LHBS sells cheaper on Amazon and won't price match

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the wrong here but I really don't think so.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a 50lb bag of 2 row and saw that on Amazon they were $43 but $35 shipping. That was from one of the LHBS that I shop at. I thought to myself; the next time that I'm in there I'm going to get a bag because I'm sure they would sell it for the same price.

Well today was that day. I went in there to get a few things and asked about the 2 row. I looked on my phone and today on Amazon it was $53 instead of $43. Okay no problem. So I asked how much it was for a bag of 2 row and if it was the same price as Amazon.

She said it's 10% off and if I just buy by the pound it's $1.49. She came up with a price of $67 or something. I said yeah but it's $53 on Amazon. She said that's different because we have to run the lights and this store and with Amazon we just throw it in a box.

I said yeah and you still have to keep the lights on.

Anyway instead of getting into an argument I politely said that the reason that I don't buy everything from here is because 'he' is not competitive. I can shop online from Homebrewing.org and get $5 shipping on a $50 order and don't have to pay sales tax. Which I just got a stare.

I am a business man and run my own business and if something like this came up I would certainly price match with my own pricing!

*end part of the rant*

2-row is $32 a bag at my LHBS, but I suspect that's mainly a regional difference. I think the main issue is that they won't give you a bulk rate on a full sack -- every shop I know of does that. The Amazon price probably reflects some cost-shifting from an inflated S&H rate, I'd guess.

I've found some sellers on Amazon (and eBay and other online places) mark up their shipping rates to make up for their selling prices.

I love to do business with my LHBS but there are just times when it's either more convenient, or cheaper including shipping, to buy elsewhere. I let my wallet do the walking in that case.

Had I been that woman, and someone nicely told me about the price difference, in an effort to keep a good local customer, I'd have adjusted the price for you. But that's just me. Maybe they're testing the waters of online business to see if it makes sense to keep their doors open to locals. I dunno, just yakkin'.

Anyway - I feel ya on that one.

Couldn't agree with the OP more...as a former retail manager you gotta do what is right by the customer to keep them coming back...that's a bit ridiculous IMHO

Personally, I would have asked for the owner and see what they have to say about it. Could be a simple employee talking out of their you know what!

Man at $32 a bag I could make some super cheap beer!

Yeah I think it's total BS. I'm sure that she mentioned it to the owner. I only had to spend a little more to get my $10 coupon. They do have that I guess but you would think that they would price match themselves.

On a side note; where can I get 50lb bags shipped cheap?

Man at $32 a bag I could make some super cheap beer!

Yeah I think it's total BS. I'm sure that she mentioned it to the owner. I only had to spend a little more to get my $10 coupon. They do have that I guess but you would think that they would price match themselves.

On a side note; where can I get 50lb bags shipped cheap?

That's the thing- shipping "cheap" doesn't exist for 50 pound bags.

Regarding shipping cheap...I'm lucky enough that my parents live in MN near a large warehouse of very competitively priced bulk grain:)

That said, do you know anyone near a better supplier that visits you enough to make them a mule? I have my family bring 200 lbs or so each visit and buy my specialty grains from my LHBS (whom I dig completely and want to support as well.)

Thing is, we're all on limited income and have to balance wanting local shops open in our area vs. the price/convenience of online. It's a catch 22 if you ask me.

Man, $32-40 a bag! I would love that. 2-row is $70 here, and Marris Otter is closer to $95!

Price we pay to live in paradise i guess. :)

I agree that they should honor their online price, or at least some closer to it. Un less they somehow drop ship their online orders.

Regarding shipping cheap...I'm lucky enough that my parents live in MN near a large warehouse of very competitively priced bulk grain:)

That said, do you know anyone near a better supplier that visits you enough to make them a mule? I have my family bring 200 lbs or so each visit and buy my specialty grains from my LHBS (whom I dig completely and want to support as well.)

Thing is, we're all on limited income and have to balance wanting local shops open in our area vs. the price/convenience of online. It's a catch 22 if you ask me.

