Local Homebrew Store Nightmare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwetschgen

Reaction score
There is one local homebrew store that literally no matter what I go in for they are alllwways hassling me about something.

Scene: I go in to buy a hydrometer.
Me: Managed to break a hydrometer, just need to replace it...
Them: (getting hydrometer) What sanitizer do you use?
Me: (wondering the relavance, but still friendly) StarSan.
Them: OH! That's horrible that will eat through carpet! You need some EZ Clean.
Me: I didn't realize EZ Clean was a sanitizer, just thought it was a cleaner.
Them: No they don't put sanitizer on the label, it's cheaper that way.

It's the same thing EVERY time I go in. I buy corks and say I buy the cheap stuff that will cause my wine to go bad. They sold me the wrong capping bell and acted like I was wrong because I was supposed to know which way the threads went on my capper. Most recently I went in (and probably for the last time), to buy some sparkolloid for my first attempt at Skeeter Pee and (of course) he asks me what I am clarifying. I explained the skeeter pee thing and he says "oh I wouldn't use sparkolloid." I tell him this is my first try, I want to do it by the recipe and that thousands of gallons of the stuff have been made this way and it seems to work just fine for everyone else. He continues that they have a product that is better, cheaper, and will work faster. I don't know if they have interest in certain products in the store or are looking to get a higher gross margin or what but they are always trying to sell me something I really don't want. I wish I could say that it was just one employee but it seems to be the lot of them.
On one of these occasions I was asked if I had my frequent purchaser card, and I had bought a grain steeping kit and tossed it in the box with the grains and forgotten to get it out, (I really don't frequent the place), so I told the cashier, "Oh no I don't have it." and his reply was, "Well why not?"
It's a tragedy. None of the other stores are like this one. It's unfortunate that I live closest to this one, I am now willing to drive out of my way to avoid them. I just felt like I had to write something down about this place, anyone have a similar situation? Thankfully there are three local brew stores in my area that I know of!

IMO, I would tell them that you are a 20 year veteran brewer, and know what you want, and what you are doing, and if they continue to hassle you tell the to go to hell...that is the best conversation ender period.

After you tell everyone that is "trying to sell you something" to go to hell... you won't have to listen to their bullpucky any longer.

Sounds like they are just trying to upsell, remember it is a business, they don't necessarily care about giving you what you want, or have your best interest in mind (although a great business person would take these things into consideration) but they are there to make money. If they actually care , that is bonus--given a bonus that all business people should be concerned about, however some "business people" are stupid..,

My advice, is flip that shizznitt, and tell them why they are wrong, don't let them tell you why you are wrong, or what you need for whatever reason. For instance, if you are going to buy a particular item, and you know what hey are goingto say in that situation (or even have an idea of what they are going to say) be prepared to take them down and make them feel like a$$holes, shouldn't be too hard...anyhow, good luck!

Cheers!:mung:

Sounds like the "grapefruit pale ale" but in reverse.

Next time just tell them to knock it off. Tell them you know what you want, and don't appreciate their attempts at telling yo8u how you should brew your own beer.

Or just tell them you don't get hassled like this at the OTHER homebrew stores...

What's the name of the store? I might be getting transferred to Kansas City soon and I'd like to avoid it.

LHBS operators are people and SOME people have an irresistable urge to prove their expertise at every turn, and they seem to think the best way to do that is to assertively point out other's flaws, inadequacies or lack of knowledge. I get this ALL the time. I go in for a packet of yeast and I get advice. I ask for "x" and they tell me why I need "y". I have stopped trying to patronize a LHBS for this reason. When I click on "Buy This Recipe" at Brewmasterswarehouse.com I don't see a message that says "No, You Don't Want to do THAT!"

Sounds like they're trying to move all their cheap crappy inventory off on unsuspecting noobs.

If the place is convenient to you and the prices are good, then just go in there for what you need and ignore them. Just pay and leave. If there's other places take your business elsewhere.

But the thing is because you read forums and listen to podcasts and probably keep up to date on the knowledge base more than they do. So you need to trust what you know or are doing. Your skeeter pee is a good example, like you said thousands of gallons have been made that way so at this point, until you make a batch and decide maybe that it doesn't work, then go buy that. Hell I wouldn't even tell them what I'm doing.

But I think a lot of us doubt our selves and expect them to know what their doing, but in truth places like this with 40,000 brewers posting regularly, state of the art knowlege, we are usually further ahead than them.

I would just go in, make my purchases and leave. Just use them for the convenience of getting the stuff you need, not because they are a font of brewing wisdom.

