liquor store in north jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyhoundbrewing

Reaction score
i recently moved from south jersey. i guess i was a little spoiled with the quality of liquor stores like canals and total wines. since moving up here i cant find a good liquor store with a great beer selection with great variety. does anyone know of any great liquor stores in the bergen county area??

I don't know Bergen county too well, but I know up in the northern counties there is a chain called Bottle King. Become a club member for free and you get great discounts and they do have a great selection of beers. One of the few places in Jersey that I've found that carries all three labels of Chimay in big and little bottles.

edit: Seems like there is one not too far from you in Ramsey.

gary's wine in wayne is pretty decent. in bergen county so far I've found Rutherford Wine Shoppe, which is also not bad.

Ramsey liquors on main street in Ramsey (duh) is supposed to have a good to great selection. The whole foods in Paramus has a really nice selection of bombers and 750's.

greyhoundbrewing said:
i recently moved from south jersey. i guess i was a little spoiled with the quality of liquor stores like canals and total wines. since moving up here i cant find a good liquor store with a great beer selection with great variety. does anyone know of any great liquor stores in the bergen county area??

Greyhound, what town do you live in? If near boonton or parsippany the absolute best must not miss liquor store is liquor outlet in boonton.

http://www.liquoroutletwinecellars.com/

This place has over 200 different craft brews/micro and even nano brews available on hand. If you are looking to have an overwhelming choice of beer available to you, check this place out. They are about a mile away from cask and kettle home brew shop also in boonton. This place has prob way more than 200 beer choices available but i could not count them in 15 minutes. They have stacks of 4 and 6pks as well as bombers, liters and growlers. They have a whole 15-20 ft wall with like 7-8 shelves up to the ceiling which may have like 50-100 varieties per shelf and i'm not over estimating, if anything i am underestimating that is how much product this place has.

Greyhound, what town do you live in? If near boonton or parsippany the absolute best must not miss liquor store is liquor outlet in boonton.

http://www.liquoroutletwinecellars.com/

This place has over 200 different craft brews/micro and even nano brews available on hand. If you are looking to have an overwhelming choice of beer available to you, check this place out. They are about a mile away from cask and kettle home brew shop also in boonton. This place has prob way more than 200 beer choices available but i could not count them in 15 minutes. They have stacks of 4 and 6pks as well as bombers, liters and growlers. They have a whole 15-20 ft wall with like 7-8 shelves up to the ceiling which may have like 50-100 varieties per shelf and i'm not over estimating, if anything i am underestimating that is how much product this place has.

I stop by there whenever i go to cask and kettle, some of the prices are really good.

I like Garys in Wayne since its a lot closer. wine and beverage depot in Totowa has a really good selection. Wine library in millburn is also good

Im going to try Gary's in Wayne. And I work in Livingston and I've seen the one on myrtle? It's by the car wash right?
I'm looking for a very diverse borderline overwhelming selection.
I think this thread is good for anyone in north jersey looking for good beers. I've found the craft beer movement hasn't hit here yet. Bars that label them selves as craft bars have Sierra Nevada on tap and bud light

It's tough to find good beers. Thank you everyone for offering your honey hole liquor stores.

Hey Greyhound, I'm in Midland Park too. There are two good stores right in Ridgewood for you to check out. Super Cellars is very good: they have a selection that rotates, knowledgeable staff, and their prices are ok. It's nothing like what you're used to, though, if you've been going to Oak Tree. There's also the Wine Cellar on W. Ridgewood, which has a small selection of good beer. If you're willing to hop on 287S for a bit of a drive, there's also Liquor Outlet in Boonton, NJ. Liquor Outlet has a fantastic selection of Belgians, but their prices aren't great. Oh yeah - one more - the Bottle King in Glen Rock has good prices and a pretty good selection. The guys who work there are knuckleheads, but avoid the bottles with dust, and you're fine.

Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa is indeed good, but for your money, Super Cellars is better. You'll find the same stuff. The more rare things they carry in Totowa are almost always dusty and old. Don't bother. Super Cellars is where you need to be.

If you don't mind the mind-boggling traffic at pretty much all times of the day, you can swing by the Super Buy Rite in Jersey City. It's crazy. Tons of beer. Some of it isn't fresh, but it's a really cool spot. Be prepared for it to be a 2hour+ ordeal with traffic and parking and all, though.

