Liquid yeast suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeepDarkDerp

Reaction score
I just got myself a 12 case of 500ml jars and can now start yeast washing (Wooohoo!). Because of my location in North East Alberta it makes it expensive to get liquid yeast in. I have been stuck to using Nottingham and Safale-04 so far (the only yeasts my small LHBS will stock). I was thinking of getting 2-3 liquid yeasts in and then washing them to get some extended life out of them.

What yeasts would you suggest be good to keep on hand and wash?

Not knowing what you brew, I have only one suggested yeast, US-05. Ferments very clean at 65°F to 68°F. Keep a few on hand. Dry yeast has a long shelf life when refrigerated. US-05 is the same yeast strain as WY1056 and WLP001. Safer to have the dry version shipped than the liquid.

edit: Use the yeast once as dry, or with a properly made starter, and you have the liquid strain to harvest.

WLP 007 for Pale Ale/IPA/ESB
WYEAST 1968 for session beers/lower gravity English ales

Both floc hard and ferment clean and fast plus you can get very different characteristics out of each with different ferm temps

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was going to say US-05 as well. It's a great all purpose yeast for many a beers. I have four packs in my fridge right now. Besides how versatile it is, dry yeast also has more usable yeast than liquid per unit (or something like that). I would only use liquid if it's not available dry.

Since we're supposed to be recommending liquid strains I'd say get some Belgians to play with if you like those styles, they don't have good dry alternatives IME. My "house" Belgian strains are 3787 and 3711 (even though 3711 is technically "French Saison" I consider it a Belgian style).

I think rinsing yeast has the potential for contamination. What I do is make a 2L starter and as soon as I take it off the stir plate,fill a 8 oz jelly jar and refrigerate. Next time you need the yeast make a new starter. They last about 2mo. This way you can save any one you want.

I like the Bedford WLP 006 strain for most pale ales, that and WLP 002.

Instead of washing why not try yeast slanting, takes up much less room in the fridge and that way you can keep a wider range on the go. I have about a dozen strains each in 2-4 tubes each. I find a tube lasts a year in the fridge before I have to re culture.

Back