Things like this make me happy about my lhbs. You walk in, they say hi and ask if you need any help, and that's about it unless you say yes. They never try to upsell and are pretty honest about their inventory.

Given that you mentioned the frequent shopper card I know which your talking about. I've never had issue with them but have read similar reviews else where. But 10% back on every 200 spent is hard to pass up so I tend to favor them over the closer store. I haven't really looked into the price difference between the two but I know for equipment I shop online cause they are nowhere close to those prices.

Now I'm gonna go make some Apfelwein and celebrate Beer Day

Yeah. As someone mentioned there are a couple. I really would prefer to go tu E.C. Kraus out in Independence, MO. It's a little bit of a drive and they have a tiny "show room" of sorts, but those guys are quick and cheap. They just grab what I ask for and give me a price usually lower than I was expecting.

Things like this make me happy about my lhbs. You walk in, they say hi and ask if you need any help, and that's about it unless you say yes. They never try to upsell and are pretty honest about their inventory.

That's what I like about my LHBS also. In fact they ask what I'm brewing and how did it turn out... things like that. If I bring up something, most times they'll ask my opinion on processes, different hops, yeast etc.

Yeah, I know exactly what store the OP is talking about. I do most of my shopping at the other store in Olathe. Its considerably smaller but I get no attatude and the prices are better.

I have always had a great experience at my LHBS, i'm part of a homebrew club and hear a lot of negative stories but they have always been good to me so I continue to patronize them. For sure I could buy cheaper stuff online but when you need it right away, thats my best bet. Homebrewers are about brewing beer, as much as they can, at the lowest cost, if LHBS can afford us that along with the convenience, then I am more than happy to shop there. Truth is, for some things, you need to get other places, and I like the honesty of my LHBS on those things.

That's what I like about my LHBS also. In fact they ask what I'm brewing and how did it turn out... things like that. If I bring up something, most times they'll ask my opinion on processes, different hops, yeast etc.

My LHBS owner says stuff like, "I love my clientele, homebrewers are the nicest people!" And, "Some of the best brewers in this town use oxygen. I don't yet, but I have a lot of things I could do to improve my beer."

Personally, if I was that agitated about any kind of business, I would refuse to patronize them, period. If I had to travel a little further to frequent a better store, I definitely would. Good businesses deserve good business.

My LHBS owner says stuff like, "I love my clientele, homebrewers are the nicest people!" And, "Some of the best brewers in this town use oxygen. I don't yet, but I have a lot of things I could do to improve my beer."

Personally, if I was that agitated about any kind of business, I would refuse to patronize them, period. If I had to travel a little further to frequent a better store, I definitely would. Good businesses deserve good business.

Agree totally, but some brewers have nowhere else to go. So the question is, use them for minimal stuff and plan ahead for bigger stuff and buy online?

When it comes to ingredients, I personally like to source locally as much as I can when doing anything. Not just for price (often more) but ingredients are more to your region and gives distinctive flavors and aromas that nobody else can reproduce.

I live in a land of homebrewing plenty. There are 4 HBS within maybe 15 miles of me. I shop at 3 of them. There are variances in prices based on their rent districts, and variances in ingredients and organization. Other than that the employees are nothing but helpful. Occasionally some mix of items I'm buying will catch their attention, and they will ask what I am doing. Even if they would rather upsell the most i would ever hear is a casual, that should work for you, but I have had a lot of luck with this, you might consider it if you ever want to change things up. Other than that they are all great with customer care and service.

I cringe hearing stories like Zwetschgen's, almost as much as I cringed trying to imagine how to pronounce his user name. :ban:

Yeah. It's unfortunate that it goes that way. I will most likely not be returning. For the record, I understand upselling, but there is a line between suggestion and pushing it.

The nearest LHBS to me is 30 minutes away in an adjacent county.. So I always get my stuff online (MW, NB, AHB) and have been very pleased with the service.

Agree totally, but some brewers have nowhere else to go. So the question is, use them for minimal stuff and plan ahead for bigger stuff and buy online?

For me personally, I would say minimal stuff in a pinch only. Like TheBroonery and others have mentioned, buying online isn't a bad experience at all, and some people prefer it. I have ordered from Williams Breweing and Austin Homebrew, and even some small vendor named Ben's Hombrewing. I've been pleased with all of them so far. My LHBS is awesome so I would rather drive out to them to buy stuff. Unfortunately they are kind of small and don't have everything I need. :(

For me it is just a matter of principle. Beer geeks shouldn't open up a retail store if they don't have people skills. I work with a bunch of computer geeks, and god knows if they opened up a computer store it would fail from bad customer service! ;)

Back