last min questions before making first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M12345

Reaction score
I am just abojt ready to go but have a few last minute questions.

I'm ising store bought cider, from Walmart, starts with a M but can't remember brand.
1. Can I primary ferment in the jug it came in or use the 1 gallon glass jug I have? I don't have two glass containers to secondary in so was hoping to save a container this way.

2. The cider has a lot of solids settled in the bottom of it which you shake before drinking. What will happen once I start fermenting, do I need to shake it every so often? When I siphon to secondary will this get left behind, is it good or bad thing?

3. Any last minute tips?

I'm going to use a caramel apple recipe I found on here. Heat some sugar and cider to make a caramel add to cider with more sugar add yeast and let it sit sums it up. Anyone got any simple caramel Apple cider recipes that are good for a beginner?

Thanks

Yes, you can ferment it in the jug it comes in. You will want to pour a bit out first as there will likely be a krausen when the yeast gets going and it will overflow.
The stuff in the bottom isn't important. Let it sit and syphon off of it and the yeast when it settles out after fermentation is complete.
Don't forget to add some yeast nutrient and shake to aerate before you pitch the yeast.

Back