Another first timer needs your advice....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolepa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Hi everyone,
Yes, this is my first time I am making mead and I am asking for you advice: it's better to ask now then be sorry later... Yes, I watched lot of YouTube videos, read lot of articles, went through bunch of posts on this forum which helped me a lot. I wasn't familiar with mead making terminology nor with abbreviations you use here... Now I know a bit but just a bit...
So, here is my plan:
HOENY: I will be using Orange Blossom honey to make mead in two 3-gallons carboys by adding 3 pounds of honey to each of them. I would like to produce semi-sweet mead. Please let me know if three pounds of mead will be enough to make semi-sweet product.
YEAST: I have Lalvin ICV-D47 Wine Yeast and Red Star Premier Classique Yeast. I will be using one packet (5 Gram) of each of them per 3 gallon carboy and see the difference between them. My goal is to achieve 12% ABV but I don't mind if it goes up to 15%... :)
YEAST NUTRIENT: North Mountain. Will be adding 3 tsp to each carboy on day one, day four and day seven. Please correct me if I am missing anything in this schedule. I am not sure I understood how to use the calculator so do rely on your help.
YEAST ENERGIZER: LD Carlson. Will be adding 1.5 tsp to each carboy on day one but I am not sure about schedule... at all.
Now - the procedure:
1. To sanitize both carboys and all the parts which will be touching honey and water.
2. Pour one gallon of spring water in each carboy and then add 9 pounds of honey to each of them. The honey was given to me by my mother-in-low and it is about 7years old but still tastes great. On the other hand it's very thick - that's why I am going to melt it slightly in warm water right before adding it to carboys.
3. Pour three cups of steep black tea to each carboy.
4. Shake carboys vigorously until honey is dissolved completely.
5. Take OG readings.
5. The yeas was hydrated for 15 minutes prior so I am going to add them and yeast nutrients to carboys.
6.Shake carboy vigorously for 5 minutes each.
7. Let carboys seat in dark place at 67F - 69F for two-four weeks or until I don't see any bubbling's at all... and take SG readings.
8. Racking: I will be racking everything in one gallons jars and let them seat in dark place for one or two or three month but I don't want my mead dry...
I am done at this point but I am sure that will be asking more question during the process... Please let me know if I am missing anything or will have to change something. Any advices are welcome!
Thank you for reading and huge Thank you for your help in advance!!

I hope you haven't started this yet, as there are concerns -

Don't use energizer.
3 lb. honey per gallon will get you 13% ABV. Sweetness will have to be dealt with after ferment is done.
D-47 makes nasty fusels above 65°F. Either plan to keep the must cool or choose another yeast.

I hope you haven't started this yet, as there are concerns -

Don't use energizer.
3 lb. honey per gallon will get you 13% ABV. Sweetness will have to be dealt with after ferment is done.
D-47 makes nasty fusels above 65°F. Either plan to keep the must cool or choose another yeast.
Can you explain why no energizer? Everything I've seen so far says yes energizer.

This is really helpful, as I was just planning to do my first batch today. Can I piggy-back on this thread and add my own this-is-my-first-time info?
1. Sanitize everything.
2. Add 1.5 pounds of honey (Kirkland wildflower) to a 1-gallon Fermonster, fill to 1 gallon with room-temperature (tap) water.
3. Do I need to add tannins? I wasn't going to. I have grape tannin if necessary.
4. Shake Fermonster vigorously.
5. Measure OG
5. Hydrate 1 g of Lalvin K1-V116 in 26 mL RO water with 1.3 g Go-Ferm. Sit for 15 minutes. Add to must. Also add 3.1 g Fermaid O.
6. Shouldn't the must be aerated already? And won't the hydrated yeast mix just fine? Is there any reason to shake at this point?
7. Let Fermonster sit at 54 F in a dimly lit place for two-four weeks. Take SG readings.
8. Transfer to a sanitized 1.6-gallon keg and continue storing at 54F. Do I need to keep a blow-off tube attached?
9. Chill keg, force carbonate to 2.5-3 volumes.

Last edited:
Sweetness will have to be dealt with after ferment is done.
I appreciater your comment, Maylar. Just to clarify your advice:
1. Sweetness has to be added "after ferment is done" - do you mean after first fermentation or after second one and just before bottling? What would be preferable addition? Sugar? Honey?
2. What yeast would yo u suggest to use? What about Red Star Premier Classique I currently have? Or Lalvin EC-1118 would be preferable ? I can order them on Amazon right now...
Thank you again!

I appreciate your comment, Maylar. Just to clarify your advice:
1. Sweetness has to be added "after ferment is done" - do you mean after first fermentation or after second one and just before bottling? What would be preferable addition? Sugar? Honey?
2. What yeast would yo u suggest to use? What about Red Star Premier Classique I currently have? Or Lalvin EC-1118 would be preferable ? I can order them on Amazon right now...
Thank you again!
The Red Star would be a good choice. With most wine yeasts it's best to stay well below the specified upper temperature limit. Colder is betterer.
The most predictable and controllable ferment is to provide the required nutrients and allow the yeast to consume all the sugar until the mead is dry. Trying to get yeast to stop with residual sugar is tricky at best. After the mead clears you can rack to secondary and stabilize with potassium sorbate and metabisulfite. Then you can safely back sweeten to your desired level. I always use honey for that.

Can you explain why no energizer? Everything I've seen so far says yes energizer.

This is really helpful, as I was just planning to do my first batch today. Can I piggy-back on this thread and add my own this-is-my-first-time info?
1. Sanitize everything.
2. Add 1.5 pounds of honey (Kirkland wildflower) to a 1-gallon Fermonster, fill to 1 gallon with room-temperature (tap) water.
3. Do I need to add tannins? I wasn't going to. I have grape tannin if necessary.
4. Shake Fermonster vigorously.
5. Measure OG
5. Hydrate 1 g of Lalvin K1-V116 in 26 mL RO water with 1.3 g Go-Ferm. Sit for 15 minutes. Add to must. Also add 3.1 g Fermaid O.
6. Shouldn't the must be aerated already? And won't the hydrated yeast mix just fine? Is there any reason to shake at this point?
7. Let Fermonster sit at 54 F in a dimly lit place for two-four weeks. Take SG readings.
8. Transfer to a sanitized 1.6-gallon keg and continue storing at 54F. Do I need to keep a blow-off tube attached?
9. Chill keg, force carbonate to 2.5-3 volumes.
I have never used energizer, and honestly I don't know what it's for. It's been compared to using a shot of strong coffee instead of a healthy meal (nutrients).
2. 1.5 lbs. in 1 gallon will give you about 7% ABV which is weak for a honey wine. You may find the honey flavor lacking.
3. Decide about tannin after your first batch.
9. If you're going to keg the mead consider stabilizing and back sweetening. It'd be a way to restore some honey flavor.

I just received from Amazon yeast stabilizer - Potassium Sorbate - made by Spicy World. It is Food grade 14 oz package for just $15. It is stated on Amazon that is "Great for Wine Stabilizer, Preservative For Gummies, Mead, Cider & More!".
Does any one have any experience with this product? Or any advice on this? It's just kind of "to cheap to be true"....
Thank you!

Back