lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
I have had a dark american lager and a pilsner lagering for 2 months, they both still have small bubbles coming up from the bottom. Are they done or are they still going? Primary ferm was at 55f and lagering is at 44f. I am getting ready to bottle and want to know if they are ready or just a bottle bomb in the making (want to enter them in a comp). I have a Vieena lager that was done about the same time and is totally done no bubbles.

Thanks

I would think they should be done. Did you do a D-rest at all? The only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading to see if you have hit your FG. If you don't have any significant airlock activity you should be good.

yeah did a D rest between primary and 2ndary ferms for about 24 hours.

Cool thanks

How did you go about storing your beer at that temprature? I would like to do a lager but I don't have a place that remains that consistantly cool.:drunk:

44*F is much much warmer than 'real' lagering temps, you will be missing out on the true style characteristics.

I'd hide it away for a few months @ 32*F if I were you.

I wouldn't worry too much about 32F storage. I do my lagering in garage where it's 40-50 now and beer turns out great. I agree that it would be better to store it at 32-36, but if you don't have a dedicated freezer I think it should not stop you from lagering at a little higher temp.

I have a freezer w/temp control I will turn it down, I am going to do a 24 something or other rest at 70f to get it strait then down to 32f.

robmee said:
yeah did a D rest between primary and 2ndary ferms for about 24 hours.

Cool thanks

24 hours isn't much time to get the temperture up to resting temps from primary temps. I recommend doing a diacetyl rest for at least 5 days and then rack to secondary for lagering at as close to 32f as you can get for a couple of months.:mug:

Is it possible to lager after you have bottled and primed it? I don't have room for two carboys in the fridge, so I was thinking about bottling the second batch and chucking it in there.

My guess is that lager purists will tell you it is not lagering if you are not cold fermenting/conditioning in the primary and secondary, and they are probably right, but my personal experience has been that cold conditioning lagers or bocks in the bottle greatly improves the final product....

Back