learning lesson from older brew guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj1angier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok new folks, what did I do wrong with the small 2 carboys?

blow off.jpg

With the hint you gave, I'll guess that you filled them too full for a primary fermentation and that the tubing was inserted into the blowoff too far which caused the krausen to go out the airlock as it was the path of least resistance.

MMmmmmmMMMm... I wonder (hey no science background here..i'm a lawyer) if the use of both the airlock on top and the blow off below would cause some kind of pressure instability.

Hence causing a siphon effect????

We need a Phd here ASAP.

Edit: just subscribed the topic coz i know it's gonna be fun fun fun fun.

Ok new folks, what did I do wrong with the small 2 carboys?

You filled them with porter/stout instead of something good??

But seriously I'm not familiar with those orange pieces, but the airlock and blowoff together look suspicious. Also the airlock on the right looks like it is empty.

MMmmmmmMMMm... I wonder (hey no science background here..i'm a lawyer) if the use of both the airlock on top and the blow off below would cause some kind of pressure instability.

Hence causing a siphon effect????

We need a Phd here ASAP.

No, there's no way with that setup.

So, other than clogging both the airlock and the blow off ( a bit of an accident), is there anything that in principle is wrong with that setup?

Probably his blowoff was completely ineffective for krausen control because the tubing goes higher than the airlock. Too much krausen would clog the airlock but never cause it to blow off because of the alternate pressure release.
Side note: I used to have problems with krausen blowoff until I switch to using a water bath to help with temperature control. I have 4 different yeasts going right now and didn't have issues with any of them. One I didn't even bother putting a blowoff tube on.

No, there's nothing else wrong in principle. A siphon effect would never occur because the tube would never be filled with liquid; it would need to be full of liquid with both ends submerged.

Didn't brew a Bud Light clone?

Sorry, I'm a sarcastic @__e....

But those orange things never worked for me, seems like I couldn't get them to seal properly.
Not enough headspace has already been guessed, but it also looks like no temperature control is being used and that's might not be a problem if its chilly in there....

Didn't brew a Bud Light clone?

Sorry, I'm a sarcastic @__e....

But those orange things never worked for me, seems like I couldn't get them to seal properly.
Not enough headspace has already been guessed, but it also looks like no temperature control is being used and that's might not be a problem if its chilly in there....

You don't need a seal for primary unless you just have to see bubbles. The airlock is only a way to let out the excess CO2 without letting the fruit flies in.

Nothing.

Temperature control is missing, but we can not say it's "wrong".

Blow off and airlock together on this configuration may not work as expected, but it's not "wrong" also.

With the hint you gave, I'll guess that you filled them too full for a primary fermentation and that the tubing was inserted into the blowoff too far which caused the krausen to go out the airlock as it was the path of least resistance.

Winner, Winner- I knew there would be blow out but thought it would go out tube. Think the tube was too tall which let it go out airlock

Wort was chilled overnight from brew day to 40 deg. in chest freezer. Took out next day, pitched yeast. This is in my basement so room temp is 62-68 most of the time. 1st day after pitch, everything was bubbling nice and behaving itself. Next day I checked it at 6 and it had bubbled out the airlocks and none out tube. I think the height of tube vs. airlock, plus the pressure of the liquid in the blow off bottle, caused the blow out the airlock.
No real damage, just some clean up. First time I have used a tube. Mostly do 5.5 gal in a 6-7 gal fermentor. But guys learning wanted to split one batch and add oak/ bourbon to 3 gal and vanilla to the other. So the teacher got the lesson, lol

Love the nor cal adapters. I just got the same parts for the speidel along with the quick disconnect.

Winner, Winner- I knew there would be blow out but thought it would go out tube. Think the tube was too tall which let it go out airlock

It's a matter of pressure. Which takes less pressure to let the CO2 out? Well, the airlock has a little bit of liquid while the tube is into a big container but that doesn't matter. It's the height of the liquid above where the CO2 is pushing. If your blow off tube had been inserted in the big container until it was just a quarter inch below the liquid, that is where the least back pressure would have been and that is where it would have vented.

The airlock has less resistance to the over pressure from vented CO2. The gas has to displace water and there is less volume in the airlock, so most of the gas and krausen mess will vent that direction.
Interesting lesson.

Back