Learned a valuable lesson today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybershadow

Reaction score
Made a 10 gallon batch of beer about 3 months ago. After a month I kegged half of it and let the other half in a secondary. After two months they both had a nasty taste that I thought was a wild yeast contamination. I dumped the half in the secondary and due to laziness never dumped the kegged one. Now at 3 plus months I tried it again just to be sure and to my surprise it was absolutely delicious with no hint of wild yeast off flavor or any bad flavor whatsoever. Moral of the story is time does miraculous things. Good news is I only wasted $20 dollars of beer. Bad news is it is so good I want more.

What was the taste? Descriptors?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Made a 10 gallon batch of beer about 3 months ago. After a month I kegged half of it and let the other half in a secondary. After two months they both had a nasty taste that I thought was a wild yeast contamination. I dumped the half in the secondary and due to laziness never dumped the kegged one. Now at 3 plus months I tried it again just to be sure and to my surprise it was absolutely delicious with no hint of wild yeast off flavor or any bad flavor whatsoever. Moral of the story is time does miraculous things. Good news is I only wasted $20 dollars of beer. Bad news is it is so good I want more.

Time does heal some off flavors!:mug:

Tasted kind of phenolic. Kind of plastic like. But i believe it was caused by the spices in the beer and not wild yeast. Recipe had cinnamon, ginger all spice, and clove.

That makes sense. Spices can tend to be pretty easy to go overboard on. The good thing is they do tend to fade with a little time.

Nice. Hey man, I just noticed you're in my back yard practically. I'm in East York. Glad you didn't dump the keg! :mug:

I had a Pumpkin ale that had those in it and I had that off flavor as well. My thought is that it was all of the cinnamon I used. It could also be something to do with the water as well.

Back