Leap Year Mead 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First What Styple

• Cirtus

• Vanilla

• Previous Recpe (Please explain)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
After four years its only going to be in the bottle for a month? Haha, great to hear from you kahuna, I haven't tasted mine since I bottled it over a year and a half ago! Woah didn't, realize it had been that long.

Hello!! its the bump! it is now 4 years from the start of this thing and please post your results of your leap year meads!! all lurkers are excited to see what happened and how it tastes like!

I bottled mine a bit earlier than most, it seems. Got the fermenter going on 02/29/08, and bottled on 01/19/09. I had a sip when bottling, but haven't tried any since then until now. I've got to say, it turned out nicely! I get nothing but honey up front, while the aftertaste is pure vanilla. I am quite shocked that the vanilla flavor has lasted so long!

I unfortunately only made 1 gallon. I would definitely try a similar type of mead again, but with a bigger batch size :tank:

Aloha Class!
How is everyone.
I hope you all have a great bottle of mead from this project, and I hope you all get to share it with someone special!
The wife and I are gonna crack ours soon, and I gave a bottle to a friend to share with his wife.... then I've got like 20 bottles left for the next one.
Thanks to everyone for letting me be part of this mad fun!
~Cheers

image-166051050.jpg

4 years in the making...still a little hot. Faint honey noise but almost non-existent vanilla.

Lots of vanilla nose, then the spicy (For lack of better word) of the wildflower honey kicks in, the the vanilla is back on the finish.
This stuff has body like no wine I've ever made. It's amazing with the flavor. Completes the package.
No Heat... at first. After a few good swallows, the alcohol burn builds up at the back of the throat, but pleasantly.

Almost no burn for me whatsoever. Very light vanilla on the nose at first, but it became more pronounced with time and aeration. The taste was incredibly smooth, not sweet but enough honey flavor that it tasted sweet? Hard to explain as it went <1.000 but didn't taste dry. Vanilla was so mellowed that it blended into the flavor, not really specific on the tongue.

But I'm with you Kahuna, more mouthfeel than I've gotten with any other homebrew. I know have a few 750's but if I find anymore 375s anyone still interested in a bottle swap?

can i get detailed recipe / review?

worth doing? anything to change. got my apiarty going now so honey should be flowing in next few months. want to make this at the end of the year.

also did anyone not wait the 4 years? i would think two should be enough?

can i get detailed recipe / review?

worth doing? anything to change. got my apiarty going now so honey should be flowing in next few months. want to make this at the end of the year.

also did anyone not wait the 4 years? i would think two should be enough?

Recipe is at the beginning of this thread.
Worth doing? Hell Yes! Even if it's just to be part of something!
Did I wait 4 years? Yup! Read this to see how:
http://www.bigkahunabrew.com/2012/02/leap-year-mead.html

Wow. I just found a couple bottles of this in my basement. Thirteen years and counting. Now comes the big question...Open now or wait until 2024?

Back