Getting a lot of foam on kegged Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zegster2006

Reaction score
I have a Danby Kegerator DKC146SLDB I bought years ago. I moved out of where I was using it and kept it in a garage for about 5 years. I have recently brought it in the house and tried to keg soda with it. The last keg I had with it, was a 16 gallon sankey. I had also read, that you need a long line when putting the pressure at 30 psi. So I bought a 25 feet 3/16 line and hooked it up. I bought BPW and Starsan and cleaned the keg and sanitized it. I bought 5 gallons of 5-1 Syrup that makes 30 gallons. I took out the spear of the 16 gallon keg and filled it up with about half the Syrup (2.5 gallons) and the rest water up to almost full 15 gallons. When I hooked the keg back up, I put the pressure at 30 PSI. When pouring a glass, their was no foam in the lines with it uncarbonated. After few days it was well carbonated but I was getting a lot of foam when pouring it. I have to stop about 3 times to let the foam settle, to get a 12 oz glass to fill,

So I've tried a bunch of stuff to test what is wrong with it. I put the PSI down to 10-12 and it creates a ton of air in the lines. The lines are 60% air when I do this. It foams about as bad. I even attached my old line that is only 5 feet and it still had a ton of air in the lines at 10-12 PSI. When I put it back to 30 PSI, I only get tiny bubbles in the line, but it pours way faster and I get about the same foam.

Do you think its the coupler, carbonation or keg? It does only happen when carbonated. I did try and sanitize the coupler inside the Kegerator and it froze because I hadn't mastered the temp in the kegerator yet. I put it in warm water and I was able to move the coupler back and forth. So I'm wondering if that messed it up when this happened. Or possibly its over carbonated? To me it doesn't taste over carbonated.

Any ideas? Should I try and buy a new coupler? Do you think it is just the 16 gallon keg/spear not sealed completely? Or do you think it might be over carbonated?

Kegerator
https://www.amazon.com/Danby-DKC146...0052F99LE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

You don't give the temperature, that is critical when carbonating. 30 psi seems high, I use about 25 psi at aboutt 38F, with 25 foot of hose to a picnic tap. keep at least an inch of space aound the keg. I use a keezer and will freeze if I get too close to the wall, but my cooling coils are in the wall. if you are overcarbed it takes more than just lowering the pressure, you need to blow off pressure a few times a day for several days. It takes a while to get it down. after it is carbed, it is sttill a bit active for a week, then everything goes a bit deeper, it will seem less carbed when you pour it, but the bubbles are tiny and it is fully carbed. anter 4 weeks or so I tend to pour a bit harder to loosen the bubbles up, otherwise it feels a touch flat, but all comes out after you drink it, not really comfortable....

Back