing the the same recipe I made two days later with targeted 5.3 pH, (where I didn't forget to add the adjustments). Both were right on their mark.

Haven't measured FG on the "proper one", but I expect it to land where it always does, the one without adjustments landed where it should, but the taste is pretty bad.

my experience is you can run the ph much higher with hefeweizen than with all barley beers. In fact, I found that hitting the officially approved target ph makes the beer worse (overly tart, thin, non-authentic tasting, and bleh). Between the ph-lowering effects of good yeast (weihenstephan), and the lack of husks on the wheat to create tannic flavors, a predicted mash PH of close to 6 has given me the best results.

Back