One more thing: I think you're wrong about the 'craft beer hasn't hit here.' It's been here for years. You just need to know where to go. Heck, if you swing by the Office in Ridgewood you can get Arrogant Bastard on tap - and that's been so for 10+ years, and the Smith Brothers will have very good beers on tap. Even the crappy liquor store on Maple Avenue in Ridgewood/Ho-ho-kus has Widmer, Stone, Dogfish, and others. The Ho-ho-kus Inn will charge you a premium for a good beer on tap, but they have good beer. In fact, most places in the area will stock good beer, outside of the A&P... Man, you're a stone-throw away from Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota, a world-renowned beer bar frequented by the late Michael Jackson.

I just re-read and near bergen try b&b liquor in fairlawn on river road decent selection prices are average. Or super discount liquors on rt 20 in paterson is ok has a decent selection bottle king on the paramus saddle brook border is good too. But the all around best is the place in boonton and the place in ramsey. Gary's in wayne is gold too and so is stewart leonards in rt 3 in clifton.

@beernardo. i think thats the problem. the people i talk to are saying, whats wrong with the a&p or the place in wyckoff at boulder run? yea their good...for a few times. then im getting bored. mainly bc its the same thing over and over again. i need to get in a good beer loop with guys that appreciate it. i did hear the glen rock in is getting 8 more taps and theyre getting a cider, ommegang and 120 on tap

but im working tomorrow at barnabas so ill try to swing by the place in boonton. i just looked up the place in boonton and holy jebus. all i can say is thank goodness theyre open till 10! im gonna do some damage

one last rant
i havent seen jp or left hand since i came up here

thank you for listening

greyhoundbrewing said:
@beernardo. i think thats the problem. the people i talk to are saying, whats wrong with the a&p or the place in wyckoff at boulder run? yea their good...for a few times. then im getting bored. mainly bc its the same thing over and over again. i need to get in a good beer loop with guys that appreciate it. i did hear the glen rock in is getting 8 more taps and theyre getting a cider, ommegang and 120 on tap

but im working tomorrow at barnabas so ill try to swing by the place in boonton. i just looked up the place in boonton and holy jebus. all i can say is thank goodness theyre open till 10! im gonna do some damage

one last rant
i havent seen jp or left hand since i came up here

thank you for listening

If you want good on tap beer go to Shepard and knucklehead in haledon, 60 taps of craft brew and from what i hear carry out growlers. I'm planning on going in the next few weeks. Also 3 monks in garfield nj... they have a groupon for 2x 4beer samplers and a carry out growler for $15

+1 for The Shepherd, but don't sleep on Andy's in Bogota. It's a longer trip, but excellent selection, cask beer, and an owner who has done more for getting good beer in Jersey than anybody else. There are beers put on cask specifically for Andy's that you can't get elsewhere.

Also, go to Super Cellars after work. Just walk in. You'll see.

Holy chiz. When I walked into the liquor store in boonton, I took a quick survey and walked graciously to the left wall. I started at the far end and strutted about 5 ft towards the front of the store. Checking the racks from top to bottom. This quick urge/tingle came over me. I hadn't felt that in years. I quickly ran to the bathroom and tucked it under my belt and proceeded down the isle. I was surprised by the plethora of multicultural beers. After making my selection, I made my way towards the counter. The nick lady rang me up. I said you're welcome. Kind of creepily. But in my head I was thinking where have you been. I might have even skipped to my car and skeedaddled my way up 287 with my treasures.
Thank you lord and the other guys in the mysterious Internet. I have found my church.

Mark

greyhoundbrewing said:
Holy chiz. When I walked into the liquor store in boonton, I took a quick survey and walked graciously to the left wall. I started at the far end and strutted about 5 ft towards the front of the store. Checking the racks from top to bottom. This quick urge/tingle came over me. I hadn't felt that in years. I quickly ran to the bathroom and tucked it under my belt and proceeded down the isle. I was surprised by the plethora of multicultural beers. After making my selection, I made my way towards the counter. The nick lady rang me up. I said you're welcome. Kind of creepily. But in my head I was thinking where have you been. I might have even skipped to my car and skeedaddled my way up 287 with my treasures.
Thank you lord and the other guys in the mysterious Internet. I have found my church.

Mark

LMAO!! It's like beer meca there and if you didn't know about it's existence you would miss out, the internet is a wonderful thing.

Back