"Long term" sanitization for pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds

Reaction score
So unfortunately my brew rig has to sit outside in the elements(with a cover) and don't really care for the idea of nastys getting inside the pump heads. I've been thinking about keeping the lines attached(camlocks with plugs) and filling with sanitizer. It would have to be something that doesn't freeze as well.

Thoughts? Overkill?

I wouldn't leave sanitizer in them for long term storage. Sanitizer is acidic and not friendly over time. I would clean, sanitize, drain completely, plug - and then repeat the clean and sanitize process once you're ready to use them again. You might also want to consider separating the pump head from the motor and store just the head in a gallon zip-lock bag. They come off with 4 screws and are easy to reinstall.

Ya, I forgot to mention that was a worry of mine as well. I could try the drain completely and cap. They're chugger pumps with stainless heads, so I've already swapped before. Would prefer not to dis/assemble every time I brew though, trying to keep brew days shorter and it all kind of adds up. It is an option though...

I bring my pump and chiller indoors during the winter. My pump is mounted on my rig for easy removal with bolts and wing nuts. I agree that leaving sanitizer in the system for long periods may be a bad idea.

I'd use the camlock dust caps. They're cheap and easy to use. If you're not already using camlocks on your pumps, I highly suggest it.

image-1992308670.jpg

I just rubber band cheese cloth over the pump intake and output. That way any left over cleaning solution and/or rinse water that maybe still in the pump head will drain out but still keep spiders and bugs from making a home in there.

I just rubber band cheese cloth over the pump intake and output. That way any left over cleaning solution and/or rinse water that maybe still in the pump head will drain out but still keep spiders and bugs from making a home in there.

^^^^ This or an appropriately sized grain/hop bag tied over the pump...that keeps critters out of the motor/armature area also.

Latest posts

Back