Low Cal Booch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Kombucha is a tangy sweet fizzy drink, generally considered to have about 30 calories per 8oz... That's good compared to about 93 for coke, but I'm on a weight loss, health improvement program ... of my own design. I've been fasting aggressively, as fasting does many good things for your body beyond merely burning fat. Your body goes into ketosis, as well as autophage, during which process (the latter) it consumes damaged and defective cells for the resources they contain....... I won't include links on this..... you guys got Google too ;-). Between fasts, I've been staying away from carbs as much as possible.... not actually doing keto... but cutting out carbs. Kombucha and Kefir are the tools I use to maintain my gut bacteria, as well as bone broth for the collagen to maintain my intestinal walls, etc.
While I'm not an extremist by any means, I see absolutely no reason to put sugars into my system when I don't have to sugars and other starches are broken down into glucose, which your body uses for energy, and if you have a surplus, stores as fat for future use. During ketosis, this process is reversed, hence the popularity of the "ketogenic diet". Fasting is a far faster and more powerful way of achieving this/

My latest kombucha experiment has been an unqualified success. I began with veggie juices (in lieu of tea) from my juicer, mixed with water and invert sugar.... the substitution of juice for tea was my own twist. I then pitched Belle Saison yeast, and fermented it out completely to about 2% abv....... or something in that range. It then transferred it to another fermenter, and added kombucha starter, a few tablespoons of sugar for the microbes that do not consume alcohol, and of course a scoby....... wholly unnecessary. it took off, and soured fairly quickly, and I let it go until it was totally undrinkable.... which happened fairly quickly as there was only two tablespoons of sugar per gallon. It then was flavored with unsugared concentrate (blackberry) as it was kegged, and sweetened with xylitol and stevia to make it drinkable, kegged and carbonated Xylitol has some calories, but they are not glycemic, and do not convert to glucose,

While I cannot measure calories or carbohydrates, this is obviously far lower than ordinary kombucha. I'm happy with the product.

Note that I began this fasting process about 2 months ago, and my fasts are ALL water only fasts, but I do take vitamins and minerals. As I write, I am nearing 18 hours into the third day of a 5 day water fast which I will break either Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. That will be day 50 for me.... or cumulative fasting over the course of about 2 months..... Only 10 eating days in two months. The results are phenomenal. Mental clarity, greatly reduced blood pressure, which was dangerously high, and along with stepping on the scale and reading 202 (height 5'6")..... which I was not going to accept, was the reason I began this "program" of multi day fasts. Most of my fasts range in the 3-4 day range, none less than two days, or longer than 5 so far. I seldom have more than a single eating day between fasts, and often just a single meal when I'm doing 2 day fasts back to back.... I don't know what my stable weight is, but I hit 169 this morning, and I'm less than half way through the my "program", which I'm looking at running out to 120 days or so, with a target of 145 lbs (stable).

H.W.

hiya

I'm sure your doing this for a valid reason, I'm sure you are aware of 1 obvious risk of developing gall stones when weight is reduced over a very short period that everyone knows about( my Dr informed me it was the same pain as childbirth, believe me I had it last year). but there is a more serious condition called refeeding syndrome that a lot of people are not aware of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

I spent the last 20 years in healthcare, mainly in cardiothoracic surgery but also in end stage and terminal care, where people were unable to eat for long periods of time, refeeding syndrome is potentially fatal if left unchecked, not meant to scare you but information is power and you can make an informed choice.

Back