Let them ride or drop the 1118?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
At what point do you pull out the big gun and do an ec-1118 drop with a stuck mead? I have 2 that aren't moving, yes do have some sporadic airlock activity but no gravity changes. They're at 1.1 and 1.060 respectively. Second one was fine until I pulled it off the oak so I think I could have let that go a little longer.

Not a temperature issue. Have racked, do swirl them/stir, and have done pretty much everything else you can (nutrient, energizer, bicarb, etc) including a repitch of original yeast (d47) so I'm at a point that I'm thinking that's the only way to kick them back off.

"At what point do you pull out the big gun and do an ec-1118 drop with a stuck mead?"

Not sure i can answer at what point you should chase it but if truly stuck and out of ideas you might try this. (I have had just one 5 gallon batch that stuck using Wyeast 1388) I ended up going to 1118. Using a starter 3 days prior to pitch on a stir plate 1,600 ml water, 1/2C of honey and 1/2 tsp go ferm. Worked well and brought the batch down to very dry but good in the end.

If after a good ferment started and stopped. If no gravity change over 6 days I say it is pretty safe if you have done all the things you have. I recommend a good starter as well. But into the starter add some of the original must. I like to at least double the volume of the starter by adding equal amounts of the original must over 2-4 additions. Helps the yeast get acclimated to their new home before pitching.

Local shop said they had it......drove 45 mins, no they didn't. Said I needed sweet mead yeast (thry can special order me) because that's all we "mead people" should be using so I left with no purchase and a really boring and annoying drive home.

And people wonder why I shop online....

Order is in so holding steady til that comes and hopefully I'm back in business with these 2

Your readings don't seen correct, at least not if one is stuck at 1.100. Where did they start? Normally, I don't start a mead above 1.100 so for it to be stuck there is a puzzler for me.

Was at 1.190 originally, pretty much overshot the 1.160 old hydrometer stopped at by what I would have called 2 and a half measurement brackets. Brewer's friend said 1.190, so we went with them. Really should have stepped that one, was 4.4 lbs honey to 1gal batch. Little slip overshot on the .4, so is a process. Was doing well but for obvious reasons stalled even with sna.

Have to double check other notes for 2nd but I think it was 1.120 at start. Had good activity until I pulled the oak but I didn't want to risk that note overtaking. Should have left the oak and it'd probably have been fine and clearing right now lol.

Used d47 with both and first pitch and repitch yeasts were from same shipment. I keep them fridged and warm to room temp before rehydrating.

Had to relocate mead so checking them in the am but doubt anything's budged

Starters running really well. yeast came in today, fingers crossed they work when they go into carboys

Back