More fun with Bungs in the Chamber of Meatinesss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Salami. This time I'm using T-SPX for the acidification culture. I'm looking for less "twang" in the final flavor. These sat in a warm area for 2 days until pH got to 4.9.

These casings are called "Budello Gentile", which loosely translated means hog butthole (that's a joke). It's the last part of the intestine and is very very thick compared to most casings that sausage makers use. The benefit with drying sausage is that the thick casing really slows down the drying process, which eliminates any chance of case hardening (where the outside drys/hardens too fast, making it impossible for the inside of the salami to dry out properly).

I have no idea how long it will take to dry out these things, but I'll be posting progress here. I need to reduce the weight to about %60.

These are sprayed down with Mold 600, so in a few weeks should develop a beneficial white mold.

1705534178843.png

Last edited:
Back