Let's start with Passion Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was given a 170g can of Passion Fruit Pulp from Australia and need a recipe to build around it.

IPAs are my go to style, do enjoy a good Saison and Wheat beers occasionally. Not interested in a sour.

So, where from here?

Style?
How much of the 170g can for a 5 gal batch?
I assume in primary (I don't do secondary)

Thanks in advance
Rick

20170125_214607.jpg

I think this would be great in a Saison.

I'm not sure what to do about the syrup in there. I'd probably just drain it off. That would be a lot of extra sugar going into the beer.

I think I'd toss the entire can in for 5 gallons. 170g isn't a lot of fruit. when I've done fruit beers I usually go with about .5 lb of fruit per gallon of beer.

I'm going to try my hand at a Passion Fruit IPA in a couple of months. I am going to purée 2 lbs of Passion Fruit and rack my beer on top of it for a couple of weeks. I'm using Columbus hops for bittering, Citra and Simcoe for flavor, and Citra for aroma. I just started brewing last month and this will be my 3rd brew, but the first recipe I created.

I made a hibiscus + passionfruit saison last summer with 28oz of passion fruit puree in a 5 gallon batch. It's very tropical and borders on fruit juice levels as far as taste goes. It's pretty dangerous at 7.5%.

If I brewed this again I'd probably use temperature control to lower the phenols since they're kinda odd with the tropical flavor of the passion fruit. I might also scale back the amount of puree I use too.

Did you add the purée at boil or during fermentation? I was thinking about putting the purée in right before I racked the brew.

My total fermentation duration was 3 weeks. I added the puree 2 weeks after pitching the yeast and let it sit on that for 1 week before bottling.

I bought the Goya for my Berliner. Put in at end of fermentation, re-fermented about 4 days then on to keg.

Back