Long Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdd71699

Reaction score
Due to unforeseen circumstances I left a batch of Hefeweizen (extract) on primary for 2 months now and I was wondering if it's still ok to bottle at this point. Is there anything I should be concerned with or is it lost?

I'm less confident than the other two posters; two months is a long time to leave a light beer like a heffe on primary, particularly because wheat beers are quick fermenters to begin with. I see two issues as possible problems for you:

The first is that the yeast have begun to die and may impart an off-flavor. Two months is sort of the danger zone for that, in a light beer, but depending on the health of your initial pitch and your fermenting conditions, it might be fine. (I say that light beers are different because off-flavors, even slight ones, will be more noticeable in a light beer than in a dark beer, but the same principle applies to hoppy beers, really phenolic belgians, sours, etc.)

Not really much to be done about that, so I vote bottle and report back to us!

The second concern is related to the first: if the yeast have begun to die, then there may not be enough yeast in solution to properly carbonate the bottles. If it were me, I would add a packet of dry-yeast, properly rehydrated, along with the priming sugar. Then you'll be SURE that your bottles will carbonate properly.

Well I took your advise and added the yeast when I bottled this afternoon....thanks to all for the input. I'll post how it turns out in a few weeks! Thanks again!

Just tried my Hefeweizen and your advise was right on.....tastes great! Thanks again all!!!!

The second concern is related to the first: if the yeast have begun to die, then there may not be enough yeast in solution to properly carbonate the bottles. If it were me, I would add a packet of dry-yeast, properly rehydrated, along with the priming sugar. Then you'll be SURE that your bottles will carbonate properly.

I regularly leave beers 3 to 4 months before bottling. Never an issue. I have just bottled a beer 12 months on the yeast and I have no concerns about it carbing up. It may take a few months, but it will get there. The only beer I have ever re-yeasted was a 13% abv barleywine, because I didn't think the primary yeast was man enough to stand up to the alcohol.

2-repost.jpg

Back