Rahr? SUPER cheap.

It's probably drop shipped from the supplier and the retailer never touches it. In that case it would be cheaper than what is sold in the retail store.
I vote with my wallet... poor service or unacceptable prices and I simply go somewhere else (including the internet).
I buy specialty grains and yeast from my LHBS. That's it. They are too expensive to use for anything else.

2-row is $32 a bag at my LHBS, but I suspect that's mainly a regional difference. I think the main issue is that they won't give you a bulk rate on a full sack -- every shop I know of does that. The Amazon price probably reflects some cost-shifting from an inflated S&H rate, I'd guess.

They gave him 10% off per pound. Which is paltry. I don't remember the last time I bought a sack of regular 2-row, but my LHBS sells Briess 2 row for $49.99 per 50 lb bag. Of course the malts I tend to use are a little pricier (I use floor malted European malts, both MO and Pilsner), which are both closer ~$70 per 55 pound bag. In either case, bulk sacks are about 45% less than the by-the-pound price.

So yeah, 10% off per pound is kind of pathetic. They can do better.

I've found some sellers on Amazon (and eBay and other online places) mark up their shipping rates to make up for their selling prices.

I've noticed this as well. All the more reason to get Amazon Prime. Although I can't say I've bought brewing supplies via Prime often (all but never, can't remember what I've bought via Prime outside of my upgraded pH meter). And I'd be all but sure that sacks of malt won't fall under Prime.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here but I really don't think so. ...
I am a business man and run my own business and if something like this came up I would certainly price match with my own pricing!

*end part of the rant*

I agree, makes no sense. But the person running the counter may not be authorized to price-match. If you feel strongly about it, I would ask for a manager.

Is it also possible that their amazon operation is somehow separate from the store? Or that the shipping costs are inflated?
Either way, they should have price-matched.

I don't feel that strongly about it that I'll make a big fuss. I know where I'll continue to shop. Homebrewing.org has 2row by the pound for $1.25 and if I spend $50 it's shipped for $5. It's insanely cheaper than the LHBS that I shopped at today.

What makes the most sense to me is that they're having that grain drop shipped directly out of the factory or distribution warehouse. That could be why she mentioned the BS about the lights in their store.

I also asked if their are margins on their shipping and she said; "yeah!"

If you don't like their prices you can pay the gas and take the time to drive to Morebeer in Pittsburgh and get 2 row for $37. Unless you are buying a large amount, the time and money to travel may not be worth it.
My LHBS has good prices, not the best, but I try to buy from them because sometimes I may need something in a hurry and I'll be glad they are there.

If you don't like their prices you can pay the gas and take the time to drive to Morebeer in Pittsburgh and get 2 row for $37. Unless you are buying a large amount, the time and money to travel may not be worth it.
My LHBS has good prices, not the best, but I try to buy from them because sometimes I may need something in a hurry and I'll be glad they are there.

I have a friend that goes to Pittsburgh quite often! Thanks for the heads up!

Check out Morebeer. I think you will find their shipping rates for bags of grain are reasonable from their PA store.

I just checked, and a bag of GW 2-row was $37 + $15 shipping to Southern OH.

Just make sure they have what you want in the correct store, or shipping could be higher.

They gave him 10% off per pound. Which is paltry. I don't remember the last time I bought a sack of regular 2-row, but my LHBS sells Briess 2 row for $49.99 per 50 lb bag. Of course the malts I tend to use are a little pricier (I use floor malted European malts, both MO and Pilsner), which are both closer ~$70 per 55 pound bag. In either case, bulk sacks are about 45% less than the by-the-pound price.

I've noticed this as well. All the more reason to get Amazon Prime. Although I can't say I've bought brewing supplies via Prime often (all but never, can't remember what I've bought via Prime outside of my upgraded pH meter). And I'd be all but sure that sacks of malt won't fall under Prime.

