Let's see your bathroom brewing setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacSudz

Reaction score
I can't be the only one...

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

Last edited:
I first learned to brew while living in Las Vegas. House on a slab so no cool basement, garage was hot as balls. There was no way the fermenter was going to get stashed in a closet with all our clothes, so I fermented next to the toilet. Bathroom made for easy cleanup in the event of a fermentation incident.

You aren't the only one! My apartment has carpet in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms and this bathroom is conveniently located right next to the dryer where I grab 240v from. Who needs a utility sink when you've got a big ass tub in the room! I remember thinking about brewing in the bathroom and feeling weird about it but it's not like we're making poo beer lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_164744917.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230729_164744917.MP.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Is that how "relieve" your thirst for craft beer? 🚽🍻

That's awesome. At the end of my brewday I proudly tell my SO, "I cleaned the kitchen, even the floors!" Now, the reason for this is because I spilled water and ingredients everywhere but it's the same difference. So do you proudly exclaim that you cleaned the bathroom?

Nice mash paddle. Very "loo-tiful" setup.

You aren't alone. I've been keeping my FV in the seldom used ½ bath off the laundry room. Exhaust fan gets those funky odors that sometimes are emitted from the FV out of the house so my spouse doesn't complain.

You aren't alone. I've been keeping my FV in the seldom used ½ bath off the laundry room. Exhaust fan gets those funky odors that sometimes are emitted from the FV out of the house so my spouse doesn't complain.
Remind me of that if we ever meet up for a beer at your place. LOL. Just messing around.

After reading numerous articles about how much fecal matter can be floating around in the air of a bathroom I would never consider brewing there.

You aren't the only one! My apartment has carpet in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms and this bathroom is conveniently located right next to the dryer where I grab 240v from. Who needs a utility sink when you've got a big ass tub in the room! I remember thinking about brewing in the bathroom and feeling weird about it but it's not like we're making poo beer lol.
Here is my year round set up in my basement bathroom. The floor temp remains 65-70F & it lit smoothes out my fermentation temps.
1690728071174.jpeg

I suppose that, if a bathroom is dedicated to brewing (with no pooing), it could be cleaner than a garage (or even kitchen) brewery. Notwithstanding the gross-out factor.

Fecal matter is everywhere. So don't worry about the bathroom being any filthier. You ever wonder what happens to that poo the dogs, cats, birds, squirrels and other animals do in your yard? It too becomes dust and gets detected as fecal matter when the dust is carried into our homes by shoes and air currents.

I'm sure that for most of us that keep stuff in a bathroom, that it's likely a bathroom that is unused. Especially for times that beer is being made. And we probably cleaned it just before setting up the current batch.

I've got a small bathroom on my main floor, near the patio door, with one of those modular showers (wide enough to fit 2) and since I was injured, I no longer come in the house filthy and in need of it. I considered putting my brew-rig in it, particularly as the temp rarely varies, but it would be a tight squeeze. I have used it for fermenting in on a few occasions when my girlfriend wasn't available to carry the fermenter down to the basement.
Gross-out factor aside, it's a good test of not only one's sanitation practices in brewing, but household hygeine in general.
Kudos! Brew-On!
:bigmug:

I don't buy the airborne fecal matter fear. Not until someone backs up their phobia with data. Go ahead, scare us 😨

Last edited:
I don't buy the airborne fecal matter fear. Not until someone backs up their phobia with data. Go ahead, scare us 😨
Will be good as long as nobody actually uses the toilet and flushes during the brewing process. Which is why you should stack your brew kettle thingie on the toilet seat.

Edit to add: It is the flushing that gives the kinetic energy to droplets. Unless you're in zero g, droplets will fall to the ground fairly rapidly.

Lid Up Brewing Co

Where our beers taste like ****.

My downstairs, rarely used, bathroom looks like it may be a perfect space for a dedicated brewery, but I still prefer my garage. Besides, I still like my Top Tier and don't want to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back