Help with my beer finishing to high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmcclure8

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to an electric brewing system and was brewing my second batch last weekend. I wasn't paying attention close enough since I had helpers over, and just after doughing in, the I let the mash shoot up way to high at the very start of the mash. It got to about 185 and took me around 30 minutes to get back down to 158. After another 15 minutes was able to get to 152, where I held it for 45 minutes. I kept taking gravity readings during the mash and was getting more sugars out, so I continued on with the mash. I was able to finish out the mash, getting to 1.054, when my pre-boil target was 1.056. I figured close enough. I finished out the boil, chilled, hit the wort with O2 for 90 seconds, and then pitched my yeast. I used the Wyeast Pacman yeast for the first time. Held the ferment at 64 degrees for the first day, then let it free rise to 66 on day two, 68 day 3, and then by day 5 it completely shut off and crashed out. No activity for a day. I just took a gravity reading and it finished at 1.019. My target was between 1.010-1.012. My fear is that by mashing way too high I killed many of the enzymes, and that my starting gravity was mostly long-chain dextrins. These dextrins gave me my proper sugar reading at the start of the ferment, but these sugars weren't able to be consumed by the yeast. Is that right? And does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the beer sitting at 1.019? I brewed Kal's Electric IPA which I've done before with great success. Can I add something, or should I just dry hop, keg it, and drink it? Thanks for any suggestions, advice, or help!

I'd let it ride for another week or more to see if the gravity will drop more (not real likely) then taste it to see if you deem it drinkable. Then if it was considered drinkable, decide if you want to dry hop or just keg it and drink.

+1 to letting it ride for another week, then taste it. You can add some amylase powder to try to get it down a few more points, but that has the potential of drying it out more than you might want. Or swirl the fermenter a bit to get the yeast back in suspension and warm it up to see if they'll start working again. Personally I like my IPA's to have a tiny bit of sweetness to boost the citrus of the hops so if it were me, I'd go ahead and dry hop at 1.019, then keg. My two cents.

"Alpha-amylase is the second enzyme that is used for starch conversion. The optimal temperature range of alpha-amylase is around 155–162 °F (68–72 °C), although it is still active to a lesser degree at lower temperatures. Alpha-amylase attacks starch molecules at random points along their chains. It is bulky enough that it is not able to attack the starch molecules around branching points. A rest in the high end of the alpha range will result in a less fermentable wort, resulting in a sweeter, more full-bodied beer. In particular, a short (20 minute) rest at 158–162 °F (70–72 °C), in a relatively thick mash (around 1.0 qt./lb. or ~2 L/kg) will produce a very thick, full-bodied beer."

Mashing too high made work with less fermentable sugars. That's why you're still measuring more sugars than normal. I doubt it will ferment down more than 2 points from where your at now.

Thanks everyone for your replies. You've all confirmed what I had suspected, is that by accidentally goosing the mash to 185 for a good 20 minutes, I killed off (denatured) the bulk of the amylase enzymes. At the end of the mash and boil, I got the write numbers from my hydrometer, I just didn't make the stuff the yeast would like to eat. I'm going to keg it, and taste it. If I don't love it, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and donate it, either to an unsuspecting friend or the garden. 10 gallons is a lot if you're don't love it...Thanks again!

If you don't like it, you can always try throwing brett at it as a last-ditch, since brett will break down the complex sugars and dextrins that saccharomyces cannot. At 1.019 though, it is probably drinkable.

Back