I get my grains around here, but I've found it way cheaper to get hops in bulk and some yeasts online, even with shipping. I also may get a lb or so of a harder-to-find specialty grain online if it makes sense. I want to support the local guys, so I get as much as I can - that makes financial sense - from here.

I have Prime, so I've looked into getting brewing-specific supplies on Amazon; however, pretty much everything is either marked up or isn't available via Prime, so you end up paying a premium.

I get my grains around here, but I've found it way cheaper to get hops in bulk and some yeasts online, even with shipping. I also may get a lb or so of a harder-to-find specialty grain online if it makes sense. I want to support the local guys, so I get as much as I can - that makes financial sense - from here.

I have Prime, so I've looked into getting brewing-specific supplies on Amazon; however, pretty much everything is either marked up or isn't available via Prime, so you end up paying a premium.

Yeah, I did some looking, and anything brewing-specific on Amazon that's available on Prime is at such a markup that it's ludicrous (5 lbs of Victory malt for $50, etc).

In my case (and our local case) I've always found that anything I want that isn't stocked, Derek at myLHBS can get me for cheaper than getting it online. Only time I go elsewhere is when I have a gift card to do so, or if I need something small and I'm already in the neighborhood (say, 3 Stars or MD Homebrew).

it's irrelevant as the shop should have matched the price (or even outmatched it a bit) they would charge you thru amazon if you showed up to their store in person (and probably bought more stuff and supported them in the future).

But I wonder how much people pay for 2-row North American.
I pay $1.00 per lb at LHBS, or $39.99 for 50-lb bag. Reading some replies it seems pretty low-cost. In comparison, I think their extract is on expensive side. $8 per 1-lb for DME, or $18-20 for 3-lb bag. Similar for LME.

Check out Morebeer. I think you will find their shipping rates for bags of grain are reasonable from their PA store.

I just checked, and a bag of GW 2-row was $37 + $15 shipping to Southern OH.

For me, it's cheaper to buy 5 10lb bags from MoreBeer (eligible for free shipping over $59) as long as I'm buying $60+ worth of stuff than have 1 50lb bag shipped.

It gets dropped on my front porch and its *still* cheaper than my LHBS. (which is also $65+ for a 50lb sack :mad: )

The morebeer is an awesome option. I have used it multiple times. But I found I can buy a 55 lb sack from my local microbrewery for $45. They are crazy high on everything else but not too bad on base.

Wow crazy prices.

My LHBS does a virtual bag for $40 for 50#'s of base grains. Allows me to select different base brains and not be stuck to one specific. That and I don't have to do it all at once. Now they don't always have a certain brand of a certain grain that I want so I outsource. I have made friends with multiple breweries in my area and when needed, the will sell me a full bag of grain at a cheap price.

Maybe get to know a brew place and inquire about going that way.

Lots of options going cheaper than what you are being raped for.

Yeah, I did some looking, and anything brewing-specific on Amazon that's available on Prime is at such a markup that it's ludicrous (5 lbs of Victory malt for $50, etc).

In my case (and our local case) I've always found that anything I want that isn't stocked, Derek at myLHBS can get me for cheaper than getting it online. Only time I go elsewhere is when I have a gift card to do so, or if I need something small and I'm already in the neighborhood (say, 3 Stars or MD Homebrew).

I've had all pretty good experiences with Derek and his crew. I now get hops from Farmhouse (the price and is just too good and the options are excellent) and may throw one or two things into my cart while I'm at it, but myLHBS gets the majority of my business. If much rather give them all of it, but needs must!

10% off per pound is the best deal ever! Just buy 10 pounds and its 100% off!

I'd go back in and take them up on that offer.

Most stores will sell their sacks for cheaper. It sounds to me like the person you talked to wasn't familiar with how things work in the shop. They were selling you grain by the pound which is normally only done if you order it by the pound. 50*1.49=74.9*.9=67.05 If you are ordering it by the sack it should always be cheaper. I would get in touch with the manager.

Yes, it does sound like the person didn't give you the right discount, unless perhaps try don't offer a "whole bag" discount, which I think would be strange.

