Leftover ingredients I found.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
So, I was cleaning my pantry and found the following.

-1lb light DME and 1lb amber DME mixed together
-1lb Simpsons medium crystal
-1 oz Cascade pellets
-1lb torrified wheat

So, with these ingredients and the local Wal Mart at my disposal is there anything I can make on the 5 gal scale? If so roughly what style am I looking at? I also have some Safale 05 on hand and any yeast I can harvest from local beers. Thanks.:rockin:

5 gallons worth? Mix dme steep the grains, add enough sugar to get to 1.045, add your hops, and enjoy some 1970's style homebrew. :)

Or make some weak weak table beer.

To my mind the simplest thing would be to get 4-5+ pounds of honey and some yeast to make a braggot. Do it like a typical "extract with a few specialty grains" brew, and you can add the honey either early on or after flame out (depending on your preference and opinion on boiling honey).

Also, I don't believe either of those types of grains have any real diastatic power, so they'd be more for flavour than fermentables. Or you could go to your LHBS and get a couple pounds of two-row to add to your mini-mash. I'm not sure if there's anything at Wal-mart that could help you achieve conversion without the 2-row. I know people have talked about Beano in different contexts; anyone know if that would be of any use here ?

Ok, a quick search on braggot and I like the idea. I can get a variety of honey at the local earthfair. (No LHBS by the way).

Some of the recipes say it should be dry. I have some champagne yeast I could use to achieve that. Think that will work?

Sounds like it could make a 2-gallon amber. If you want beer i would stick to less than half a 5 gallon batch. For a 2 gallon amount i wouldnt use all the wheat and crystal but i probably wouldnt hesitate much to brew it all. I guess i would probably use all of it in a 2.5 gallon,first plug it into a brew calc to see the gravity,depending what you want for abv.

I believe you have almost everything needed to make Brandon O's Graff. Do a search for Graff here and it'll come upfirst page.

If you do a 5 gallon batch with a significant amount of honey (as opposed to a half batch with little to no honey added to the malt) then you're going to end up with something fairly dry anyways. I've never actually made a braggot (although I have a bit of experience with mead) but I would guess that either champagne or ale yeast will be fine. I like the champagne yeast in your case simply for the "I already have it" factor, which is kind of the whole point of this brew.

Anybody with experience doing extract and/or partial mash have any tips for the grains he has ?

Latest posts

Back