Lost Causes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to link to the thread that set this off. It was similar to a question that I saw on Google+ in one of the homebrew communities a few weeks back.

The similarity was this--at the end of reading the post, there was only one thought going through my head:

"That guy's not cut out for making beer."

Am I the only one? Do some of you see threads, whether here or elsewhere, where you just KNOW that the OP is never going to "get it"? That the gap between their current knowledge and the bare minimum to brew decently passable beer is a chasm they'll never, ever cross?

You know, I think those are some of the most entertaining threads on here.
I liked the guy with the nets and juice...

I always get a laugh out of the college kids that show up, not interested in the craft, but just how to make something that will get them hammered as quickly and cheaply as possible. Then, when the experienced members try to explain to them why their beer is going to be horrible, they get all offended.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of those threads in a while.

I see stuff like that but I never think "they'll never get it" because a) they will probably leave homebrewing to go to the next shiny hobby, or b) they WILL eventually get it.

At least as far as Hobby Brewing goes. Will they ever study and brew enough to do well as a commercial brewer? Maybe not. But there is a wide variety of skill levels and interest levels in the hobby.

Heck, if TakeSomeAdvice can manage to make beer with his lotion, we should all take courage!

I think anyone can get it, but it depends if they want to get it. when I first started, people assumed I just wanted a cheap and quick way to get drunk. after hanging out in the home brew shop, I could understand why. a lot of people came in looking for exactly that: quick and cheap. when people realized that I wanted quality, they really opened up with the information and helped any way they could. people still ask me of a cheap way to make BL and such. I tell them it wouldn't be worth their time or money and to stick with buying their 30 packs, but if their tastes change I can help them brew quality. until they want quality, they will not "get it".

I see stuff like that but I never think "they'll never get it" because a) they will probably leave homebrewing to go to the next shiny hobby, or b) they WILL eventually get it.

I do think most of them will eventually get tired of making crappy beer and move on.

But I think there's also a subset who won't get it, but will have enough ugly baby syndrome going on that they think they're making good beer.

Man's capacity for self-delusion is remarkable :)

I think anyone can get it, but it depends if they want to get it. when I first started, people assumed I just wanted a cheap and quick way to get drunk. after hanging out in the home brew shop, I could understand why. a lot of people came in looking for exactly that: quick and cheap. when people realized that I wanted quality, they really opened up with the information and helped any way they could. people still ask me of a cheap way to make BL and such. I tell them it wouldn't be worth their time or money and to stick with buying their 30 packs, but if their tastes change I can help them brew quality. until they want quality, they will not "get it".

I'm thinking more of the people who want to be a homebrewer but don't really have the mindset of a craftsman.

No matter how much they want to make good beer, they're not going to take care of their equipment. They're not going to properly clean and sanitize. They're not going to make yeast starters or invest in temp control. They're not going to keep notes or records. They're not going to think long and hard about how to make good beer and have the self-discipline to follow through.

And when they don't make good beer, they'll either convince themselves that their s**t don't stank, or they'll give up.

Making great beer doesn't require a 140 IQ and a degree in biology. It *does* require thoughtfulness, planning, and attention to detail. That's a personality trait, and some people just don't have it.

I look at it like cooking. There are some people (probably a lot of members on HBT would fit in this category) that can raid the pantry and throw together a 4 star meal with little to no planning. Then there are people that could burn water.

Some of the ones that don't get it right away can come around, even if they only stick to easy to brew kits.

I think I agree with the gist of what you're getting at, but there are easier, more straight forward approaches to brewing that might be worth their time exploring.

N00bs that can't take/don't want helpful advice and wonder why it turns out terrible though...that's a different matter.

I'm not going to link to the thread that set this off. It was similar to a question that I saw on Google+ in one of the homebrew communities a few weeks back.

The similarity was this--at the end of reading the post, there was only one thought going through my head:

Am I the only one? Do some of you see threads, whether here or elsewhere, where you just KNOW that the OP is never going to "get it"? That the gap between their current knowledge and the bare minimum to brew decently passable beer is a chasm they'll never, ever cross?

I think that to myself. It is just like welding and everything else that I do. I'm always coming across people that just won't get it.

But that is life!

Ya gotta love the guy who showed up here a few months ago with all kinds of ideas on how to do stuff, then followed up with a raft of sketchy (read: dumper) batches, THEN starts a thread on how to save dumpers :smack:

The mind boggles...

Cheers!

Gary Oak thinks that about all of us heathens who are not purists. I mean, He read a book once.

I dont know. I feel the same way, until I realize that not everyone dorks out about things as badly as I do when interested in it. Most of the community here is perfectly content to learn and overshare our knowledge about this wonderful hobby that everyone should be as interested in as we are. Unfortunately not everyone feels that way. heck, most people are more interested in dedicating the time and energy and mental capacity more towards which celebrity flashed a nip or cheated on their H/SWMBO than on something constructive like a hobby.

I can't verify it, but I heard that Gary Oak was going to announce his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, vowing to read more books on home brewing.

I dont know. I feel the same way, until I realize that not everyone dorks out about things as badly as I do when interested in it. Most of the community here is perfectly content to learn and overshare our knowledge about this wonderful hobby that everyone should be as interested in as we are. Unfortunately not everyone feels that way. heck, most people are more interested in dedicating the time and energy and mental capacity more towards which celebrity flashed a nip or cheated on their H/SWMBO than on something constructive like a hobby.

I agree... Which is why I think that most of those people will never "get it".

They all think homebrewing will be great, until they realize it's hard work and their beer sucks.

True hobbyists keep learning and figure out how to make good beer. The type of people you're describing either quit or delude themselves into thinking their beer is great. Hence: lost causes.

Yeah, but....

Never mind.

Apparently a splinter group broke off from the local homebrew club here because they were irritated that people would come to the club meetings just to drink free beer who apparently had zero interest in learning to homebrew. This is not quite the same as the OP's peeve because theoretically the spongees had the ability to brew decent beer, they just didn't want to take the time or trouble to do so.

Why can't we all just get along? I get it guys, really I do. I know I don't live in a glass house for a reason; the local glazing company would get all of my paychecks. Yes, I do care what my beer looks and tastes like, and although some of my local HB club members don't care if their beer is clear or cloudy, they do care what their beer tastes like. I could be a snob about it, or I can just nod my head that their beer has a nice flavor, and the clarity isn't something I need to comment about to them or anyone else.

Haven't seen it in homebrewing yet, as i've not been here long enough (apart from gary oak of course).

In our electrician classes we call these people "suck it and see" electricians....

Back