Lot of 5 Ball Valves on Ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
I'd love to hear from other people, too ... I've been eyeing these for a minute. Seems like a decent deal, but if they're really cheaply made, might not be worth it.

All,
Just got an order of these. Anyone else use them? They do not feel that heavy. Not sure if they are all stainless. The thread look stainless, the ball looks a little shinney for stainless.

The balls are probably chromed.

The balls are probably chromed.

If its the same type that a brewer bought here off e/bay and if they don't have WOG stamper or molded into the side. Check the threads and see if a NPT fitting will thread all the way into the body. Means they have been taped to far (no taper) and will be a bear to seal. Going to take a lot wraps with the tape.

God Bless
Swagman

will check tonight, think they said npt, I order two different sets from different vendors.

I bought ones off of ebay that look like those and have no issues with them, they might even be from him.

Bought Them a while back.

They are definitely Not stainless, chromed plated brass if you ask me.

I was very disappointed, found that out when I was back home and couldn't do anything about it

when a valve is referred to as Stainless or Brass its talking about the body of the valve not the plated ball inside.

just sayin'

-=Jason=-

checked the threads, seem like NPT, the nipple stops before it hits the wall of the valve. It threads deeper than my nice 3 piece, but they should work fine. The threads look stainless, they do not like like plated brass.

I bought these...the body of the valve is cast stainless....the ball is probably chromed. But they work. You get what you pay for!

After using 10 of these valves for about 10 months, I would advise against them. yes the ball valve seems stainless, the body most certainly is not though. You can tell where the chrome plating ends on the inside threads.

A week ago I walked into my brewhouse and discovered that one of these valves had split open. It had been holding water inside the closed ball valve, and it had frozen and split out the side of the body. Now I can see that the body is extremely thin, and what looks like brass.

If its never going to freeze then you should be fine if you don't mind brass or whatever this is :p but its still not 100% stainless and very misleading.

A week ago I walked into my brewhouse and discovered that one of these valves had split open. It had been holding water inside the closed ball valve, and it had frozen and split out the side of the body. Now I can see that the body is extremely thin, and what looks like brass.

If its never going to freeze then you should be fine if you don't mind brass or whatever this is :p but its still not 100% stainless and very misleading.

That's why you never store them fully closed or fully open. Always store them with the valve half open.

Chances are they are cast stainless with a chrome plated brass ball.

Should be fine to use, just need to wait for AHS to put the 3 piece stainless ones up on ebay, last time I got 4 for around 45 shipped!

I bought these also and took some emery cloth to one of them. The body does not scratch and appears to be cast stainless steel. The handle and ball are chrome plated brass. I like them and its a good price.

I've been using these for a while also and had been wondering if they were SS as posted on ebay. they didn't look like any SS I have had which made me question if they were in fact SS. I scratched the body pretty deep and didn't find they were coated. I have a chrome plated brass valve which is showing the brass and is easily scratched. these seem to be cheap SS but still in fact SS. I kinda like that they thread all the way in. I havn't had problems sealing them like others had said. Thanks to Forrest and his deal from AHS on 3 piece valves i've replace many of them. I havn't had any problems with them.

Should be fine to use, just need to wait for AHS to put the 3 piece stainless ones up on ebay, last time I got 4 for around 45 shipped!

My ball valves are actually stainless. Ball valves usually say 304 or 316 on them if they are stainless.

Those ebay ones are not stainless. I fell for that too. I have 25 of them. If I put them back on ebay they wont sell because I can't say they are stainless.

You can buy mine here:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10044
or
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10032

Free shipping on orders over $100
or
Only $7.99 shipping if below $100

will you price match ebay, 5 for 26.50 :)

just kidding.

I will for the ball valves that I bought on Ebay because they lied about them being stainless steel.

If it doesn't say 304 or 316 on the valve it is probably not stainless.

Forrest

I bought some of these about 2 months ago. I have yet to put them into use. Now I'm thinking I won't. I'm just wondering how your sure that they aren't cast stainless steel?

I bought these also. The body isn't SS. I scratched one while assembling my MLT and it appears to be brass underneath the plating. For the price they are just fine for me. I got mine for $26. No leaks and no other problems yet.

Well I guess the question is what is it plated with? Can you plate something with SS? I'm not sure I want to use them then, not knowing exactly what something I'm going to consume is in contact with. Oh well, guess I'll be more careful with my money next time.

You can't plate with SS. Normally they are plated with chrome or nickel.

Just got mine in today. Unless these are plated with over an 1/8th of an inch of chrome or nickel, these really are stainless steel. I took a diamond file to the body of the ball valve and it's still bright and shiny stainless after going down an 1/8th of an inch. Sure, the body of the ball valve isn't as hefty as some, but it's still completely useable for homebrewing needs. Hell, even if they are plated brass, you are still getting a great deal since they cost 6-9 bucks a pop at the big box stores.

Back