Lots of krausen in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nethox

Reaction score
Hi!

I am a new home brewer. First batch.

No worries I read extensively all the threads about how hard it is to infect a beer and that most of the time beginner homebrewers worry for nothing.

Here I simply have a few questions and I am just trying to understand what's happening and if I might have racked too soon.

http://imgur.com/a/2nNI6

This is my secondary, primary was a plastic bucket with just a lid on top (no airlock). Everytime seems to have gone well so far, good krausen in primary, waited 5 full days. Took gravity when I racked to secondary (1.02) so everything seemed fine, other than the fact that there was still a good amount of krausen in the primary when I racked.

Now I look at my secondary and there is quite a lot of krausen present after 36 hours.

I believe I may have racked too soon, I don't think the beer is ruined at all, but I'm just trying to understand, is a gravity of 1.02 not a good sign that you are ready for secondary?

Any response is appreciated!

Thanks!

Using a secondary fermenter is generally not necessary unless you are bulk aging or adding fruit, etc. That being said, most folks using a secondary will wait until primary fermentation is done or almost done. You didn't mention the beer style or your OG but 1020 is fairly high for medium and lower OG beers. I wouldn't sweat it though, it just means that the yeast is still chomping away. Fwiw, I don't move a beer until at least a few days after the krausen has fallen and I usually wait at least 2 weeks for most average OG beers.

I definitely second that you need to wait until krausen has dropped before racking to secondary. You'll be fine, but it's just better to wait. Secondary isn't necessary but some do it with every beer and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

is a gravity of 1.02 not a good sign that you are ready for secondary?

Keep in mind that the trigger to transfer out of a fermentor is that the beer is done fermenting. From a pure numbers perspective, this means a stable SG reading. In addition, you may find flavors that you want the yeast to clean up while your beer is still on the cake.

My usual process to decide whether to transfer (either to a secondary vessel for bulk aging, or to packaging) or commence dry hopping / other additions:
- SG is at/near expected values AND
- SG is stable / fermentation is obviously finished AND
- Flavor and aroma are acceptable (or I do not feel that additional time on the cake would benefit the beer)

This time of year, there is usually a move to warmer area and swirling to prompt the yeast to clean up, basement is a bit cool.

As was pointed out above, the use of a secondary is not a proven need these days. Do what works for you, and your beer.

Thank you all for your replies!

I will definitely switch to a single fermenter for my next brews!

So, from what you are saying dkennedy, I could take a sample from my beer and taste it at any time and it would be safe?

Do those early samples usually taste good? What should I expect?

Personally I rack to my secondary for every brew I make. It's a matter of clarity for me. I like to be able to see the beer clarify over the span of a week or two prior to bottling. I know it isn't necessary but it is my preference. As for tasting your samples...YES. I always sip after taking a gravity reading with my hydrometer. It's interesting to taste the progression from the first original gravity reading to bottling day. Other than the lack of carbonation your sample will give you a fair idea of what the final beer will taste like.

So, from what you are saying dkennedy, I could take a sample from my beer and taste it at any time and it would be safe?

Do those early samples usually taste good? What should I expect?

Absolutely. Sample your unhopped wort, sample post-boil, and throughout, it can be a great way to tie a physical observation to the book process. Any time that you're taking a gravity read, you have an excuse. Take notes of remarkable traits, they may prove useful in dialing in the finished product.

It will be representative of the finished product, usually. Obviously a sample prior to fermentation will be sweet, but anything after fermentation should be strongly indicative of how the final beer is going to taste.

Back