Losing Bugs to Blow-off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjBrewer

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Supplication clone yesterday and pitched WLP530, 665 and two bottles worth of dregs into the primary. Fermentation started within hours and overnight and today I've lost a few liters' starter worth of yeast from blow off, maybe a little more. I didn't leave a whole lot of headspace so I anticipated a bit, but this has been pretty insane. Temps haven't been too ridiculous either. 68-70.

I'm sure a lot of everything I pitched has worked it's way into suspension, but I'm a bit worried. Should I pitch another vial of the blend and perhaps some more dregs, or do you guys think I'll be alright. Thanks in advance for any advice and experience shared. Cheers!

sweetcell said:
sounds like you already have a rocking fermentation... why would you add more yeast? to ensure a rocking fermentation? :D

Haha. It's definitely rockin'!

I wasn't really worried about the primary yeast as much as the other folks I threw into the party, the pedio, lacto and the Brett. Thought maybe they had worked there way out and was gonna pitch one the krausen fell. I'll definitely let it ride its course. Everything else went great so at least we have beer!

Latest posts

Back