That being said I don't think it's at all fair to assume you'll get the same discount as ordering online, especially via Amazon. In many cases the online side of the business is a completely different entity. Ordering online means drop shipping from a warehouse somewhere with very different shipping rates and very little overhead costs. To have 55 bags of grain delivered to a LHBS retail shop is likely more expensive (Amazon shipping discounts wouldn't apply) and there's much more overhead that needs to be accounted for in the product markup. To sell it to you in person at the Amazon rate would likely be selling it at a loss for them and not a sustainable business practice.

Yes, it does sound like the person didn't give you the right discount, unless perhaps try don't offer a "whole bag" discount, which I think would be strange.

That being said I don't think it's at all fair to assume you'll get the same discount as ordering online, especially via Amazon. In many cases the online side of the business is a completely different entity. Ordering online means drop shipping from a warehouse somewhere with very different shipping rates and very little overhead costs. To have 55 bags of grain delivered to a LHBS retail shop is likely more expensive (Amazon shipping discounts wouldn't apply) and there's much more overhead that needs to be accounted for in the product markup. To sell it to you in person at the Amazon rate would likely be selling it at a loss for them and not a sustainable business practice.

I see what you are saying but I just cannot see how shipping 1 bag is less expensive than shipping 50 bags or 500 bags. The higher the volume, the lower the cost. That's the law of business.

Otherwise, can't the brewshop get their own amazon prime account and ship from their own warehouse to their own shop and make money?

What LHBS?

That could be as I mentioned earlier about the drop ship. I believe that if that is the case that I should've been explained that. Then I would have no issue and wouldn't have even made this post.

Now, because of this entire situation, I will shop even less there. After all their prices are full blown retail which is not competitive. Most of the staff isn't friendly at all and they seem extremely busy when I'm the only person in the shop. That's probably because they're filling online orders!

Regardless, I can buy grain by the pound and it's still cheaper at Homebrewing.org. Then I don't have to mess with driving and storing a 50lb sack.

On a side note I looked at a barley crusher and it looks exactly the same as the Cereal Killer mill I bought. I wonder if they're the exact same mill.

Its one thing not to price match, its another when you don't price match your own prices. that's just laughable.

I'm all about maximizing my dollars, i really don't care where i get it as long as its a good price. Im not going to spend extra to support the LHBS. I only shop at the LHBS cause i need something that cant wait to be shipped.

Its one thing not to price match, its another when you don't price match your own prices. that's just laughable.

Indeed it was hard for me to not laugh out loud at this when she told me they couldn't do it. It didn't hide the grin on my face though :)

Wallmart won't match their online prices, but they will match other companys lowest price on the same items.

one of my lhbs asked other day if I was member of any of local brewing clubs (I'm not) - if I was, then they'd give a 10% discount.

Am seriously deciding whether I'll be going back there or not

one of my lhbs asked other day if I was member of any of local brewing clubs (I'm not) - if I was, then they'd give a 10% discount.

Am seriously deciding whether I'll be going back there or not

Mine used to do that, even though I was buying enough to brew 15 gallons every 2 weeks. They all knew me by first name, but no discount if I didn't claim to be a club member.

I have found that the prices in many store fronts is the same as eBay + shipping. I don't buy from ones that are more.

Until recently, I would have to pay cost + at the local "feed & seed" for bulk grains. Now a dedicated homebrew store opened that sells for less and by the Lb.

Well it sounds like I should go to the local feed and seed and see if I can get a 50lb bag of malted grain cheap. Plenty of farmers around here.

Not sure exactly, but I think I know the shop the op is talking about. If so I've had the same experience there. Sacks are pretty expensive and every time I'm in there it seems there are a lot of employees in the back presumably working on filling Internet orders.
Depending on where you're at I've heard Titgemeirs in Toledo has decent sack prices. I haven't made it up there myself yet because of my crazy work schedule so I usually resort to Morebeer.

Back