Legal issues for business plan, advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I suspect that this issue has been discussed, so please feel free to include a link or an idea for some search language. I am considering putting together a business plan related to craft brewing. I am not interested in a full scale brewhouse, but I will need to locate some information regarding legal issues and insurance needs associated with a brew your own style establishment.

Ideas on how to start this research?

MB

My guess is that the Brewers Association is your best resource for this kind of information. If you are not a member, you should join.

Brewers association and probrewer.com are probably the place you want to ask this stuff. They got lots of guys who have gone through it, whereas you are likely to get a bunch of conjecture and supposition here...

Brewers association and probrewer.com are probably the place you want to ask this stuff. They got lots of guys who have gone through it, whereas you are likely to get a bunch of conjecture and supposition here...

Great . Thanks, all. I am thinking of something a bit different from a nano brewery. I will head over to these other resources.

Re: the insurance aspect: I would recommend talking to a good independent insurance broker that deals in commercial insurance that you can trust. They should be able to guide you through what kind insurance you may need to carry, both from a legal standpoint and for your own protection, as well as shop around for you to make sure you don't pay too much. I deal with commercial insurance a lot for my job, and while it's hard to say specifically what you need for a brewing-related venture, you will probably need at a minimum: property/rental property coverage, equipment, and general liability. If you plan on having employees then there will be additional considerations.

It sounds like you want to do a Brew On Premise (BOP)? Might want to find one in your state and talk to them. I know some states don't allow them.

I only problem I have found with those two sites is that the BA requires you to be a member (something 300 dollars) to access their "pro" forum. ProBrewer is good for your standard start up questions but I have found it a bit lacking for anything "outside the box". Which it sounds like you are doing.
Maybe just send an email to your state ABC and explain what you want to do. They will know if it has been done or even if it is legal to do so.

Back