Less Cold Beer is Better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
I know this is probably belaboring the obvious to most of you. I've drank (drunk?) dozens of kegs of SNPA and am new to homebrewing, and while I 'knew' that one shouldn't drink good beer so cold (mid 30's) I just wasn't convinced. But recently I've really paid attention to how it tastes when its warmer and I LIKE IT. There's just more to savor and enjoy.

My wife does not agree, so the keggerator is still kept pretty cold, but I take pains to let my brew warm up a bit first.

I dont normally even put my kegs in a fridge. serving temp is what ever the basement temp is. Saturday I drank a 12er of beer that was on my workbench in the garage. according to the thermom,, serving temp was over 100. I aint to picky i guess.

You are right of course. I drink my bitter at 55F. However, during summer I take it down to 50F

All my darn life growing up in Britain I heard Americans taking the mickey out of Brits for drinking warm beer. It still goes on now! (See Coors ads) I have to admit, it's kinda gratifying to see the better beer edumacated Americans like yourself understanding that some beers should be served warmer than others. ;)

I'm fortunate to have a local pub who go to great lengths to keep their 40 on-tap beers and one cask ale at the proper serving temperatures. I pretty much developed my appreciation for beer at that place (I skipped the whole BMC phase) and have never known different.

If someone hands me an ice cold beer at a gathering or sporting event, it just seems strange.

I like cold beer. I like to drink the light stuff cold. The heavier stuff not so much, but still a bit colder than probably most of you guys.

There is something about the sensation of the temp difference that has its appeal too.

If I had to drink cold beer I wouldn't want to drink less of it.

If I had to drink cold beer I wouldn't want to drink less of it.

I absolutely agree with tat, even though I implied otherwise.

I should have titled the thread:

Beer that is Less Cold is Better, but even cold beer is just about the greatest thing in the whole wide world!

Back